*I've just ordered 'no lye' and Good Hair: For Colored Girls'*

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Has anyone read any of these books?

Are they any good?

I'm so excited! I hope they aren't a waste of money.

x

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
CharUK said:
Has anyone read any of these books?

Are they any good?

I'm so excited! I hope they aren't a waste of money.

x

I read them and in my opinion it's good for those who are absolutely clueless about hair care. Okay starter books. But for me I found it redundant since most of the information in the book can be found here and other hair care sites. But that is just my opinion.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I understand what you're saying, and thanks for replying.

I guess, in a way, i'm still not as clued up as I'd like to be, especially when it comes to caring for natural hair!

Any one else?

x

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I didn't like "No Lye". I don't remember her giving any tips on wearing natural hair "out". She shows lots of braid, twist and loc styles. And most of the hairstyles featured were ugly (IMO). And most required extensions. T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh's book Natural Woman, Natural Hair has really cute styles and instructions. :)

I liked "Good Hair". Get ready to laugh your a** off! Her hair stories are both funny and sad at the same time. I will never forget the "scary curl" and "stocking cap with chin strap" anecdotes! :lol: But her tips are nothing you haven't already read here. And she has a texturizer. So I don't know if her styling tips will look the same on someone who is natural. But I bought some "U shaped" rollers just in case. :cool:

Last edited:

amy1234

I found "no-lye" to be very insightful, but this was at a time when I was clueless about my natural hair . It is a good book if you want to learn more about natural hair in general.

songbyrd517

sassygirl125 said:
I didn't like "No Lye". I don't remember her giving any tips on wearing natural hair "out". She shows lots of braid, twist and loc styles. And most of the hairstyles featured were ugly (IMO). And most required extensions. T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh's book Natural Woman, Natural Hair has really cute styles and instructions.

I agree Sassygirl. I didn't like No-Lye either for the same reasons. Lots of "Natural" books are like that. There are so many more options for us. I can't advise on Good Hair, but from Sassy's description,I might pick that one up :). I have been wanting to get T'Keyah's book for awhile now, but I needed a recommendation before I dish out money :look:. Thanks girl!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
CharUK said:
i'm still not as clued up as I'd like to be, especially when it comes to caring for natural hair!

You may also want to check out It's All Good Hair and the video "Thunder Hair" from cornrowsandco.com. They target children's haircare, but the info is very basic and informative. You're still on your own when it comes to products, though.

Guapa1

I loved good hair, that book is SO funny. No lye was OK, but I think they are good books to have as part of your collection.

soslychic

These books were ok. As has been mentioned, nothing you can't find here, but I like reading natural hair care books anyway. Many of the styles shown in no lye really were ugly though and in the good hair book, she states she has a texturizer but her stories are funny and the info. is good for beginners. :)

babyblue

"Lets talk hair" by pamela ferrel is a wonderful book on natural haircare. plenty of information and cute styles. i highly recommend this one over all the others.

Nonpareil

Unfortunately, the author does not practice what she preaches - in one of the books, she mentions that she is texturized (and then proceeds to discuss the benefits of this).

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
songbyrd517 said:
I I have been wanting to get T'Keyah's book for awhile now, but I needed a recommendation before I dish out money :look:. Thanks girl!

I think you'll like it. T'Keyah herself models lots of twists in the book. I had no idea twists could be worn in so many cute ways! :dork: I'm used to seeing them only in the "hanging down" style that is so popular among the nursery school crowd. :p

Daughter

UK Blak
I liked No Lye, especially the twist styles, but then again I'm a big fiend for twists! I did prefer two books by Pamella Ferrell, "Let's Talk Hair" and "Where Beauty Touches Me".

How's the transition going?

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Daughter said:
I liked No Lye, especially the twist styles, but then again I'm a big fiend for twists! I did prefer two books by Pamella Ferrell, "Let's Talk Hair" and "Where Beauty Touches Me".

How's the transition going?
Thanks again for the replies.

The transition is not going too badly at the moment, thank you.

x

Pookie25

I had bought those book when I first went natural six years ago. It was very inspirational, however, I was very upset towards the end of the book when I found out she had a texturizer.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
I concur with the majority.

I've never read "No-Lye", but I read "Good Hair..." back when I first started out, last July. It was so funny! The info she offered was good basically for those who don't know about natural hair(like me!). I've been meaning to buy it for myself so I can refer back while I'm taking care of my daughter's hair.

Ooops! I can't believe I missed that part about the Texurizer! I didn't know what a texurizer was back then anyway. I didn't know much of anything back then. I really thought that was her natural(no chemical) hair! Oops again!

~op~