Is it Time to Relax? Help!

bajanplums1

I am experiencing a lot of shedding and a bit of breakage. The odd thing is, I am not using any direct heat, I have only been rollersetting or airdrying while in rollers. My roots are out of control and at this point, I don't even know where I am since a relaxer. I know it was in August, but I'm not sure which date (I think it was the 25th). This means that I between 7 and 10 weeks. Some parts of my hair have 1/2" new growth, other parts I feel NO NEW GROWTH and other parts 3/4" new growth.

I cannot take the shedding. I was going to extend my relaxer to Thanksgiving, but my hair is really unmanageable now.

Please help.

Queenie

My recommendation is to treat your scalp with garlic oil (pre-shampoo) for the shedding or use garlic shampoo.

My recommendation for the breakage is a lot of moisture and a hot oil treatment to get your moisture levels up and soften the new growth. Coconut oil is good for that.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When do you notice the shedding and breakage? when you just wear your hair out or when you comb it?

If you comb your hair alot, avoid doing so. Also moisturize your hair more to avoid breakage. Just because your hair sheds doesn't mean you need a relaxer. Getting a relaxer depends on when you want to get one and how long you can deal with the new growth.

Falon

In addition to keeping the hair moisturized and using coconut oil to soften the new growth...it may be time to whip out some heavy duty protein. My breakage picks up around week 6-7 post touch up. I just did an Aphogee treatment on Sunday to hold it down a bit.

hOnii

this happens to relaxed hair when it needs a perm. try to avoid combing before you get a perm. or you can but in braids or weave to extend the time to get a touch up.