Is it worth it?

leona2025

Ok so I'm trying to do braids for the whole summer to kind of give my hair a break from heat and styling. My cousin agree to do my cornrows for $10. She does really good braids. I'm going to get it done every 2 to 3 weeks or so. Everywhere I checked before wants 30+ for the feed in cornrows I want.

The problem is she lives in a really bad part of town. The area is very run down, folks hanging all out on the street, children running wild and I am nervous about going there. My friend agreed to go with me and I think the benefit of cheap braids are going to out weight my fear. What do ya'll think? Is it worth it?

RadiantBeauty

Ok so I'm trying to do braids for the whole summer to kind of give my hair a break from heat and styling. My cousin agree to do my cornrows for $10. She does really good braids. I'm going to get it done every 2 to 3 weeks or so. Everywhere I checked before wants 30+ for the feed in cornrows I want.

The problem is she lives in a really bad part of town. The area is very run down, folks hanging all out on the street, children running wild and I am nervous about going there. My friend agreed to go with me and I think the benefit of cheap braids are going to out weight my fear. What do ya'll think? Is it worth it?

Could your friend meet you at your house? Or you meet up somewhere half way and go to your house together instead?

msa

Pay her more money (like 30$) and ask her to come to your house instead. That way she's better compensated for her work and has the money to cover transportation. 10$ is just not a fair price to pay for cornrows anyway, even if she is family. I would feel lie I was taking advantage of her.

sqzbly1908

Leona - what side of town are you talkin' about? If you are going every 2-3 weeks it should not be that bad - (I guess) Can she come to your house?

Urban

Pay her more money (like 30$) and ask her to come to your house instead. That way she's better compensated for her work and has the money to cover transportation. 10$ is just not a fair price to pay for cornrows anyway, even if she is family. I would feel lie I was taking advantage of her.

lol, I was just about to say this... How long does it take? An hour, two hours? Imagine working for that amount an hour ... esp for someone who lives in a 'bad part of town' ... I'd want to help a little bit more...

leona2025

Could your friend meet you at your house? Or you meet up somewhere half way and go to your house together instead?

I would be willing to do this, but my cousin is only 15 and has no one to take her back and foward, which is why I was coming to her.

I don't know what the actually going rate of cornrows is since I have never had them. I did offer to pay her 20.
Leona - what side of town are you talkin' about? If you are going every 2-3 weeks it should not be that bad - (I guess) Can she come to your house?

I'm talking about Lockwood and Reed Rd. I don't know if it's actually a bad part of town. That's what I was told and looks like it could be.

lol, I was just about to say this... How long does it take? An hour, two hours? Imagine working for that amount an hour ... esp for someone who lives in a 'bad part of town' ... I'd want to help a little bit more...
She said it would only take 30 minutes and I did offer to pay 20.

BrownEyez22

I would be willing to do this, but my cousin is only 15 and has no one to take her back and foward, which is why I was coming to her.

I don't know what the actually going rate of cornrows is since I have never had them. I did offer to pay her 20.

I'm talking about Lockwood and Reed Rd. I don't know if it's actually a bad part of town. That's what I was told and looks like it could be.

She said it would only take 30 minutes and I did offer to pay 20.

I'm in Houston too, I think being over there for 30mins is not gonna kill you or get you killed... LOL...

My fav soul food resturant is over there & there's quiet a few interesting characters be cautious but, you'll be alright.

Last edited:

leona2025

I'm in Houston too, I think being over there for 30mins is not gonna kill you or get you killed... LOL...

My fav soul food resturant is over there & there's quiet a few interesting characters be cautious but, you'll be alright.

:lachen:I was raised on a dead in street in Acres Homes and my mom did not allow us out the front yard, lol. I told my mom that I didn't think it was really any worse than that. It's just that so many people are telling me bad stuff about the area it kinda made me nervous.

liteskinshowdy

I would do it, thirty minutes every two to three weeks isn't bad and I'm sure she would love the cash being 15 years old. This could also be bonding time, I have cousins and we aren't close at all.

BrownEyez22

:lachen:I was raised on a dead in street in Acres Homes and my mom did not allow us out the front yard, lol. I told my mom that I didn't think it was really any worse than that. It's just that so many people are telling me bad stuff about the area it kinda made me nervous.

Lol...I can understand being cautious, if you were going to a microbraiding session I would say nay. Since it's only 30mins I think you'll be okay.

What type of car u driving:look: J/K:lachen:

leona2025

Lol...I can understand being cautious, if you were going to a microbraiding session I would say nay. Since it's only 30mins I think you'll be okay.

What type of car u driving:look: J/K:lachen:

LOL. My baby won't catch any side eyes. I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand AM. Lol. You know what I don't like 610 traffic at 5. I hate freeways. My husband's cousin use to braid my hair in micros, but she is always so busy and is hard to get in touch with.

I texted my cousin this mroing and she didn't answer back. I don't know because I had gotten lost finding her house and I called her like 50 times and she call me back and hung up before I could answer. When I got home she called me and told me she had fallen asleep and had not heard the phone ring. I was like:ohwell:, but you called me and hung up. So I don't know maybe she doesn't want to do it. I told her I would pay her more.

msa

LOL. My baby won't catch any side eyes. I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand AM. Lol. You know what I don't like 610 traffic at 5. I hate freeways. My husband's cousin use to braid my hair in micros, but she is always so busy and is hard to get in touch with.

I texted my cousin this mroing and she didn't answer back. I don't know because I had gotten lost finding her house and I called her like 50 times and she call me back and hung up before I could answer. When I got home she called me and told me she had fallen asleep and had not heard the phone ring. I was like:ohwell:, but you called me and hung up. So I don't know maybe she doesn't want to do it. I told her I would pay her more.

You have to remember the rules of getting your hair done at somebody's house. You are really on their schedule. Yeah, you hairdo is going to be cheaper (basic cornrows usually start at 50$) but you will have to put up with more.

And your cousin is 15 so there will probably be more drama. But, you can take this opportunity to drop some tidbits about good haircare and how a person should treat their customers.

Also, I'd start off paying her 20-25$. Tell her that you'll go up to 30-40$ after she shows you that you can count on her to get your hair done and to do it well. That's what I do with all my foster sisters and they always do a good job because they know I'll pay them well and tip them. I usually pay them 60$ for a full weave since I know in the shop I'd be paying hundreds.

leona2025

You have to remember the rules of getting your hair done at somebody's house. You are really on their schedule. Yeah, you hairdo is going to be cheaper (basic cornrows usually start at 50$) but you will have to put up with more.

And your cousin is 15 so there will probably be more drama. But, you can take this opportunity to drop some tidbits about good haircare and how a person should treat their customers.

Also, I'd start off paying her 20-25$. Tell her that you'll go up to 30-40$ after she shows you that you can count on her to get your hair done and to do it well. That's what I do with all my foster sisters and they always do a good job because they know I'll pay them well and tip them. I usually pay them 60$ for a full weave since I know in the shop I'd be paying hundreds.

You are so right. This could be a time of bonding. I really want to get it done and so I'll go over there one more time. If it doesn't work out I guess it's not ment to be and I will have to find someone else.