Isn't alcohol drying??

username

Isn\'t alcohol drying??

I'll admit to being really bad at searching, but I am having a hard time finding info on alcohol in hair products. I always thought we should look for products with no alcohol whatsoever in them, but now I cannot seem to back this up with hard fact. Anyone know where I could look fort info?

Thanks!

Ennyaa

Re: Isn\'t alcohol drying??

Hi there. I think there are some alcohols that are drying and some that are actually beneficial but I've never really been able to tell exactly which is which. I think the ethyl alcohols are the bad ones?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hopefully one of the ladies will come and set us straight.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

IIRC, Cetyl Alcohol is ok. Isopropyl Alcohol and SD Alcohol 40 are the drying ones. I've seen the last two ingredients in "moisturizing" and "hair repair" conditioners and I'm thinking, WTF? /images/graemlins/confused.gif
I have a cosmetic ingredient dictionary around here someplace. I'm sure there is a free one on-line somewhere...

G

What Sassy said.

Those are the two bad alcohols. The rest, like the ones you see in Profectiv products, are cool. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

serena

I was wondering the same thing, username. Thanks for the information, sassygirl. Now I will be able to make more informed choices about my hair care products.