Is protein necessary?

mohair

I was just wondering if protein was necessary. Everytime I put something on my hair that contains protein the texture is horrible and I experience lots of shedding. Does anyone else have this experience. Just wondering..

Avaya

Just follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Also there are different strengths of protein; some are mild and o.k. for weekly use others are "hard-core" and should only be done every 4-6 weeks.

Hair definitely needs protein as protein is what hair is composed of.

I know there are a bunch of threads floating around here on protein. I would do a search for you and provide you with the links but I'm soooo tired.

Search from like 3 months or Older that way you can get stuff from a few months back which will contain more information than the more recent posts.

Porsche19

If you are natural you may need less protein, but everyone can benefit from it.

Everyone does not need hardcore protein though. I use light and heavy (keratin based but not as strong as hardcore protein) protein treatments and don't feel the need to use anything stronger.

Maybe you were using something to potent? A lot of lighter protein conditioners even have conditioning agents in them.

Honi

There is no board.
In my experience it was the type of protein that made my hair hard. My hair hates aloe vera! Everytime I used a product like cholesterol with aloe vera, cream of nature extra moisturizing (I suspect it had more aloe than the one with the red top) my cuticles would be standing up, feeling very rough and my hair would get extremely tangled even after following up with a moisturizing conditioner. The only product that my hair loves is Aubrey Organics which has aloe vera in it. I can't explain that one though. LOL My reconstructor choices are definitely limited. I will never stray away from it ever.

Belle Du Jour

I'm taking a break from protein because my fin hair may not be able to take it. I plan on incorporating it into my routine say once a month or once every 2 months instead of weekly (like I was doing).

I think it also depends on the type of protein you use, too. Supergirl posted a wonderful thread about this.

My hair likes the lighter proteins like milk, wheat, silk, etc. And I only need to use those sparingly.