Issues with my edges? How to fix

MsLizziA

I am finding out that my edges are my prob area. They are thinner then most of my hair and the curl pattern is different there as well, its just fuzz ball with little to no curl there :sad: .. I have been bunning alot lately but it feels like in some way that brushing my hair back is contributing to the problem. I don't want my hair to keep growing and my edges stay the same length or shorter. Any advice for me?

Stop bunning and brushing so much. All that tension is probably the cause of your problems....

ms-gg i figured that was it but i HONESTLY didn't want to accept it cuz i love bunning so much :( .... ~sigh~ guess ill have to find another protective style for awhile

Avoid brushing if possible

have you tried smoothing your edges via the scarf method?
With your fingers apply a leave in/oil then a bit of ecostyler and tie down hiar firmly with a scarf 30 minbefore you step out in the morning.

Works like a charm!

How are you wearing your buns, because I bun alot, but it's not effecting my edges. Your hair is pretty long so I don't see how fulling it back could stress ya edges unless you are pulling the ponytail too tight or wearing it in a high ponytail. I'd say maybe brushing?

Because of brushing, your edges may be damaged to some extent that your edges aren't going to lay down flat until it is back healthy again. For instance, when I was younger, my hair had those tree branch type splits where my splits had splits. No matter how much gel I shellacked on my hair, it did not lay down flat. That was when I had a perm.

Fastforward to me as a natural and all I need is aloe gel and a scarf and I am goodt to go. Maybe after you get your edges back healthy it will become easier to use the scarf method?

Because of brushing, your edges may be damaged to some extent that your edges aren't going to lay down flat until it is back healthy again. For instance, when I was younger, my hair had those tree branch type splits where my splits had splits. No matter how much gel I shellacked on my hair, it did not lay down flat. That was when I had a perm.

Fastforward to me as a natural and all I need is aloe gel and a scarf and I am goodt to go. Maybe after you get your edges back healthy it will become easier to use the scarf method?

They lay down flat, that's not the issue, its just they are a prob area for me so ill have to just work on that area.. how do you smooth all of your hair down without a brush? do you have a pic of it?

I do agree that frequent S&D's have resulted in smoother sleeker styles.

and it takes little of nothing to smooth my hair down and well.

@An_gell guess i will have to forgo the brush or the buns in general. I have no clue how to get it smooth without

Maybe leave the brush alone for awhile and see how that does, but like I said before your hair looks to me to be pretty long so I can't see you having to pull your hair so tight to get it into a bun that its putting stress on your edges. I need to give up the brush myself, but my edges are doin fine but they would probably be thicker if I did give up the brush.

here is a recent pic of my "brushless" smoothing on a high bun

highbun.jpg

i think some peoples hair around the perimiter just doesnt grow as long. some peoples edges are as long and thick as the rest of their hair and others have more of a gradient into length and thickness.

personally no matter how hard i try the perimeter just doesnt grow past 3 inches but right beyond a certain point the hair is just long and has no issues with breakage or anything.they havent been the same length since i BCed and i was very careful and this still happened.

Very cute!! What do you use on ya edges?

I use aloe juice to moisturize my hair. then apply an ample amount of rice bran oil and follow will a bit of ecostyler.

I push the hair back with my hand and firmly tie a small silk scarf around it. I let is sit for 30 min to and hour and these are my results

I use aloe juice to moisturize my hair. then apply an ample amount of rice bran oil and follow will a bit of ecostyler.

I push the hair back with my hand and firmly tie a small silk scarf around it. I let is sit for 30 min to and hour and these are my results

So you really let the scarf do all the work

But how did u do that without a brush... it looks so smooth and ....brushed :ohwell:

I use a moisturizer, oil and follow with some ecostyler. I use my fingers to smooth and quickly tie with a scarf.

and you will notice my hair does not lie perfectly straight back. you can see some texture and that doesnt bother me. But it does get smooth and flat with my scarf method.

here is a better shot of texture I was reffering too. These braids were a week old and when I wake I have a fuzzy halo :ohwell: but when I use the scarf method each morning I lie then edges right on down like n this pick below

Braidedpuff.jpg

In what way do you tie scarf? If I was to wear a style like that and use a scarf to lay the edges down, I would have dents all over the place :nono:

In what way do you tie scarf? If I was to wear a style like that and use a scarf to lay the edges down, I would have dents all over the place :nono:

I use a scarf like one in the pic below. I tie it kind of like how she has it but with more tension. My hair is usually pulled back already.

I should add that I tie my hair up at night in the position I want to wear the bun in the a.m. so the majority of my hair is laid when I wake.

I only use the scarf on my edges to tame the fuzzy halo. There arent any dent because I only wrap it once and tie in the back
9855_on9_md.jpg

I use a scarf like one in the pic below. I tie it kind of like how she has it but with more tension. My hair is usually pulled back already.

I should add that I tie my hair up at night in the position I want to wear the bun in the a.m. so the majority of my hair is laid when I wake.

I only use the scarf on my edges to tame the fuzzy halo. There arent any dent because I only wrap it once and tie in the back
9855_on9_md.jpg

Ahhh I see simple enough! Thanks mucho

i think some peoples hair around the perimiter just doesnt grow as long. some peoples edges are as long and thick as the rest of their hair and others have more of a gradient into length and thickness.

personally no matter how hard i try the perimeter just doesnt grow past 3 inches but right beyond a certain point the hair is just long and has no issues with breakage or anything.they havent been the same length since i BCed and i was very careful and this still happened.

ITA ! My edges are the same way! In fact, I think I would have my perfect dream hair, if it weren't for my edges:nono::sad:.

Back