Just Had My Local Library Order "The Science of Black Hair"

vtoodler

Roughly 1.5 weeks ago, I asked my local library to order a copy of "The Science of Black Hair."

Guess what: The library obliged my request!!!

The book should be on the shelves in approximately a month. That means that not only will I benefit from it but so will others.

If you really like that book or any other book, ask your local library to do the same.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

I wanted to read that book and so a member on here loaned me their Kindle copy from Amazon. However, I think you only had 15 days to read it and I didn't finish reading it in that time. It's definitely an interesting and informative book tho, so I think I will see if my university library has it or will order it.

Evo-ny

Great idea! I think I'll do the same at my library as well. Even though I already have my own copy, I think others could and should benefit from the vast amount of information.

The only hair care books I've seen are dusty "how to french braid" manuals from the 70s.

danysedai

Great idea! I live in Canada and from the state of black hair in the street (and so many white moms with biracial kids) they could benefit from it.
I bought the Kobo version.

vtoodler

I wanted to read that book and so a member on here loaned me their Kindle copy from Amazon. However, I think you only had 15 days to read it and I didn't finish reading it in that time. It's definitely an interesting and informative book tho, so I think I will see if my university library has it or will order it.

If you're a student, you could probably get it through Interlibrary Loans as well.

I want to make this book more visible and accessible to black women.

Last edited:

Angelicus

The book is available in my town, Phoenix, AZ.

The book is incredible for people who don't know about LHCF. Sistaslick is amazing.

Ok ok ok, I'll say one bad thing about it: there is a self photo in the book with the camera showing. That was the only thing I didn't like.

HAIR VETS: If you are a vet, please buy this book and purchase it for a friend. Also, You may be a little bored reading the book if you are a vet.

vtoodler

Update:

I just had my two other local libraries order "The Science of Black Hair" and/or "Hair Care Rehab."

It is so much easier than I had expected.

Last edited:

vtoodler

Last edited:

Hairology

I encouraged my library system to purchase more copies, due to the high number of people waiting to borrow the book. Surprisingly they went from one copy to nine.

greenandchic

I just checked and my county library system has four copies! I'm shocked that it has that many, LOL. I just put one on hold to pick up. :D

Blairx0

What a great idea! Libraries are such a wonderful resource and I am happy to hear how well they are being used! Reading is power!

ETA: Turns out Chicago's public libraries have 18 copies!

Last edited:

vtoodler

What a great idea! Libraries are such a wonderful resource and I am happy to hear how well they are being used! Reading is power!

ETA: Turns out Chicago's public libraries have 18 copies!

Blairx0

Chicago's public libraries might have 18 copies, but what about the universities/colleges and high schools in Chicago? I imagine that The Science of Black Hair would be a great addition to their collections.

Blairx0

Blairx0

Chicago's public libraries might have 18 copies, but what about the universities/colleges and high schools in Chicago? I imagine that The Science of Black Hair would be a great addition to their collections.

i am sure it would. However many Chicago schools are networked to libraries, so maybe that will help. Besides it seems many of the schools are working to maintain their libraries with the basic. Sigh. It seems like in that regard some classic literature needs to come first.

vtoodler

i am sure it would. However many Chicago schools are networked to libraries, so maybe that will help. Besides it seems many of the schools are working to maintain their libraries with the basic. Sigh. It seems like in that regard some classic literature needs to come first.

Blairx0

Have you considered purchasing a copy of the book and donating it to the school's library?

That's likely what I will do for a few libraries near me. I imagine that the schools would appreciate it very much.

Last edited: