Jumpin' on bandwagons

melodee

What does it take in order for you to jump on one of the current bandwagons 'round here?

We've got:
Of course The Phytowagon, steered by our ever loving Phytopusha KAddy
The Surgewagon- been around a minute, but still going strong
The Glover's Manewagon- Mocha's surefire way to grow hair
The Mane N' Tailmobile- driven by Southerngirl and a few others

I could go on and on...and this doesn't include the challenges.

Do you go out and buy a product the first time it's mentioned? Or is it a recommendation from a specific person that sends you flyin' to the store? How long do you wait before you decide the fad is really a good thing.

Anyone preparing to jump on a bandwagon? Or have just jumped on-or off?

pink_flower

When its related to increased growth I wait awhile, I have to see someone with results first and then I may get it. I usually have a ton of urges but I wait it out and even then the pj urge will pass after time.

As far as product recommendations, I'll purchase things from posters who've given good product recs in the past. I tend to be biased towards Tracy, Chaya (hair twin) and Supergirl. :grin:

Armyqt

I usually tend to wait and see how long it lasts. If it's been a good amount of time and everyone consistently getting good results, curiosity gets the best of me. :D

Speaking of bandwagons....I'm about to get on the Surge. I'm already on the Phyto and Mane and Tail. :D

ETA: Some of my product purchases are based on who's doing the recommending.

KAddy

Personally, I have been pretty good with the bandwagons, but I know I have been the lead in one of them.

From my observations, I think it really has to do with who is doing the recommendations. I mean, I know I have been pushing the phytorelaxer like my momma makes it
, but I believe if my hair was like AmryQT's or Melodee's or SouthernGirl's and I was pushing it, I bet more people would be on the bandwagon. I don't want to slight SherryLove because she has been using the phytoRelaxer for a while with excellent results. I think if she were pushing it like I was, there would be more people on board. I can't forget about Sengschick either. I am not saying people didn't jump on because it was only lil ole' me, I am confident in my powers of persuasion :lachen: I just think people want to see ladies with a phenomenal head of hair try something first and see what they say.

It's interesting that you post this because I was wondering this same thing last week. I think some people look at who is recommending based on their past recommendations and some look at the hair (in terms of length and health - in that order, IMO) of the person recommending it.

Last edited:

jasmin

I tend to wait. I like to get as much feedback as I can. There are only few (Elucence, Phyto) that I can say that I've jumped on real quick without too much hesitation (it's just a feeling I get).

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My hair is super finicky so I take my time about jumping on bandwagons. I have resisted the urge to switch to Phyto (so far) because the products I have been using have consistantly worked for me and I'm seeing good results.

I have a weakness for deep conditioners that are creamy and have super slip. When someone mentions one I go out and find it in the bss and read the ingredients and take a sniff to see how it smells. (I know its kinda silly but so far its worked). Since I deep condition weekly I wait till I'm almost out of what I'm using and then go try to find a sample size to try.

I also look to see others who have similar hair types have done with a product.

MonaLisa

Armyqt said:
I'm already on the Phyto and Mane and Tail. :D

ETA: Some of my product purchases are based on who's doing the recommending.

Co-signing - although I was gonna use Phyto regardless of da Pusha...I was researching for months prior to the bandwagon but she definitely did her part to seal the deal for me.

I thank Adrienne for pushing me towards Keracare Humecto and poo; I thank SouthernGirl for helping me to revisit Mane and Tail from my past. I thank the board overall for SURGE! lol. I think Caramel Honee is gonna make me try Emergencee based on how darn good her hair looks.:grin:

pink_flower

KAddy said:
Personally, I have been pretty good with the bandwagons, but I know I have been the lead in one of them.

From my observations, I think it really has to do with who is doing the recommendations. I mean, I know I have been pushing the phytorelaxer like my momma makes it
, but I believe if my hair was like AmryQT's or Melodee's or SouthernGirl's and I was pushing it, I bet more people would be on the bandwagon. I don't want to slight SherryLove because she has been using the phytoRelaxer for a while with excellent results. I think if she were pushing it like I was, there would be more people on board. I can't forget about Sengschick either. I am not saying people didn't jump on because it was only lil ole' me, I am confident in my powers of persuasion :lachen: I just think people want to see ladies with a phenomenal head of hair try something first and see what they say.

It's interesting that you post this because I was wondering this same thing last week. I think some people look at who is recommending based on their past recommendations and some look at the hair (in terms of length and health - in that order, IMO) of the person recommending it.

