Is Mineral Oil really bad? Or is it all hype?

I apologize if something similar has been posted already, my searches came up short.

So I came across this site and decided to take a closer look at the ingredients in my favorite products.

http://tightlycurly.com/Ingredients.aspx

It was interesting. Some products that I thought were no-nos came out as being better than their natural alternative. I've noticed this with my own hair. Those 'chemically manufactured products' have been working better than some of the natural stuff.

What I like about this site is that it gives rankings to the different ingredients, making it easier to understand the impact they have on the hair.

Here's something that made me go hmm...

Mineral oil (aka Paraffinum liquidum)
Okay
“One of the most benign of all cosmetic ingredients”. A good conditioning ingredient, providing slip so the comb glides through hair more easily. This ingredient has gotten an undeserved reputation for being harmful. For more information, see mineral oil
Source(s): Begoun

from here

mineral oil
. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Now these all talk about skin...NOT hair, so there might be a difference. However, sometimes I wonder. I've never had a problem with mineral oil products as long as I used them properly. In fact, I've had some products that are heavy on the mineral oil (Dabur Amla) work like a charm on my hair. Maybe if there is a chemist in the building, this can be straightened out. I don't want to deny myself of something that actually works because of what could be an exagerration of harmfulness.

On another note, I found this too...
Castile soap
Caution
A soap (soaps are made from a reaction between an oil and a strong alkali like sodium hydroxide) made from olive oil that can severerly dry out the hair, and irritate the scalp. Pg 253.
See also: Soap Irritant
Source(s): Begoun

There was also information about silicones not being as harmful as many assume.

This is all very interesting.

naijamerican

You know, I'm starting to question the mineral oil/petrolatum ban that people have imposed on themselves. My thing is, I would probably moisturize with a totally organic/natural product, but seal with a product with mineral oil or petrolatum because they don't moisturize but do work as good sealants.

BotanyGrl

My hair doesn't have a problem with mineral oil. A few of my staples have LHCF no-no ingredients... just use what works.

sharifeh

ive also wondered about this
because these products with no mineral oil have not been working as well for me...
then again i wouldn't be here if my hair was perfect so mineral oil must have been doing something wrong

757diva

I think it depends on the person's hair. My hair loves products with mineral oil but a small about maybe on the last line and the line about on the ingredient list. As long as a use a little bit and wash my hair every 2-3 days a week then my scalp is fine. I do love my natural products though.....They have given me more to work with and I find they aren't that expensive since most of the stuff is in my house already.

simcha

Mineral oil just doesn't work for me. It makes my hair dry. But then again, so does petroleum, lanolin and too much protein (or I'm beginning to think certain types of protein). Wax in products causes my hair to break.

If it works for you keep using it.

The Princess

I don't know, cause a few of my fav has mineral oil in it, like ORS Olive Oil creme. I love this stuff creme. However I do rinse my hair frequent. But if it works for you and your hair is thriving go for it.

LynnieB

You know what? I can see an issue if you're slathering these products on your scalp and skin but who does that? Then again, some folks do and experience no problems whatsoever.

Most people apply the product to their HAIR.

I have no problems with many of the products that get poo-poo'd on the various hair boards, some of these products work great for me. I don't coat my scalp with them, only the hair and it's perfectly fine.

We have to do what works with what ever products work well. Maybe the products are 100% natural, maybe they aren't.

Best to not have a closed mind or limit yourself about any of these products (natural or not natural).

Educate yourself, pay attention to how your hair/scalp react to products and make decisions based on your own individual needs.

But that's just me :perplexed

Stormy

I also think it depends on the person. I don't like it because it's never really done anything to help my hair, but my son's hair was so knotty looking along the edges (he has waves and grows his hair pretty thick before cutting) and all of his friends recommended Blue Magic of all things! It has all the bad stuff we talk about. I kept telling him what a big no no that is! Anyway, he said he would try some from the cap and if it didn't work would take it back. Well, lo and behold that stuff smoothed his edges out, gave him sheen, moisture and his waves look even better! He loves that stuff and I'm glad he didn't listen to me!!! :yep:

Now, on the other hand my husband keeps changing hair care products, which ALL have mineral oil, petroleum or both in them so I guess they're not working well for him. Or, I think they work for a hot minute, but that's all.

Just depends on the person's hair.

msa

I think you should do everything in moderation. I only use pure, natural products. But if I tried to survive on just castor oil, with no water or water once a week, my hair would be bone dry.

Mineral oil, silicones, etc. etc. are find as long as your regimen is balanced and you have the ability to assess your hair's health and make sure it's not suffering.

