Is less product truly more?

chayil0427

Ladies

I'm noticing that a lot of product I'd writen off work a lot better if I only use a dab...among this catagory is a large selection of oils, butters, and dressings. I had ditched Elasta QP Mango Butter, but I noticed last night that if I only use dime sized amounts instead of a glob it really makes my hair soft and shiney. Also, I don't think I need nearly as much conditioner as I've been using.

I know macherieamour said on her blog that when she used less conditioner and setting products her hair came out with a lot more body and movement.

Is anyone else noticing that using less product is more?

Chayil

Mars_Reiko

Yes I noticed that as well. I've been using ORS conditioner and i realized that i have to in easy with that stuff. Otherwise, I'll have a lot off greasy residue. I noticed that with my other products to, like my NTM leave in. Just a litte will due:)

macherieamour

Yeah, I think less is more. Also, I find that if you are using a good shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioning, you really dont seem to need a lot of product

Kari107

I also agree. When I use too much product my hair the product seems to do reverse of what it is suposed to do. When I use a light amount my hair seems to come out better. Although that doesn't always happen since I'm a bit heavy handed.

Artemis

Same here. It's a lesson I'm still learning. It's hard not to slather on product, esp. when it's got really good ingredients (and if you're in the use it up challenge :cool:)

artemis_e.

Missi

I agree: I learned the hardway that too much products causes the hair to be stiff: i love my bouncy hair: it moves when I move: but since I love all my products: to break my habit: i'll use more of one product then using 5 different ones at once.

Aidenberry03

Boy I still need to learn how to lighten up. Cause my theory is...the more the better!!!!:look:

Greasy hair is my thing, plus I keep it in a bun anyway. But I am going to try the less is more approach. Just trying to figure out how:lol: :lol:

Any suggestions?

Lusa

This is very true especially when it comes to leave-in conditioners, and moisturisers. I find that my hair is not weighed down with a coating that leaves residue at the touch.

*Y'all remember the days of Pink Moisturiser and "the shine"?*:lol:

NuMe2004

I completely agree that less is more. I enjoy my hair a lot better when it's not weighed down with oils. gels, or pomades.

RubyWoo

I agree that less is definitely more! I find that my hair actually looks better(more body and shine) when I don't OD on the amount of product I use. I used to be pretty heavy handed but not any longer.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Aidenberry03 said:
Boy I still need to learn how to lighten up. Cause my theory is...the more the better!!!!:look:

Greasy hair is my thing, plus I keep it in a bun anyway. But I am going to try the less is more approach. Just trying to figure out how:lol: :lol:

Any suggestions?

You and me both! :blush:

hothair

I think it is, i'd given up on castor oil cause I thought it was too thick for my hair but after my wash yesterday I put very little on my fingers and ran over my scalp and it made my hair soooo soft. i have now added a few drops to my leave in spray and my hair dried so soofffttt

schipperchow1

I think it depends on the product & the look you're trying to achieve.

I only started using oils again last year when I noticed that my hair was becoming dry & brittle...a condition I had never experienced before...all of my experimenting w/highlights, etc finally caught up with me.:(

Anyway, if I'm wearing a bun or french braid, I don't mind if I have a lot of leave-in moisturizers on my hair, but I tend to experience more shedding w/a lot of oil...I think the hair's stick to each other:perplexed But, if I'm wearing my hair out, I use very little product because I love for my hair to swang;)

LikeNoOther

Most definitely - More body, shine, bounce etc. Less products, IME, also seem to make my hair stay cleaner longer :)