ITA! I know length is a factor for me. But I think thats normal, MOST of us here want long hair, so we naturally put more reliance into someone who has length already.

jasmin

I go by hair progress. I check to see how the hair has grown. I like to see the ladies with short hair that get the hair growing.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm not comfortable pushing b/c I'm protective of my products. When someone says something negative about Phyto I'm all over it (thank goodness for the edit feature and self monitoring via the delete button on my keyboard :look: ). So I can't push ppl b/c if they come back w/the negative I have to be prepared for that too. I just vouch for the products, I'll do a review and that's it.

I'll hop on a bandwagon for a few reasons, but it totally depends on what they are pushing. If there were an Affirm pusha, I probably wouldn't run over to it, b/c I like my current relaxer. There's no way in Hades I'd ever use Glovers Mane even if ppl here swore their hair grew 2 inches per month b/c I recall the smell from childhood the havoc it caused on my poor scalp. Now some ppl give reviews and recommendations, like CH and Tracy and I do give it extra stock b/c our hair seems to like the same thing and they both have beautiful hair. Then Labett, Webby or Candibaby will always follow w/a word of add'l support and those are voices I trust (among others) and again our hair seems to like the same things. Then some how :look: the product ends up in 'my cart'.

TigerLily

Hmmm.....interesting.......

I don't go by the person's hair at all. I go by how the person talks about the product; what it does for their hair and the ingredients in the product.

Question: Since almost everyone is biased towards the long haired folks, what about us short haired peoples or people who don't have 'pretty hair' like me? Should we just stop posting product raves? Would it be a waste of time? :confused:

MonaLisa

sengschick said:
There's no way in Hades I'd ever use Glovers Mane even if ppl here swore their hair grew 2 inches per month AND Then some how :look: the product ends up in 'my cart'.

LOL!!!:lachen:

LorraineCC

I must admit. I have jumped on a couple bandwagons before, but were good bandwagons. I usually go by what progress the person has received using the product and what condition their hair is in. If someone with jacked up hair recommended someting, I defintely would buy it. If their hair was jacked up and they have progress pics to show how good something worked for them, then I'll consider buying it.

pookeylou

jasmin said:
I go by hair progress. I check to see how the hair has grown. I like to see the ladies with short hair that get the hair growing.

That's me. I need to see pics. I need to see "month 1" pics. "Month 2" pics and "Month 3" pics. Then I can consider jumping on the wagon.

That is why I enjoy charting my own progress and using myself as a guinea pig. I can look at pics and see if stuff is really working before I reccomend it to others.

KAddy

TigerLily said:
Question: Since almost everyone is biased towards the long haired folks, what about us short haired peoples or people who don't have 'pretty hair' like me? Should we just stop posting product raves? Would it be a waste of time? :confused:

I don't think it is ever a waste of time as there is always something that someone else can learn. I don't think EVERYONE is biased towards long hair. I think some ladies may prefer to hear it from ladies with long, HEALTHY hair. Some ladies like healthy hair referrals.

Then there are ladies with shorter hair who are looking for recs too and may be likely to take them from people whose hair is similar to their's in length. I know some ladies mentioned to me that they try things because our hair was the same length in the beginning. So it's never a waste of time.

Last edited:

MonaLisa

KAddy said:
I don't think it is ever a waste of time as there is always something that soemone else can learn. I don't think EVERYONE is baised towards long hair. I think some ladies may prefer to hear it from ladies with long, HEALTHY hair. Some ladies like healthy hair referrals.

Then there are ladies with shorter hair who are looking for recs too and may be likely to take them from people whose hair is similar to their's in length. I know some ladies mentioned to me that they try things because our hair was the same length in the beginning. So it's never a waste of time.

Well said Pusha. Well said.

*Applause*

Chaya

When I first joined I jumped on every bandwagon. AIRDRYING, WET BUN, AIR DRY, BUN METHOD, V05, SURGE, no heat at all ( meaning no sitting under hair dryers, no hot water) My hair didnt appreciate anyone of these! Matter of fact my hair laughed at me and was like "What the helll are you doing?!?!"
The only way my hair likes to be styled is the rollerset. It grows like wildflowers this way.

I dont jump on bandwagons at all when it comes to products. Ok I take that back. I did buy Salerm 21 AND I will ONLY Rollerset my hair. ALOT of it at that. But I dont buy something just because a few people swear by it. Take for instance, Phyto. Its hard for me to put a chemical in my hair that I have never seen done by anyone I KNOW IN PERSON including the hairdresser that I SWEAR BY and LOVE TO DEATH!! Wont be me. Im pretty comfortable with my relaxer and regimine so I wont be going out and buying a relaxer off the shelf and do it in my own bathroom after my hair has thrived from Affirm and my hairdressers maintanence. I just dont know how my hair would react and iwont risk it.
Aside from chemicals, if my hair buddy/twin or someone who has good results OVER TIME from a particular product has thrived from it then I would try it like it. I tend to have to watch someone who comes on the board with ALREADY long hair and has recommendations because I dont know HOW they got there. So basically, I dont follow bandwagons...anymore.

sengschick

The Bun Master
TigerLily said:
Hmmm.....interesting.......

