Is the Naturalaxer Just a Bentonite Clay Mix?

vkb247

Check out what I found at NC:

"Natural-laxer is a good brand, but you can buy your own lb. of cosmetic-grade bentonite or Rhassoul clay and easily mix up a treatment. Make sure to use enough water (clay is highly adsorbent). I use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dry clay, water, yogurt, oil, honey, ACV and herbal extracts (burdock root, marshmallow, horsetail). Instead of water I may infuse some tea from mountainroseherbs.com that was just too nasty to drink but that has some nice ingredients. Or I may use rosewater. I use the clay treatment as a cleanser on dry dirty hair or I'll shampoo first - doesn't seem to matter. I always follow with a moisturizing rinseout conditioner."

Last edited:

larry3344

I wouldn't be surprise, a lot of natural companies know that people are too busy/lazy to mix things themselves and so they capitalize on that.

vkb247

Like I do with most hair products, I did plenty of research trying to find out more about this product. I searched for the ingredients and everything and pulled up nothing. Today I was browsing through Shawnette's posts on NC (because it seems like her hair like the same things mine does) and I am finding all this information.

WE CAN DEFINITELY MAKE THE NATURALAXER GUYS! This stuff is child's play compared to some of the stuff we can do!

Natural-Laxer Plus: a blend of carefully selected sun-dried herbs: myrtle, valerian, rose petals, red clover, fenugreek, nettle and sage mixed with pulverized unadulterated Sahara Clay

http://www.sistasplace.biz/bakamix.htm

BAKA also sells just clay which is not sold as a "relaxer" so I am wondering if the magic is in the herbs. According to the first link I included, the lady in that NC thread who uses it says the ingredients (in 2007) are:

Sahara Clay
Myrtle
Rose Petals
Clove
Nettle
Sage
Lavendar

But I think that the *plus* is the clay.

Last edited:

vkb247

What does marshmallow and burdock do to hair? I notice burdock in my conditioner.

Burdock root oil extract, also called Bur oil, is used to promote healthy hair, to help relieve scalp irritation and improve scalp conditions. It is a natural hair oil applied to get rid of scalp itching, redness and dandruff, improve hair strength, shine and body. Traditionally Burdock root oil has been used to reduce and reverse hair thinning. Modern studies indicate that Burdock root oil extract is rich in phytosterols and essential fatty acids (including rare long chain EFAs), the nutrients required to maintain healthy scalp and promote natural hair growth. It combines immediate relieving effect with nutritional support of normal functions of sebaceous glands and hair follicles. Regular use of Burdock oil helps restore and maintain healthy scalp and hair.

http://floraleads.com/OILBUR.HTM

A tea of marshmallow and burdock is good for dry hair. To make the tea, add 1 tsp of marshmallow and 1 tsp of burdock to a cup of hot water.

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/Hair/hair_loss_herbs.htm

Marshmallow contains vitamins A and C plus natural plant proteins, mucilage
(polysaccharides), starch, pectin, phenolic acids, sucrose, asparagine, oil,
flavonoids, cellulose, sugar, glutinous matter and phosphate of lime.
For your hair:
Marshmallow is a medicated, conditioning, mucilaginous herb that
provides an abundance of ’slip’ which helps to nourish and detangle
naturally curly hair.

Burdock Root is also rich in phytosterols and essential fatty acids
(including rare long chain EFAs) required to maintain a healthy scalp and promote the growth of naturally curly, wavy, Afro textured hair.
For your hair:
Burdock root is purported to stimulate hair growth, definition and
sheen when used weekly, as a final rinse.
When Burdock root is infused with hot distilled water it releases the Burdock root mucilage (slippery plant proteins) & oils which helps to promote effective recovery of scalp irritation, supplying nutritional support to the hair follicles and sebaceous glands

http://www.mythbusterbeauty.com/2007/09/19/when-putting-marshmallow-in-your-hair-is-a-good-idea/

vkb247

I have everything except the clay. If it were Kaolin or Bentonite I'd have it all.

You should try it with one of those. I think that there are different types of clay (red, green, etc.) So maybe one of those is the same as the sahara clay. Off to google it...

vkb247

I must not have done my research that well :(

According to the Naturalaxer people Daphne Gnidium is the active ingredient. When I googled that it said that the tree is poisonous. Oh well, I think that I am going to work on some clay mixes anyway...

Minty

Ladies. They don't list the active ingredient "Daphne Gnidium" it is an evergreen bush. I have looked high and low for this plant to make my own but have not been able to source it. It is not the clay but this shrub.

Unless you are going to eat the plant, it would be treated like anything else.