Just henna'd... hair is shedding more than normal. Help!!

yodie

I just henna'd yesterday and my hair seems to be shedding more than normal. I don't think it's falling out, but I have more shedding than I normally do. I'm wondering if I damaged my hair.

I mixed my henna with water, about 6 oz. yogurt and 1 tablespoon amla oil. After I henna'd, I moisturized with Neutrogena triple moisture conditioner. Today, I moisturized with conditioner again, put hot oil on it and sat under the dryer.

Has anyone had this same experience?

I'm nervous!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't afford to have my hair falling out.

My hair is also tangling and knotting more. Normal?

I know everyone has had great results with henna, but I'm not feeling too confident.

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPP!!!

It sounds like you need to deep condition with a good moisturizing conditioner like Humectress or Humecto, for example. Henna is like having a protein treatment and yogurt is also protein.

Thanks for responding.

I didn't realize henna was soo drying. Can I get the moisture back if I deep condition everyday for the next week?

Hope so, because that's what I plan on doing. I also spray Scurl moisturizer in my hair twice a day.

raeshan said:
I didn't realize henna was soo drying. Can I get the moisture back if I deep condition everyday for the next week?

Yes, definitely!

Dont worry, your hair will return to normal if you step up ure DC'ing and moisturizing. :)

I agree with the other ladies. The first time I henna'd I had a similar experience with dryness and had to step up my moisturizing for the next 3 days to get it to feel back to normal. I changed my recipe and haven't had a problem with dryness since.

2 tablespoons henna
1 tablespoon amla powder
1/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon indigo
1 tablespoon of conditioner
1 tablespoon of evoo
1 tablespoon of jojoba oil

Sometimes I change it up a bit but hair usually feels thicker and like silk after I rinse out. I do rinse with NTM to get that extra slip.

Deep condition for an hour at your next wash with a moisturizing conditioner and your hair will return to normal.

I experienced the same thing when I started using henna/indigo. I have stopped the drying effect by adding extra virgin olive oil and a moisturizing conditioner to my henna mix. Not sure if this will help, but its food for thought. I am still getting extra shedding though, but this could be due to the fact that my last relaxer was December 29th. I have started using Sta-Sof-Fro on my hair to combat the tangling.

It could also be that I have been over stressed for the last few months. Things have gotten better in the last few weeks, but the stress still could have taken its' toll. Another idea, it could also be a seasonal thing. I will hold off judgement until I get my next relaxer which is supposed to be this weekend unless I chicken out!

Thanks ladies.

Not sure that I'll henna ever again, but for now I'll definitely deep condition everyday until my hair returns to normal.

Praying that my shedding will stop and my hair will feel soft again.

I had the same problem when I henned last week. I was rinising the henna out and my hair was a tangled messed. I am however, going to give henna another chance but maybe cocanut milk instead of yogurt.

Back