I don't go by the person's hair at all. I go by how the person talks about the product; what it does for their hair and the ingredients in the product.

I wouldn't take that attitude b/c some of the ppl I named, I haven't seen a whole album of pics of their hair (if any at all). Their product recommendations work for me or we use similar products that I already trust. My hair isn't long (yet) either, but I don't hesistate to post what I think b/c I am a decerning user.

I have to give this disclaimer, if the poster has jacked up hair... No I'm taking her advice or jumping on her bandwagon until I see some others w/positive results or a postive progression. No person on the street w/jacked hair could give me advice, so this forum is no different to me.

AllMine

jasmin said:

Here, Here....

That's the way I've set up my album...progress pics speaks for itself for me:)

Valerie

Well for me. The Surge Bandwagon, still going strong, also mixed with Wildgrowth oil and rosemary essential oil.
Mane'n' tail by Southerngirl, I can't imagine my hair without it. Very happy with the results.

BLESSED1

I'm very slow to jump on something. I look at why someone used it and what results they got. For surge I had hairline trouble, saw some amazing progress pics posted by people who were complaining about the same problem, bought the surge and happily had the same results so it was a keeper.

For transitioning, not sure if that's a bandwagon but nonetheless, saw so many beautiful curly heads and realized that my desire for naturally curly hair beat out my intention of relaxing anymore in my life.

For scurl, well I've been using that for 9 years so I don't consider that jumping on a bandwagon, just a really good hair staple for my hair :p

And lastly when I was relaxing on a regular basis, a lot of people were dismissing no-lye relaxer but I stuck with mine because I had a very bad experience with lye, and obtained healthy long hair while using no-lye relaxer for many years. If I hadn't decided to transition I would still be using no-lye, since I found that had worked very well on my hair type :)

sylver2

Not so much WHO, but if nearly Everyone is talking about a certain product. I'll give it a try, but usually that still doesn't work for me. When EVERYONE was talking about the Elasta QP Mango Butter, I did go out and buy some.
Didn't work for me, hated it.
When nearly EVERYONE was talking about the Himani Gold cream. I went out and bought some, and that did work for me. A WHOLE LOT of people have to have tried something and had good results for me to even think about trying it too.
what works for me usually works, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Last edited:

TigerLily

sengschick said:
I wouldn't take that attitude b/c some of the ppl I named, I haven't seen a whole album of pics of their hair (if any at all). Their product recommendations work for me or we use similar products that I already trust. My hair isn't long (yet) either, but I don't hesistate to post what I think b/c I am a decerning user.

I have to give this disclaimer, if the poster has jacked up hair... No I'm taking her advice or jumping on her bandwagon until I see some others w/positive results or a postive progression. No person on the street w/jacked hair could give me advice, so this forum is no different to me.

Well....that wasn't based on your post sengs or anyone's post. It's just something that I've noticed. I mean, I don't have long hair (and I"m not begrudging those that do) nor do I have curls; I just got a big ol' cottonball. It's not what you'd call 'pretty hair'....

Just wanted to throw that out there....I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who thought that.

kAddy:

I didn't say EVERYONE did that. I said almost everyone! :lol: . (I know; big difference!) I see what you're saying though. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

melodee

I agree with da pusha on the subject of product recommendations. It is natural to look to someone who is further along on their journey (as in long hair) for product advice. Especially if they mention that a particular product has helped them to achieve or maintain the length. My sensor may go off if Sherrylove, Den or Adrienne rave over how a product helped them. But I don't always look to those whose hair is longer than mine. How well someone has progressed means more to me than simply how long their hair is. Take a look in Caramelhonee's or Skegeesmb's, Ayesiha's or Audra Chanell's (and so on) and you can see the tremendous progress. And, yes, we all want some o' dat.

I'm always eagar to hear what KAddy or Kenesha have to say about products or ingredients, because they are intelligent and do their research. And, as mentioned above, their progress is evident.

So I wouldn't discourage anyone from making a rec. Beleive me it is going to mean something to someone on this board. I can't count the times that someone was able to recommend something to me in a pinch and I didn't even know what their hair looked like.

prettygrl

Personally, I like to hear from people who have hard to manage, coarse, extremly dense, very dry hair.

Because that is what I have.

I feel like if it works for them, then it might possibly work for me.

I am less inclined to try a new product if the rave is by someone with a drastically different hair type than mine.

If I know a product works for someone with 4B hair I'm more likely to try it then if I see a review of the same product by someone with 3b hair.

so If I see a lot of people, with my hair type raving about a product I will likely jump on the bandwagon