Is telaxing the same as texturizing?

morehairplease

I ask this b/c my hair is currently extremely short but I am wanting to get a texturizier. With the length being so short, can I get a texturizer and as it is grows will it be considered telaxed?

Thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

Last edited:

drasgrl

I think they are the same thing. I thought it was when you leave relaxer on for a short amount of time as opposed to the maximum.

didirose

It's the same look but different process/chemical. Texlaxers use a relaxer system for a shorter period of time and/or weakend with oil. Texturizers use a chemical specifically designed to loosen the coil of the hair but necessarily make it straight. Either way your hair should still look slightly relaxed as opposed to bone straight. HTH!

Neala21

A texturizer is of a different chemical makeup and meant for those with shorter hair, although they now make texturizers for longer lengths to relax the natural curl.

Texturizer is pretty much a curl/wave kit to loosen/enhance curls.

Texalaxing is the process of using a relaxer and purposesly underprocessing the hair. So leaving it on for a few minutes or so to loosen texture.

So they are almost the same thing but different. You can't apply a texturizer kit and then try to change over to a relaxer(to texalax); you can but you can't overlap the two as it will cause major breakage.

You can achieve the same look with either just be mindful of which chemical kit you want to use.

bbdgirl

It's the same look but different process/chemical. Texlaxers use a relaxer system for a shorter period of time and/or weakend with oil. Texturizers use a chemical specifically designed to loosen the coil of the hair but necessarily make it straight. Either way your hair should still look slightly relaxed as opposed to bone straight. HTH!

Can you give an example of a specific texturizer and what the chemical is.

didirose

if you compare ingredients they have the same chemicals, lye (sodium hydroxide) or no lye (calcium or lithium hydroxide)

Ingredients may be the same but the concentration of those ingredients are different. You may want to call the manufacturer to get the specifics on the texturizer you desire to learn more about.

Ingredients may be the same but the concentration of those ingredients are different. You may want to call the manufacturer to get the specifics on the texturizer you desire to learn more about.

this is true. same ingredients different strengths.

morehairplease

A texturizer is of a different chemical makeup and meant for those with shorter hair, although they now make texturizers for longer lengths to relax the natural curl.

Texturizer is pretty much a curl/wave kit to loosen/enhance curls.

Texalaxing is the process of using a relaxer and purposesly underprocessing the hair. So leaving it on for a few minutes or so to loosen texture.

So they are almost the same thing but different. You can't apply a texturizer kit and then try to change over to a relaxer(to texalax); you can but you can't overlap the two as it will cause major breakage.

You can achieve the same look with either just be mindful of which chemical kit you want to use.

thanks so much. I will wait until my hair has gained length and then telax b/c I do not want to take the chance of overlapping at all.

thanks ladies for the responses!

Last edited: