Is Sealing Manditory for Retaining Length

ilah

After reading through the different threads I've noticed a lot of reggies that include sealing ends.

Is sealing manditory (or one of the best possible means) for retaining length?

What about sealing relaxed ends durring transition.
I've been really bad about caring for my ends :spank:

But I figured since I wear a bun 98% of the time and I'm going to be cutting them off anyway once my transition is complete I should be ok.....Right? Should I put more effort into my ends???

silkii_locks

I don't think it's absolutely neccessary. My hair has gone from above APL to neary MBL in
2 1/2 years and I don't think I've ever "sealed" my ends. Though I will put a little coconut oil and concetrate on my ends when it gets dry, I don't know if that would be considered "sealing".

I also use very good deep conditioners and keep my moisture / protein balance in check. That's what has worked for me. Hope This Helps!

hopeful

I don't think it's absolutely neccessary especially if you are doing a lot of other things right. Also, like you said, you'll be going natural anyway. IMO it's most important that you take good care of your newgrowth since that's what you'll be keeping.

Jazala

Not necessary if you are bunning mostly. If you wear your hair loose you will want to make sure your cuticles are sealed or your hair will become dried out by the end of the day.

candita

Not necessary if you are bunning mostly. If you wear your hair loose you will want to make sure your cuticles are sealed or your hair will become dried out by the end of the day.

I've on this board for years and never figured out what sealing was. :wacky: So glad to finally know! LOL

Miss AJ

Nope, I retained length before I knew what sealing was, and when I did learn about it I only did it when i wore buns because they tore my ends up.