Japanese Thermal Reconditioning -- for us too???

vevster

I started hearing about this on Makeup Alley months ago -- it is a technique started in Japan to straighten hair. I thought it was just for whites and asians but my friend just saw that show GLOW on the style network and they did it on a black girl's hair. I wonder how this holds up compared to our relaxer? The drawback-- it is $$$$ but if it leaves our hair in better shape with more shine and body hmmmmm......

For those who have the style network the show rebroadcasts tomorow Sunday at 8:30 AM and 11:30 PM

thoughts anyone???

LondonDiva

I wonder if this is the same as the Yuko technique just with a different name. If it is it CANNOT be used on our hair. I've called the Japanese salon in London about 9 months ago when I heard of this and on the website (which I can't remember) it states that it can't be done on AA hair, the lady at the salon said the same thing.

If it's not the same thing then my bad /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

vevster

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If it's not the same thing then my bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I heard this second hand - my friend watched the show. The show is to be rebroadcast tomorow and I have to see it for myself.... perhaps it is another technique..

LondonDiva

If you watch the show, let us know what it's like. From what i can remember about the yuko system they washed and applied the hair with some chemical then straightened the hair on a VERY HIGH heat. The process was expensive also and could be done every 6 months or so. The reason why they said it couldn't be done on most AA type hair is because of the different texture the hair would grow back in. From the pictures I've seen of this it does look good on those that have had it wanting ultra straight hair.

LondonDiva

http://www.beauty-channel.com/yuko/

vevster here is what I read about many months ago.
Now they are saying that it's safe for AA hair now /images/graemlins/mad.gif I wish these people would know what they are talking about. I called the Yuko London salon so I know I'm not going crazy.

If your friend said they did it on an AA girl's hair then, it's possibly a similar technique, being a japanese straightening technique and all.

Paris Belle

LondonDiva, I don't know how safe it is for our hair, but I did read somewhere that Kimora Lee, Tyra Banks, and Naomi Campbell are using this technique on their hair.

That doesn't mean it's safe though! LOL

IMHO I think it's an interesting concept, but I don't know if I would like that kind of heat on my hair. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

henrilou

I don't mean to be negative, honest. But doesn't this 'technique' sound like a 'high-class' relaxer to you? A white girl in my class had it done and her hair did look straight and silky. But the bottom line is that she said that they put this "special cream" in her hair. Well, the jar may have had japanese writing on it, but I bet the transalation is: RELAXER.

What do you guys think?

Henrilou

CICI24

It is a very mild relaxer plus alot of heat used in this process. I saw this type of product at sally's and the sales lady told me that there are very mild chemicals involved and that only a licensed professional can purchase the product. when using the product you supposed to use a ceramic flat iron on 200 degrees so basically it still is a relaxer.

BrightEyes

I would not recommend this if you have 4a or b hair. It's way too fragile and would certainly break your hair off.

Just because they did this on a Black girl doesn't mean anything. Our hair goes from perfectly straight to totally kinky. In fact, I think Blacks have the most diverse population of hair textures. One Black person cannot vouch for everyone out there. I've seen a few Blacks get this done, but none of them were in the 4 range. Most were 3b or c.

Also, I doubt most could go 6 months without a touch up. 3c/4a/4b hair is extremely noticeable with it's on the same strand as straight hair. People with wavy or slightly curly hair can just blow-dry it to make it look OK. We can't do that every morning.

Dandy112

I saw the show today but I want to see it again tomorrow to make sure I didnt miss anything because I wasnt really paying attention but from what I can remember they used a flat iron first to straighten the hair and then they applied some type of chemical on it...the end result the hair was straight like it would get with a normal relaxer but I would rather do a regular relaxer then have heat applied to my hair and then some type of chemical afterwards. I wonder what happenes in the long run when this process is used?

I will definetly watch this tomorrow paying more attention!
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kitkat

Re: Japanese Thermal Reconditioning -- for us too

A salon that services primarily white women in my neighborhood went to great lengths over the phone to convince me that this technique actually CAN be done on African American hair, and why don't I come in for a consultation? I never went, though, because I don't think they do many of our heads there. Plus, I am very skeptical about the ability of my dry 4a/4b hair to withstand the tremendous heat that technique uses. For me, I think it would do more harm than good.

LondonDiva, I think you're right about this being called the yuko technique.

LondonDiva

I don't mean to be negative, honest. But doesn't this 'technique' sound like a 'high-class' relaxer to you? A white girl in my class had it done and her hair did look straight and silky. But the bottom line is that she said that they put this "special cream" in her hair. Well, the jar may have had japanese writing on it, but I bet the transalation is: RELAXER.

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you are being negative Henrilou, I totally agree with your post 100%
I think they have looked at ways that black women permanently straighten their hair and have modified the technique to work on caucasian hair types, giving it a patent name and keeping the technique quite secret.

I know that they have "mastered" the curly hair on caucasian hair types with the perm, but I've never heard of any white women over here being able to get their hair straight using chemicals designed for their hair or marketed towards them. Most time it's the use of blowdrying and irons on the hair that they have to use to get their hair straight.

I guess there is a massive market for this technique now.

vevster

I just saw that show Glow and they did do it on a woman that had what looked like 4a hair and it looked just like a relaxer. For how it came out I can just get a relaxer!

NEXT!!! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

azul11

i saw the show as well and i felt like they were just charging them for a high priced relaxer. i do not care what they say i may not be a hair expert but i dont see how you can go 6 months without retouching the roots and all is fine. unless they inject something into the skull i do not see how this is possible. i just dont trust this method at all. God bless you all.

BlkMane

I've been hearing about this Japanese straightening technique for more than two years now and this is the information I've gathered from the Internet, TV and magazines:

<ul type="square">
[*]Celebrities that have it done: Tyra Banks (but doesn't she wear a weave?), model Cristy Turlington, and actress Julianne Moore (and her hair DOES appear EXTREMELY straight these days)
[*]It IS also called the "Yuko" system
[*]Japanese women have been doing this for years in Japan for that "stick straight" hair. (And we thought they ALL just had hair like that....)
[*]It is a "thio" based system (correct me if I'm wrong), this is the type of chemical used in Vigorol-that liquid relaxer in the little bottle. ("Thio" relaxers tend to be very drying.)
[*]You WILL need to get a touch up as often as you usually do with a "regular" relaxer, based on how fast your hair grows and what texture your new growth grows in [*]The only difference between these Japanese relaxers and regular (lye, no-lye, regular thio) relaxers is that the Japanese relaxer will give you STICK STRAIGHT hair that does not need to be rollerset or blowdried EVER. You can apparently WASH AND WEAR. This is the benefit people are paying the $$$$ for as these relaxers go for $500-800+ for a first time application! (I wonder what it costs for a touchup!)
[*]On Oprah, they did the process on a white woman's hair and Oprah stated that it WAS NOT for AA hair. I wonder why some people say it can be done on AA hair and other's say it can't.
[/list]

I wonder if hair that has been Japanese straightened can even hold a curl? I wouldn't get this done unless you wanted to have that STICK straight look at all times and your hair was VERY healthy.

Oh, I just remembered, I read a post by someone on another hair board (white woman) and she stated that she had it done and it damaged her hair. She didn't recommend it.

Honi

There is no board.
check this out....
www.japerm.com/before2.htm

The process takes anywhere from 3 to 6 hours and costs about 300 to 1,000 bucks depending on thickness and length. It involves the application of a thio cream base which is the stuff similar to the Jerri Curl! LOL Then they dry and rinse and flat iron your hair or something like that.

I don't think it's for our hair because our hair is too fragile and can't withstand that type of heat.

vevster

I wonder why some people say it can be done on AA hair and other's say it can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this is prob $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info! I will stick to what I know... lye relaxer

ms_kenesha

I have continuously heard that this system cannot be used on AA hair, but that probably means on 3cs to4s, but the most important reasons not to have this done is because of the INTENSE heat and the fact that the stylists say if you want any kind of curl or wave in your hair with this process you cannot get that anymore! It sounds like a very expensive method for someone to not have any styling options. /images/graemlins/frown.gif