I can believe what they said about castile soap. Soap in general for me is drying because of the sodium chloride/hydroxide that is used. Castile soap, by itself, would have my hair crackling. But mixed and diluted with other things, it's great.

Silicones by themselves aren't bad and they have an important role in protecting the hair from heat and making it feel smooth and silky. But using all silicone laden products would probably be a bad idea.

Everything in moderation.

LynnieB

Everything in moderation.

:yep:

In the beginning of my natural journey, I found myself veering off into the realm of 100% natural products and although some of these things work great (just like some of the un-natural ones), I felt I was overly limiting myself when I really didn't have to.

I dunno, it's hard to explain it without sounding :drunk:.

I like and enjoy both natural and un-natural products and use either freely or as needed.

Thanks for all the responses. I too LOVE natural products such as molasses (STAPLE!), Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, etc...

I haven't had much success with store bought natural products for some reason.

I definitely agree with using what works for you. It's important to be informed about what we are putting in our hair, and knowing how to use them properly. I rode the 'no mineral oils' train hard in the beginning and have found that my hair thrives just as much on products with mineral oil. It's all about knowledge. Mineral oil has its downsides, but it isn't the end all to a product that might work well for you.

BrooklynSouth

I use a few products with Min. oil but it must be very low on the list of contents. Mineral oil and petroleum blocks the other ingredients from penetrating-leaves me brittle and dry.

msa

:yep:

In the beginning of my natural journey, I found myself veering off into the realm of 100% natural products and although some of these things work great (just like some of the un-natural ones), I felt I was overly limiting myself when I really didn't have to.

I dunno, it's hard to explain it without sounding :drunk:.

I like and enjoy both natural and un-natural products and use either freely or as needed.

I completely understand what you mean.

Everyone needs to find their own hair philosophy...whether it's about heat or mineral oil or relaxing. Just do you.

I love 100% natural (and edible mainly) products. Makes me feel better and it's helping to protect my health. While it may be limiting to others, it doesn't feel like it to me because I like it.

Don't put artificial limits on yourself just because the board majority (ie random chicks behind a computer screen) says something is bad. If it works for you and you like it, use it!

OP, I'm just happy to see you doing your research. More people need to follow your lead.

Luscious Locks

great thread. i'm feeling like i've been denying my hair some good possible products by avoiding mineral oil like the plague.

Waxes on the other hand, are a total nono. They make my hair so hard! Carol's Daughter products are sooooo waxy. They make my hair feel like twizzler strands--all gummy and weird.

shasha8685

You know, I'm starting to question the mineral oil/petrolatum ban that people have imposed on themselves. My thing is, I would probably moisturize with a totally organic/natural product, but seal with a product with mineral oil or petrolatum because they don't moisturize but do work as good sealants.

This is exactly how I use products with mineral oil! During the winter, I moisturize with ORS Carrot Oil and then seal with Mizani H2O Rose Hairdress (which has mineral oil in it). I don't slather it on and I wash my hair frequently so it hasn't been detrimental to my hair.

bedazzled

I use mineral oil to seal. I put in my leave in - HE LTR, then Seyani Hair Butter (Which is shea butter and a bunch of other natural oils), and then I seal it with a thick cream by razac, which is basically water & mineral oil (theres other ingredients but these are the first 2 ingredients)..and it actually helps keep my hair moisturized and I only have to moisturize my hair now every other day/every two days. When I used to try to just seal with oil I noticed my hair would be a bit dry by the end of the day/early morning so I decided to moisturize, then oil then seal with a heavy cream with mineral/petrolateum or seal with a grease/vaseline. I believe Chicoro does the same thing.

ResultsMayVary

:perplexed
I still use a few products here and there that contain mineral oil, its not the first ingredient on the list, but its there. For instance, I use Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner as a moisturizer in between washes. My hair seems to respond well to these products which is why I continue to use them. However, they are definitely not my daily products.

Afrobuttafly

This is the info I was going by.
It is a petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap. It can be labeled as:
Mineral oil
Liquidum paraffinum (also known as posh mineral oil!)
Paraffin oil
Paraffin wax
Petrolatum

Source: http://www.health-report.co.uk/ingredients-directory.htm#mineraloil
And you will find very similar claims on various places around the WWW. The above site is a health site not a hair specific site.

How do I know what info is accurate? :( I'm sure people that have ties with hair products and companies would prefer we believe that mineral oil is not harmful because it's in 13366476% of products..and they wouldn't want us to stop buying them. Not saying the tightcurly info cannot be true, but I dunno. I'm confrused. :ohwell: For now I'll still mostly stay away from it..:perplexed

Angelicus

I use things with mineral oil. I don't use it every day. It's certain products that I have a problem with (mainly products in the ethnic section :look: ) because they use mineral oil as a filler.