I've Made the Decision to Transition To Natural

lolascurls

Congrats on the big decision. :woot: I decided to transition at the beginning of January. Planning at least 1 year transition. Maybe two! Keep us posted, hon! :)

SEMO

Congrats!! I'm sure your transition will go well with all the the knowledge available on LHCF to help you out. :yep:

mscocoface

Can I give you this peice of advice. Since you have not seen your natural hair since you were 10.....THROW AWAY all of the knowledge you have with regards to your hair.

Do it in phases like you now will deal with two different textures until you do a BC or a natural progression trim.

Do not have any preconceived notions of what your natural hair will or will not look like, act like or feel like. Just go with what works no matter what it is. Use everything we tell you as a guideline but in the end it is your hair that will let you know what is working.

The other thing is the MENTAL. This is the one that is the breakfast of champions. There is a different mindset all together with regards to dealing with and maintaining natural hair.

Best wishes to you.

Southern Belle

Can I give you this peice of advice. Since you have not seen your natural hair since you were 10.....THROW AWAY all of the knowledge you have with regards to your hair.

Do it in phases like you now will deal with two different textures until you do a BC or a natural progression trim.

Do not have any preconceived notions of what your natural hair will or will not look like, act like or feel like. Just go with what works no matter what it is. Use everything we tell you as a guideline but in the end it is your hair that will let you know what is working.

The other thing is the MENTAL. This is the one that is the breakfast of champions. There is a different mindset all together with regards to dealing with and maintaining natural hair.

Best wishes to you.

I'm only 7 months into this whole transition thing, so I realize I'm still a "child" in the world of natural hair, and I still "sit at the feet" of more seasoned naturals, but you've just said a mouthful.

I have to remind myself of this on a near DAILY basis, as I wrangle with this mass of kinks and knots. As a person that hasn't seen my natural hair since I was 12, I didn't know what it would look like, but I didn't think it would look like THIS. :lachen:

So I have to constantly give myself the "pep talk" about this whole transitioning to natural thing being about loving MY hair, not the beautiful kinks and curls I see on OTHER people's heads. It's FINALLY starting to sink in, but I agree - it is a mental transion on many, many levels.

Thank you for this post - it was dead on. :yep:

G/L on your transition, OP! Hopefully I'll see you in the Transitioning Support threads!:yep:

divinefavor

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Wow, I wanted to find this thread so that I can give an update! And found that I had more really good advice posted here!!!

I'm still hanging in there, I'm about 7 months post relaxer. I was hoping I would make it past the 24 weeks mark (where I would have normally given in to the creamy crack) and I did!!!

I must say it has been a journey since I've made the decision to transition. The two textures were starting to get on my nerve, but I'm getting used it. I've run out of my Aveda products for a while now. I've been so cheap and just using up other stuff that I have had in my closet for years. I think I'm going to break down and go back to Aveda DR. My hair loves Aveda!

I am starting to love my natural texture (what parts of it that I can see at the moment). I'm starting to get the itch to just go ahead and BC so that I can see my texture in its fullness. However, I think I'm going to hold out. I'll be getting some cornrows on Tuesday. I need to find some information on the Crown & Glory method so that I can take care of my hair while I'm in braids.

I think I'm going to use this thread as a way to track my journey.

Well, it's late and I'm rambling, so I must be getting sleepy!:grin:

I've uploaded a picture of my day old twist out. Second picture was Sunday after church twist out was done that morning.

I don't know how to flat twist, so this was two strand twists.

Attachments

• Twistout Monday 6.21.10.jpg
    Twistout Monday 6.21.10.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Twistout Sunday 6.20.10.jpg
    Twistout Sunday 6.20.10.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: