July 2021: Hits & Misses

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Continued Hits

Nurcreations ACV Rhassoul scrub. Every time I use this stuff, Im always amazed. Its a scrub consistency but as soon as water hits it, it melts down and foams up. It leaves the hair clean and bouncy.

Negesbanda Chocolate Clay Wash. Moisturizing, able to detangle, leaves the hair strands feeling moisturized and conditioned.

New Hits

Negesbanda Marshmallow Glaze and Clumping gel together. My hair felt heavy and weighed down after adding the glaze. Then when I topped it with the gel, it just slide down the strands. I thought the hold was hard but it softened up the next day without me doing anything to it. Love them together.

HealthyHair2020

My whole wash day tonight was a hit!

Hit:
Kazmalje Paddle Comb
Damn this comb really personifies finger detangling but better. Detangled my hair sooooo easily. Bye bye wide tooth comb!

Continued Hits:
SheScentIt Royal Honey and Argan Mask
I want like 6 of these in my stash right nooooow. Continues to have moisture and slip for daaaaaays.

Green Beauty REAL Protein Treatment
This paired with that SheScentIt Mask and the Mane Choice Peach Black Tea Mask continues to be amazing. Will definitely be repurchasing.

Will update this with my styling products when my hair dries.

oneastrocurlie

Hit:

I will also call the kazmalege (sp?) paddle comb a hit. The long bristles are great for doing bigger sections. I like the little parting piece at the end of the handle. Feels comfy in the hands even though is has a tiny of weight. Cut down my detangling time.

I was using my fhi unbrush brush but my hand would feel uncomfortable in it after a section or two. Glad I got it cheap at Marshall's. I will use it to detangle smaller sections for styling twist or to blow dry. I also don't think I like bristles that have any flex. Never liked the Denman and I used the ez detangler rarely because it seems like I'd lose a lot of hair.

naturalyogini

Hit:
Hennasooq cocoveda mask. Much thicker than the first time I tried it, when it first came out. I wish the C&P Mud mask was this thick. My hair was strong and very curly, but a little dry. Probably should have followed with a moisturizing conditioner, but I was too tired. Good stuff.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@naturalyogini
Good Review! I think I have a jar somewhere? :scratchchin: Nooo.....maybe I just have the Cocoveda Oil (in the jar).

The Mask gets such mixed reviews - so I've been hesitant to buy it.

HealthyHair2020

Hits
Kazmaleje Paddle Comb

I've said goodbye to my wide tooth comb for this. I've been really impressed with this so far and will continue to use this during wash day.

SheScentIt Papaya Super Hydrating Hair Mask
Can SheScentIt stop making good deep conditioners!? They're gonna continue to get my money bc the moisture upon application and after rinsing were immaculate. And of course the slip was good as well.

Last edited:

colorful_coils

This is going to be a long one - I'm listing all the products I've been using over the last couple of months.

Hits
  • Earthtones Naturals Max Curl Enhancing Gelly: amazing hold and definition. Wash and go's last a whole week for me when I use this. Slightly less hold than EcoSlay Jello Shot. This is the one gel I recommend using by itself - I get flakes otherwise. If you use enough water, it's moisturizing enough that you don't even miss the leave-in.
  • Earthtones Naturals Curl Styling Cream: this has become my go-to when I want both moisture and max definition for my twist-outs. The best cream-gel I've ever tried. It has the moisture of the Camille Rose one, with the definition of the Miche one. You don't need much of this, especially since you can quickly end up with flakes. Nice tropical scent.
  • Oyin Handmade boing! Coil Styler: another great cream for twist-outs and braid-outs. Better moisture than the Earthtones one, but a bit less definition and hold.
  • Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner: I use this as a leave-in instead of a rinse-out, and it gets the job done. Very moisturizing and a good base for many creams.
  • Shescentit Baobab Fluffy Curls Leave-in: A great leave-in for my high porosity hair. You don't need much when you use it on damp or wet hair, and the moisture lasts all week. Wouldn't recommend for wash-n-go's however - it doesn't mix well with many gels.
  • Shescentit Royal Honey and Argan Buttercream: a very moisturizing cream. Doesn't give much definition and can be a bit oily for fine hair, so I like it for protective styles.
  • Nature's Little Secret Mixed Fruit Nutrient Rich Deep Conditioner: I see why all the Youtubers love this. Sooo moisturizing and it has great slip. I can finger detangle with ease when I use this. It's also concentrated, so you don't need to use much of it. Might be a new staple DC!
  • Nature's Little Secret Irish Moss Cream: good definition and moisture when I used this for twist-outs, but a bit of frizz. The hold is ok - styles typically lasted 4-5 days. The price is also very good considering that you get 12oz. However, I do think there are better creams in terms of both moisture and definition.
Misses
  • Nature's Little Secret Banana Leave-in and Avocado Moisture Cream: no long lasting moisture with either of these, and not much slip. I had to use a lot of product to get my hair moisturized, and even then it lasted for about 2 days.
  • Nature's Little Secret Strawberry Styling Smoothie: my twist-outs had ok definition and moisture when I used this, but a lot of frizz. The hold was also atrocious, and I hated the scent. I think the Irish Moss cream is the better option.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Continued Hits

Keracare Curl Essence Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. Affordable on the ground line. Moisturizing, softening, cleansing. I like the whole line up minus the oil and coco spray ( never purchased those two)

New Hit

My Curls Xtra Defining Gel, That heavy super weighty feeling to a gel that I love. Defining and moisturizing.

Not a hit or a miss

Curl Origin Pink superfruit Weightless gel.

Its light and spreads easy. Its more of a botanical gel thats good for layering. I dont think I would use it alone but might for some bouncy twists one day.

prettyinpurple

Hit:
Mizani True Textures Moroccan Clay Steam Hair Mask
- I applied it and put a plastic cap over my head for a bit. I detangled and then rinsed my hair. It left my hair super soft and hydrated.
- Scent is pleasant and light.

Miss:
Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner
- returned to Sephora b/c of the strong scent

oneastrocurlie

I've used all my Adwoa Beauty stuff a couple of times now.

Hits:
Them offering their whole line in travel size containers - More companies should do this. It seems like it's a higher end brand thing (Innsersense offers this as well).
Shampoo - Not stripping. Nice tingle. I can feel that my scalp is clean. Would repurchase
DC - Also gives a nice tingle. Easy to detangle with. Would repurchase
Curl Defining Cream - Great for twist outs. Would repurchase in the travel size since I don't do twists outs regularly.
It's black owned

Not Misses but not stellar hits:
Leave in - Pretty regular. I used it under the cream for a twist out. I'm testing out my use of leave ins but I have others I'd grab for more so not a repurchase
Curl Defining Gel - It defines my curls but not the greatest hold. I like other combos I use for wash and goes better.

I didn't use the oil since I don't use oils in general. Will probably use as a cuticle oil for my nails.

prettyinpurple

I've used all my Adwoa Beauty stuff a couple of times now.

Hits:
Them offering their whole line in travel size containers - More companies should do this. It seems like it's a higher end brand thing (Innsersense offers this as well).
Shampoo - Not stripping. Nice tingle. I can feel that my scalp is clean. Would repurchase
DC - Also gives a nice tingle. Easy to detangle with. Would repurchase
Curl Defining Cream - Great for twist outs. Would repurchase in the travel size since I don't do twists outs regularly.
It's black owned

Not Misses but not stellar hits:
Leave in - Pretty regular. I used it under the cream for a twist out. I'm testing out my use of leave ins but I have others I'd grab for more so not a repurchase
Curl Defining Gel - It defines my curls but not the greatest hold. I like other combos I use for wash and goes better.

I didn't use the oil since I don't use oils in general. Will probably use as a cuticle oil for my nails.
I love travel sizes. Pattern has them too.

Honestly travel sizes are enough for me most of the time. It takes me a while to use up products.

HealthyHair2020

Continued Hit
Neges Banda Ayurvedic Prepoo
This made my wash day so much more enjoyable. Got out all of my shed hair while prepooing and then I had much less breakage during my wash day this time around. Plus my hair felt soft even while shampooing, although I used less shampoo than I normally do today. After one more use, I'm gonna declare this a staple.