Itchy scalp from extending a relaxer?

DigitalRain

Im past the time I usually get a relaxer I find as each week passes the itchier my scalp gets. It was so bad, that I am slightly raw in some places on my scalp. I washed it last night with a tingling dandruff shampoo, and I am still itching! Does anyone know what I can do to combat this?

I am going through the very same thing right now. The only thing I know to help is doing the relaxer.

Thanks for responding! I know if I relaxed it would probably stop. I washed last night again, but this time I used Medicated Selsun Blue, and then applied L'Oreal Natures Therapy Scalp Relief on my entire scalp. I woke up this morning and the itching has subsided a lot. If this returns though, I will definitely relax this week. I've become miserable dealing with the itching.

Sorry about the itching, the longest Ive gone is 12 weeks and I never have any itching, I think it may be due to the fact that I use peppermint oil in all of my conditioners....except the ones I use for conditioner washes.

Same thing happens to me, and it can be REALLY miserable. I use author Lisa Akbari's advice and use a "pure oil" to moisturize my new growth, which helps relieve the itchies. (I use pure jojoba oil.) I also use Keracare's dry itchy scalp shampoo, following the instructions on the bottle and leaving it on for five minutes, which seems to help. I follow that with Keracare Humecto.

My mom felt sorry for me and dropped off a bottle of Scalpicin.
smile.gif

I used a little of that today after I felt the iching returning. I hope this doesnt last.

Just make sure you don't use any of the anti-itch stuff more than two days before your relaxer. One of the things some of them do to make the ithcing stop is exfoliate the scalp. Clearly not what you should be doing right before a touch up (exfoliating = exposing new skin).

The itching is not the worst of it. Is is the constant shedding whenever I comb out. Also,I flat ironed my hair for the first time since July and I have been doing CON shampoo at least every two days. I was surprised that my ends were a little thin on one side and I seem to have a lot of mid-hair breaks. What gives???/

I don't advise looking at your hair from an evaluative standpoint when you need a relaxer. You should only assess your hair post touch up.

When you're extending your relaxers, you have roots, they don't match the texture of most of your hair, so the ends are bound to appear thinner...

My hair just generally looks JACKED when I'm waiting to get a touch up and I'm 10-12 weeks in. It won't style right, it won't fall right, it feels drier, and chances are I've been airdrying regularly which, if I'm not doing bona fide curls, can be a not so great look for me.

Eliza if your hair is breaking though, I'd say it's time to relax. Everyone's limit is different.

I found that my scalp would itch when it was time for a relaxer. Then when I decided that I would go at least 4 months, the itching stopped. Then I decided to extend it to 6 months - all with no itching. Then as soon as I bought the relaxer, the itching returned. I think it's psychological for me. I think the conditioners with peppermint oil in them do the trick in keeping away the itches. Gotta get back to those. Think I'll do that tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Just make sure you don't use any of the anti-itch stuff more than two days before your relaxer. One of the things some of them do to make the ithcing stop is exfoliate the scalp. Clearly not what you should be doing right before a touch up (exfoliating = exposing new skin).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that. My itching has subsided a lot. I hope it stays away long enough for me to relax. Thanks so much for the reply.

I think you are right. I was just surprised that once I did straighten it after so long, it wasn't as healthy as I would have thought, being that I've been staying away from heat for as long as I have. Maybe I should stretch out my CON washes but I'm addicted I tell you. Addicted.

Back