Itchy scalp & dandruff

kaytorry

I co-washed every 3 days, and I washed my hair last night, and my scalp still itches and my dandruff has gone NO WHERE! If I scratch my scalp, I can see little flakes on my fingertips. Please help!

Could it be build up?
Can I re-wash it tonight?
Should I put oil on my scalp?

What do you to fight an itchy scalp and/or dandruff?

yorkpatties

Maybe you want to try a shampoo specific for dandruff and then follow that up with a moisturizing shampoo. I don't have dandruff but have had a lot of itching lately. I have been using Neutrogena T-Sal with decent results.

Iluvsmuhgrass

First and foremost I'd recommend upping water intake and good fatty oils (Omega 3's in tablet, fish, or nut forms) because it's just that time of year when we kinda shrivel up lol. Fall & Winter transformations can be BRUTAL on my hair and skin.

It could possibly be build up (when I use heavy cones, if I don't rinse VERY well my scalp becomes very unhappy.) To solve that I clarify ever so often and adopted a low cone (if any) regimen. I like quantum clarifying shampoo because it's the only one my grass seems to like. Everything else RAVAGES it. :nono: For those that don't want it to be uber drying, feel free to use it after a good heavy hot oil treatment.

Putting oil on top of build-up (if that's what it is) will only make it worse. Cleansing your scalp well then adding oil or pomade can help. I don't use anything heavy on my scalp anymore. Coconut oil, QB Amla Pomade, or a blend of oils work for me (for now). A majority of the time, I don't have to oil my scalp because of the products I use. I do use rosewater and glycerin on my skin, hair, and scalp. It really helps when I use it underneath oils or lotions. HTH

Seamonster

There are many good remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp. I rotate all the dandruff shampoos. Dandruff shampoos will clear up a mild case of dry scalp or fungus. Neem body/shampoo bars from the Indian store work too. You need to shampoo daily until the condition is under control, then twice per week to maintain the effect.
Both Glovers Mane ointment grease, or BB tar grease work on tough cases. A honey mask followed with Dabur Vatika (second ingredient must be neem) works too.

silenttullip

try giovanni triple treat shampoo or cowash with the conditioner followed by acv
Coconut oil is good as an overnight prepoo for dandruff
If it looks waxy and cacky it's probably build up in that case clarify and then deep condition
If its dry flakes may be just dandruff or dry scalp

When did the itching start before or after beginning cowashing?
Have you seen a derm or trichologist for it?
Do dandruff shampoos help or make it worse?
Do you have dry patches?
What color are the flakes: yellow, white, silver?

With this info we can figure out if its dandruff, build up, or something else....

kaytorry

try giovanni triple treat shampoo or cowash with the conditioner followed by acv
Coconut oil is good as an overnight prepoo for dandruff
If it looks waxy and cacky it's probably build up in that case clarify and then deep condition
If its dry flakes may be just dandruff or dry scalp

When did the itching start before or after beginning cowashing?
Have you seen a derm or trichologist for it?
Do dandruff shampoos help or make it worse?
Do you have dry patches?
What color are the flakes: yellow, white, silver?

With this info we can figure out if its dandruff, build up, or something else....

Haven't used a dandruff shampoo yet. (a mess I know). Won't it dry out my hair?

When I was cowashing it was yellowish and thick

Now that I've washed it, it's white and flakish.

silenttullip

if you have insurance visit a dermatologist... If not use google type seborrheic dermatitis and search images and then do it with psoriasis and scalp fungus. See which photos resemble the yellowish. I'm no doctor but I get seborrheic dermatitis and it can be very yellow and crusty so it may be that.
Dandruff shampoos can be drying but a natural one shouldn't be too bad or put it an applicator bottle. If you want try adding a few drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil to your regular shampoo or cowash conditioner also try prepooing with an oil before shampooing to loosen flakes, massage it in

Haven't used a dandruff shampoo yet. (a mess I know). Won't it dry out my hair?

When I was cowashing it was yellowish and thick

Now that I've washed it, it's white and flakish.

Last edited:

kaytorry

UPDATE: I applied Shea moisture Black African soap shampoo, the purification mask, and the scalp elixer. It made a world of difference! At least for now..

naturalmanenyc

DH uses Jane Carter nourishing scalp serum and he likes it.

He cannot use it daily though because it drips onto his forehead when he works out and causes him to break out. He uses it like twice a week and has seen a difference.

I co-washed every 3 days, and I washed my hair last night, and my scalp still itches and my dandruff has gone NO WHERE! If I scratch my scalp, I can see little flakes on my fingertips. Please help!

Could it be build up?
Can I re-wash it tonight?
Should I put oil on my scalp?

What do you to fight an itchy scalp and/or dandruff?

song_of_serenity

UPDATE: I applied Shea moisture Black African soap shampoo, the purification mask, and the scalp elixer. It made a world of difference! At least for now..
I want to try this. I can see why it helped! Check the ingredients.

Contains de-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), African black soap, Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (willow) bark extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) seed oil, charcoal powder, Melaleuca Alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, Simmondsia chinensis seed (Jojoba) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) oil (denotes certified organic ingredients), aloe vera leaf juice, vitamin E, rosemary extract, plantain extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.