Itching for Hair Colour!!!

Lusa

With summer approaching I am seriously contemplating adding some colour to my hair. I would like either burgundy or chocolate brown (nothing too light though because my skin is dark). My hair is very black but in the summer it looks slightly off black.

I do not want permanent colour (so no ammonia or hydrogen peroxide) because of how damaging it could be; I don’t want to undo all my hard work. Does anyone have product recommendations to get the look I want to achieve?

Thanks.

Lusa said:
With summer approaching I am seriously contemplating adding some colour to my hair. I would like either burgundy or chocolate brown (nothing too light though because my skin is dark). My hair is very black but in the summer it looks slightly off black.

I do not want permanent colour (so no ammonia or hydrogen peroxide) because of how damaging it could be; I don’t want to undo all my hard work. Does anyone have product recommendations to get the look I want to achieve?

Thanks.

I'm there with you too on the color. I am going natural and the black hair on me is not becoming. My girlfriend told me about Clairol Textures and Tones. They have a conditioner in there that does not dry out the hair. After I use that I will use henna to strengthen my hair and keep it healthy looking.

Lusa said:

Thanks.

You could try using henna for a reddish hue or add some indigo to get brown. I haven't used indigo but I do henna. My hair is naturally really dark brown and I have color treated ends. Doing henna turns my natural hair color a little red and my colored ends turn copper and auburn. As far as other options, I have used rinses change my color too. I used adore rinse in mahongany and it gave me a reddish dark brown.

I forgot to add that I have used Softsheen Hi-Rez color and textures and tones with success.

My natural hair is very black. It is hard to lift the color without some type of permanent dye. I do use colourshines but it is hard to see the color.

As you can tell, I have dark skin too. I was really please with my color job last spring. It was a reddish brown blend. You could get away with a rich reddish brown color.

I just recently changed colors myself. I was red, but I used Clairol Beautiful Collections rinse to make my hair chocolate brown, and I was extremely happy with the results.

Buttalips219 said:
I'm there with you too on the color. I am going natural and the black hair on me is not becoming. My girlfriend told me about Clairol Textures and Tones. They have a conditioner in there that does not dry out the hair. After I use that I will use henna to strengthen my hair and keep it healthy looking.

I just bought this an hour ago. I am going to touch my roots up tonight. One of the ladies on here had a color similiar to mine and I asked her what she used and she said T&T. I decided to try it because I wanted to compare it to my last coloring that I did in August.

I use Texture & Tones and I love it!! But LUSA I don't know of anyway to lighten your hair without using a permanent or Henna. A rinse/semi-permanent will not lighten your hair.

I just finished. Texture and Tones is a keeper. I didn't experience the breakage that I did with my last coloring and I got the same color (and it was cheaper). The color I used was bronze (Which to me look like honey- a very pretty color) I will definitely keep this. Funny thing though it was made by the same company :confused: . Anyhow I am happy. I wish they sold that conditioner separately, it's really good.

czyfaith77 said:
I just finished. Texture and Tones is a keeper. I didn't experience the breakage that I did with my last coloring and I got the same color (and it was cheaper). The color I used was bronze (Which to me look like honey- a very pretty color) I will definitely keep this. Funny thing though it was made by the same company :confused: . Anyhow I am happy. I wish they sold that conditioner separately, it's really good.

Grl I LOVE that conditioner!!! Clairol has a condish at Sallys but I'm not sure if it's the same thing...

Oooh... tooooo cute!!! Mine would have been like that but I used a highlighting cap so I wouldn't have to worry about touchups as much as it grew.

Congats!!! Now we need to find a bottle of that T&T condish!!!

Buttalips219 said:

I take it Clairol Textures and Tones is a permanent colour. I am going to look into this and see what I think. I have used Henna in the past, and really liked how the colour came out. But with that astronomical Henna thread, I am inundated with information I don't even know where to begin. I am really on edge right now!! :lol:

gymfreak336 said:
You could try using henna for a reddish hue or add some indigo to get brown. I haven't used indigo but I do henna. My hair is naturally really dark brown and I have color treated ends. Doing henna turns my natural hair color a little red and my colored ends turn copper and auburn. As far as other options, I have used rinses change my color too. I used adore rinse in mahongany and it gave me a reddish dark brown.

I forgot to add that I have used Softsheen Hi-Rez color and textures and tones with success.

I have been thinking on using Henna again because I used it in college and really liked the results. I may even use Colourshine to highlight the colour, you think that would work? I am going to have to brave the Henna thread or pm Sareca. :D I will also take a trip to the store and check out Hi-Rez and the textures and tones.

Country gal said:
My natural hair is very black. It is hard to lift the color without some type of permanent dye. I do use colourshines but it is hard to see the color.

As you can tell, I have dark skin too. I was really please with my color job last spring. It was a reddish brown blend. You could get away with a rich reddish brown color.

You and the others are right about the difficulty in lifting the colour without some type of permanent dye. I just have to make an informed decision and take the extra steps to keep my hair healthy. :) Country gal what did you use to get the reddish brown colour last spring? That sounds like what I am looking for, and I think our complexions are similar.

I forgot to add that if you go a touch lighter and I do mean a touch, you will be able to rinse and henna all year to get different colors. I have noticed that my ends which are really light, change color evey time I rinse or do henna so I can change my color pretty often without damaging my hair.

gymfreak336 said:
I forgot to add that if you go a touch lighter and I do mean a touch, you will be able to rinse and henna all year to get different colors. I have noticed that my ends which are really light, change color evey time I rinse or do henna so I can change my color pretty often without damaging my hair.

That's what I am thinking too. :) I may just make an appointment with a colorist to talk about this and see what they can offer. I am not about to embark on this on my own. If I do go a touch lighter, is there anything I should be wary of when it comes to getting my relaxer touch-up? I don't want the relaxer to eat my lightened hair! (forgive the non-technical lingo)

ps. I get my hair relaxed with design essentials at a salon.

czyfaith77 said:

OT - czyfaith77 do you have any pictures of your color? I've been eyeing it for a while but haven't seen it on anybody's hair yet.

Back