Is there ANY way to go natural without Big Chopping?

MuslimahTresses

My friend always talks to me about going natural. She wants to do it without big chopping. I really can't advise her much on this situation, so is there really a way to go natural without big chopping. She thinks shes going to go bald from all the breakage but she really don't wanna relaxer anymore. I know there are alot of naturals here so I thought i could get some tips for her. Thank alot

LadyPaniolo

There is absolutely a way to transition without the BC. The way I was going to do it was to use the Crown & Glory method (don't know if you are familiar with this). It would entail putting extensions in for 2 months at a time, and taking great care of your hair the whole time. The braids should not be any smaller than a pencil.

She could cut off an inch of relaxed hair for every inch of NG she attains each time she takes the braids out. Then deep condition like crazy and braid it up again. Within a year or 18 months (depending on how fast her hair grows) she should have enough natural new growth to totally cut off the relaxed ends and enjoy her new natural texture.
HTH!

NuMe2004

I agree with Joyousnerd. I transitioned by cutting off my relaxed ends gradually as I achieved new growth. I too didn't want to endure a devastating cut. However, I did cut my hair to a decent length bob to start the transition after experiencing a lot of breakage from dye/relaxers. I personally didn't want to hold on to scraggly looking ends just for the sake of having length.

That's my 2 cents!

aminata

Yes, I transistioned without bc'ing. It will take longer and require more patience. I also had my hair trimmed more often. In fact last week I had the last rements of my processed/highlighted hair cut off.

So yes it can be done.

imstush

Each time i've transitioned I've mainly done wash n goes and I did twists for about a year or less. Right now I am transitioning doing wng and little to no manipulation, thinking about putting my hair in box braids (using my own hair)

Divalicious

Your friend can go natural without bcing. I never did a bc and I transistioned for a little over a year or so. I did mini trims when the two textures were unbearable and deep conditioned. I didn't have any problems.

ClassicBeauty

I never did a big chop. I had long hair when I started the transition, and I wanted to keep it that way so I just let it grow out and kept going for trims. The following is something that I posted in another thread about using heat. That will definitely be her next question.;)

When I transitioned, no one even knew unless I told them because my hair didn't change. I wore the same roller wrap that I always wore and I never did a big chop. I just went for more trims to get rid of the relaxed ends.

I had to flat iron my hair to get it straight when it was relaxed anyway, but when I went natural I had to use more heat. (I've learned from this board that when I was relaxed, I was always just texlaxed, but that means relaxed to me. My hair was never bone straight though.)

There are other naturals on this board who use heat often and have very long and healthy hair. Different people have different experiences, but my experience has been fine.

neonbright

I did without trying to, when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I decided to get my hair braided, corn rowed, or somthing. So I the stylist suggested I try this new sewin braids because of my length, she corn rowed what she could took out the braided synthetic hair and sewed it in. After a few times doing that I wore my hair corn rowed with hair added the whole pregnancy, after she was born and a few years after that. Total years of braided hair styles 4, my hair was so long it was below bra stap when I decided to no longer wear braids and relax again... But the most important thing is to maintain braided hair properly, letting it breath sometimes and a great braider...

MuslimahTresses

Thank you everybody for trying to help me help her. I will give her this info and have her register herself if she wants to. I think it would really do he some good. Thanks again.

MissMarie

***sigh***
april shower said:
My friend always talks to me about going natural. She wants to do it without big chopping. I really can't advise her much on this situation, so is there really a way to go natural without big chopping. She thinks shes going to go bald from all the breakage but she really don't wanna relaxer anymore. I know there are alot of naturals here so I thought i could get some tips for her. Thank alot
Another transitioner checking in :)
I've been using protective styling (buns, twists, twistouts, braidouts, ponytails) while growing my natural hair out. Its been 3 years since I last had a relaxer and I haven't chopped yet, so it can be done if you're careful with your hair, your hair won't all break off or fall out.

A lot of ladies here are transitioning with different methods. There's a transitioner's support thread floating around here somewhere.

Amour

MissMarie said:
Another transitioner checking in :)
I've been using protective styling (buns, twists, twistouts, braidouts, ponytails) while growing my natural hair out. Its been 3 years since I last had a relaxer and I haven't chopped yet, so it can be done if you're careful with your hair, your hair won't all break off or fall out.

A lot of ladies here are transitioning with different methods. There's a transitioner's support thread floating around here somewhere.

loving those pictures in your siggy... drooling over everybodys hair ;)