Is the Naturalaxer Just a Bentonite Clay Mix?

vkb247

I posted this in the Natural Living Forum but thought I should include it here too for more responses.

Check out this info I read at NC:

"Natural-laxer is a good brand, but you can buy your own lb. of cosmetic-grade bentonite or Rhassoul clay and easily mix up a treatment. Make sure to use enough water (clay is highly adsorbent). I use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dry clay, water, yogurt, oil, honey, ACV and herbal extracts (burdock root, marshmallow, horsetail). Instead of water I may infuse some tea from mountainroseherbs.com that was just too nasty to drink but that has some nice ingredients. Or I may use rosewater. I use the clay treatment as a cleanser on dry dirty hair or I'll shampoo first - doesn't seem to matter. I always follow with a moisturizing rinseout conditioner."

Last edited:
@the OP-- there is a brand called Naturalaxer and it is not natural, it is a relaxer. The company does everything it can to soft-pedal the fact that there are chemicals in there, to the point of being deceptive, IMO. Here is the key giveaway from their FAQ

13) Can I put the Naturalaxer over my previously relaxed or permed hair?

Only apply the Naturalaxer to your new growth.

Baka Beautiful Natural-laxer is what my post refers to. It is clay and herbs. It is so easy to confuse the two.

It's Rhassoul clay. I used both the Natural-laxer and Ghassoul clay from an Indian store and got the same results on my natural hair. The herbs are not necessary. I mixed the Rhassoul clay with water, Nature's Gate Daily Use conditioner and EVOO and got better results. It's a lot cheaper too.

@the OP-- there is a brand called Naturalaxer and it is not natural, it is a relaxer. The company does everything it can to soft-pedal the fact that there are chemicals in there, to the point of being deceptive, IMO. Here is the key giveaway from their FAQ

Baka Beautiful Natural-laxer is what my post refers to. It is clay and herbs. It is so easy to confuse the two.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why I had only found negative things about such a natural product! I was clearly confusing the two.

Sorry for including your links without asking for your permission first. Can I ask how the clay mixes have been working for you?

It's Rhassoul clay. I used both the Natural-laxer and Ghassoul clay from an Indian store and got the same results on my natural hair. The herbs are not necessary. I mixed the Rhassoul clay with water, Nature's Gate Daily Use conditioner and EVOO and got better results. It's a lot cheaper too.

Thanks Ivy! It's great to hear the opinion from another texturized lady. So how long are you leaving it in your hair? How often do you do this treatment? What sort of results are you getting?

Thanks Ivy! It's great to hear the opinion from another texturized lady. So how long are you leaving it in your hair? How often do you do this treatment? What sort of results are you getting?

You're welcome. I forgot to add in my previous post that once I added Hesh brand rose petal powder to my Rhassoul treatment and my hair smelled like roses for 2 days. It was heavenly. Unfortunately, it took a week to get all of the rose petals out of my hair. :sad:

After each Rhassoul treatment I noticed my hair was softer, less tangled and my curl pattern was looser/heavier. The longest I left it in my hair was 30 min. I used it as a poo/condish. My hair felt clean and soft after rinsing it out so I never felt the need to poo or DC my hair post treatment. I haven't done it in a while because I was trying other things with my hair.

I believe acidic products/treatments interfere with Rhassoul's softening affect on the hair. I noticed that Rhassoul and henna and protein treatments don't get along. If I did a Rhassoul treatment then later (1 week) dyed my hair with henna then the softness and looser texture wore off. Also, after a protein reconstructor treatment the softness and looser texture wore off. I would then have to do another Rhassoul treatment to get the softness back.

Other hair products will affect how long the softness lasts. So in essence, if your hair is feeling rough/hard and unmanageable then do another treatment.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why I had only found negative things about such a natural product! I was clearly confusing the two.

Sorry for including your links without asking for your permission first. Can I ask how the clay mixes have been working for you?
Thanks for removing the links and my name. It was uncomfortable since I am a membere here too. I love the clay mixtures, especially the clay and yogurt. Lately I've been using a coconut cream/oil/yogurt/banana mix instead. It's the so-called coconut cream relaxer from youtube with some banana added.

Hi ladies, I see this post is from Feb '09 but I would like to loosen my curl pattern, but only temporarily (is that a word). I don't want straight hair, just wanted to try something different because when I flat iron it my hair feels like my hair goes through "heat shock" or something. Even after using heat protectant. Also where can I get the Rhassoul clay online because I dont know of any Indian stores here in Philly.

I think you mean Baka Naturalaxer which is Daphne Gnidium plant powder. It is completely natural. Look it under Baka Naturalaxer. You can get it through Penn Herb Products out of Philadelphia. There are TWO DIFFERENT natualaxers.
Hope this Helps.

Back