Is there ANY person on LHCF not afraid of heat, blowdrying, hot combs, & flat irons?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Re: Is there ANY person on LHCF not afraid of heat, blowdrying, hot combs, & flat iro

I ain't go lie. Folks had me shook on heat.

But I've hit a wall with my hair and I consulted with a stylist that didn't faint when she saw my natural hair unsheathed. So I'll be getting my hair flat ironed at least once a month going forward.

If wearing my hair straight more often helps combat my knotting issue then oh well to losing some of my curl pattern.

MizzBrown

Re: Is there ANY person on LHCF not afraid of heat, blowdrying, hot combs, & flat iro

I aint never scared.

I blowdry, get that hot comb on my edges then flatiron the rest.

Got that CHI Silk Infusion to protect me so I'm all good.

:lachen: At your AVI. I got me some CHI silk a long time ago too and use that w/ my leave-in to do my rollersets w/ indirect heat.

And when i tried to flat iron last week to do a length check i made sure i found that bottle of CHI first or else flatironing wasn't happening.

A.Marie

Not at all. Yesterday, I tried something different and let it air dry and braided it before bed. I am lazy when it comes to shampooing, so I may wash and CHI every two or three weeks if that. In the past, I have gone sometimes without shampooing between a relaxer. :blush: I'm trying to do better now since I have been working out and sweating in my hair a lot. Here is a pic of an airdry style.

AIRDRY

Last edited:

A.Marie

BTW, if you use a heat protectant, you should be fine.

bluevalentine

i'm not afraid to use it, but i do know that i retain more and my hair does better the less i use of it.

i was getting to a point where i was pulling out that dang FHI like once a week. and that was after blowdrying....which for my hair is a :nono:

i'm trying to cut down to every other week. we shall see.

Junonia

I'm not afraid but heat dries my hair. I use indirect heat for my wash and sets and hot comb my roots around 10 wks post.

Traycee

Bumping for more responses

Nonie

After my awesome experience with heat protectants in April, I'm no longer afraid of heat, although like Glam, I rarely use it.

jcdlox

no I'm not afraid, not afraid or protein either. i think the two go hand in hand

jamaraa

I'm not afraid of anything but hair dressers hold scissors! LOL On the serious side, I refuse to be a prisoner to my hair.

shamarie

I aint scured .....but that dont mean its good for me. I wish I could go without heat butttt..... that day aint here yet.

Victorian

old head

no I'm not afraid, not afraid or protein either. i think the two go hand in hand

Ditto. Heat protectant and protein are my friends.
Being on LHCF had me scared for a while :lol:, but I got over it.

ceebee3

I'm not afraid, I really don't know how to use heat. I've never used a flat iron, curling iron, hot comb and any other tool before I came here. I have used a blow dryer but not everytime I washed my hair.

I leave that to my stylist. Since I've been doing my hair on my own, I can achieve good results without heat, so I just don't use it often.

I'm sure once I learn how to properly flat iron, I may become addicted.:drunk:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

I'm not deathly afraid. I just have to use it in moderation if I want to maintain the healthy of my hair.

Desert Skye

I use my PIBBs every week if that counts. But for direct heat such as flat irons and blow drying, not really unless I go to my dominican hair salon and get the works (you know the blowdry AND the curling iron)

I use a curling iron about once a month for a different style and my flat iron for special occasions.

acapnleo

BTW, if you use a heat protectant, you should be fine.

love the color and style in your signature :)

I reduced my heat usage when I fell in love with wng's. As my hair is progressing and the season becomes colder, I will likely use my heat a little more... But I am not scared of heat, at one point I was a quite frequent user (daily in some instances)... and without heat protectant :blush: no horror stories from it, but now that I know better... I use a protectant when I use heat.:yep:

Last edited:

aa9746

My hair was dry and broke off with the use of heat. I'd consider heat if I can retain what I grew from bootcamp.

brittanynic16

I blowdry and flatiron twice a week. Growing strong and not going to stop anytime soon.

2Cute!

When I first joined, I was afraid, so I started rollersetting and then wrapping. Over time, I realized that the blow dryer does more damage to my hair than flat ironing. For the last 3 -4 months I have been rollersetting and follwing up with the flat iron. Love the results!

Hasn't hurt my hair at all.

Nice & Wavy

I use to be, but not now. My stylist is so good....she knows what she is doing. I'm at the point where I don't want to do my own hair anymore....it's just so much easier for her to do it.

LivingDol1

I'm not afraid of direct heat. I choose to not use it regularly b/c I retain more length by rollersetting. I save the blow dryer and flatiron for special occassions and rare lazy days.

I also now know how to appropriately use heat and avoid damaging my hair too much. heat protectant is your friend!

SelfStyled

I have spent 2 years being afraid of direct heat - and seeing pretty much no progress at all. I am kinda slow on the uptake, but I am thinking my hair does not like to be airdried.

With that being said, I have bought a temperature controlled, professional, 100% ceramic flat iron-and plan on airdrying and flat iron from now on. I will also be DC'ing with each and every wash and using my Aphogee 2 min regularly.

I have never been one to use heat on dirty hair. I have learned so much on this board, that I really feel like I can corporate heat into my regimen. I honestly feel like I have nothing to lose at this point

rinahbaby

I use to press my hair every other week and still do sometimes if I have the extra time....but latley I've been doing wash n go's because It's quicker and I like how my natural hair looks when it's out. I love heat on my natural hair:yep:

HeChangedMyName

I'm not afraid and my hair actually behaves, and looks much better with heat styles. I do try to stay away from heat though because I am too lazy to do all the extra stuff you need to do to keep the hair moisturized and retain the length.

toyagurl

I am not scared...just lazy. I am a SAHM with a 6 mo. old and and a 2 year old:) I have been known to blowdry and flat iron weekly. The only reason why my hair is not BSL is because I cut it off when I thought that I wanted to be natural (reading this danged board lol). My hair was and is healthy but I know some people just have problems when they use heat. It seems like I have more issues when I don't.

Taina

I am not afraid of the heat. I'm one of the persons that think you can do ANYTHING to your hair with proper care.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.

I've been on a heat sabbatical (using it about once every two or three months) but with the weather getting colder, I'm going to have to move it up to twice a month. I just bought a 1875 watt blow dryer and I'm going to attempt my first blow out and ceramic flat iron next week. Wish me luck - this stuff is thick even with a texlax and I hope I can make it look good. If not, back to the bun.

Keedah

Im not scared just lazy too. Everyweek I say Im gonna flat iron my hair but braiding it up and letting it airdry is so much quicker.

sylver2

nope not afraid