Just saw the film "Soulmate" and...

PaperClip

...it's not what you think it is... it's even better!!!

I went prepared to leave the screening with a gaping hole in my heart due to all of the lamenting I expected to hear from the women in the film. It was the most HONEST examination of the struggles of single Black women in the church/Christ with regard to marriage after a certain age. I can't articulate everything just yet because I'm so emotionally drained yet I'm grateful on so many levels.

After the screening, we were able to dialogue about the content and I was able to express some things out loud that I had not been able to express before. Everyone was so encouraging and the comfort of the Holy Spirit was in the place. I left there being reminded that God is good, sovereign, knows all about me and my desires and struggles, and that He's SPARED ME FROM SOOOOO MUCH!!! SO MUCH! SO grateful for what He has spared me from.... and I need to fully give this desire over to Him. I knew this is what I needed to do but I didn't know how...I have to start somewhere, though....start on my knees....

I commend the producer Andrea Wiley because she approached this from a sincere, God-inspired place in her heart.

I hope that you all get a chance to see it. I would like to share it with everyone I know (including those who are married) so that there is a deeper understanding of what's going on....

God bless you all....

I'm so happy to see this post from you, Rehab. Do you know that I've been praying for you to not be saddened anymore regarding marriage?

You're one of a special select persons who pull at my heart the most, and when I read your posts I hurt when you hurt.

I'm still 'Shimmie' with my many revelations, still to come and I'm sure to 'stir up more excitement' (you know how 'deep' I can get.) :lol: But I love you so, Little Sister. The desires you have for your life have touched my heart and I agree in prayer for you to have them, all. For your joy, I have prayed, for you deserve it and so much more.

Precious one, you are most lovable and loved... :kiss: This is the truth.

Shimmie said:
I'm so happy to see this post from you, Rehab. Do you know that I've been praying for you to not be saddened anymore regarding marriage?

You're one of a special select persons who pull at my heart the most, and when I read your posts I hurt when you hurt.

I'm still 'Shimmie' with my many revelations, still to come and I'm sure to 'stir up more excitement' (you know how 'deep' I can get.) :lol: But I love you so, Little Sister. The desires you have for your life have touched my heart and I agree in prayer for you to have them, all. For your joy, I have prayed, for you deserve it and so much more.

Wow that is beautiful! God bless

Shimmie said:

Wow... I'm so honored and humbled and touched all at the same time.... If you had been at the gathering today, I cried my eyes out! I'm still emotionally exhausted....

I'm so grateful for you, Shimmie. Your words have been my stepping stones in so many ways in the short time that I have been here at LCHF. I can't say much more 'cause I don't know how to articulate what's on my heart.... Please know that I thank you and appreciate you dearly. From my heart I do....

RelaxerRehab said:
...it's not what you think it is... it's even better!!!

I went prepared to leave the screening with a gaping hole in my heart due to all of the lamenting I expected to hear from the women in the film. It was the most HONEST examination of the struggles of single Black women in the church/Christ with regard to marriage after a certain age. I can't articulate everything just yet because I'm so emotionally drained yet I'm grateful on so many levels.

After the screening, we were able to dialogue about the content and I was able to express some things out loud that I had not been able to express before. Everyone was so encouraging and the comfort of the Holy Spirit was in the place. I left there being reminded that God is good, sovereign, knows all about me and my desires and struggles, and that He's SPARED ME FROM SOOOOO MUCH!!! SO MUCH! SO grateful for what He has spared me from.... and I need to fully give this desire over to Him. I knew this is what I needed to do but I didn't know how...I have to start somewhere, though....start on my knees....

I commend the producer Andrea Wiley because she approached this from a sincere, God-inspired place in her heart.

I hope that you all get a chance to see it. I would like to share it with everyone I know (including those who are married) so that there is a deeper understanding of what's going on....

God bless you all....

Thanks for the review. I had no personal intention or desire to see it, but now after reading your post, I may have to find out if there is a screening in my area.

cocoberry10 said:
Thanks for the review. I had no personal intention or desire to see it, but now after reading your post, I may have to find out if there is a screening in my area.

Hey, Cocoberry....

I humbly encourage you to watch it... or maybe you can get access to the DVD to watch at home. Don't watch it by yourself at first because you'll want/need to talk about the feelings evoked by the film. I liked that I was able to see the film in a setting with a small group of people because I was boo-hoo'in up in the place!

It's a more expansive dialogue than the previews suggest. There are interviews and clips from both men and women and it talks about several issues pertaining to relationships and Black women. It's not just a bunch of women sitting around crying. First of all, every single sister in this film is BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! PRETTY! STUNNING! All shapes, sizes, shades, long hair, short hair, weaves, locs. They were professional, accomplished women. And hear me when I say they were HONEST about their struggles. There's one lady who is a pastor of a BIG church in Atlanta. Her story was beyond inspiring....

The lady who had this screening at her home today plans to do larger screenings, starting with our church. I agree with her that it is important to have counselors on hand to minister to the people because even in our conversation today, SO MANY deep, personal issues came forth that had less to do with singleness and more to do with people walking wounded in and out of church.

I encourage you and everyone to take time to watch this film, even if you are married. There's a lot to learn and think about.

ccd said:
Wow that is beautiful! God bless

Consider this love 'CC'd' to you; with all of it's original intent and purposes. :kiss:

Last edited:
Is it a movie or play? where did you see it? I would like to see what the writer of this is trying to say.

star said:
Is it a movie or play? where did you see it? I would like to see what the writer of this is trying to say.

It's more like a documentary. The lady who heads the singles ministry at my church had a screening at her house and I was invited to go...like a pre-screening before a larger screening at the church. I was SO GRATEFUL for the intimate setting because I was more comfortable to just open up and release....

I believe that the writer wasn't necessarily trying to say anything but to bring light and voice to the unspoken struggles that THOUSANDS of single Black women (in and out of the church, but mainly believers) with regard to marriage and family. The writer said she was continually surprised at the frequency that she heard her single girlfriends say that same thing about the struggles with loneliness and not finding that true relationship done GOD's way.... If nothing else, the documentary shows that there are many people going through the same issues.... These people (me included) didn't expect to be in the 30s and 40s (and some 50s) and still be single.

There's a pastor in the film as well and he asks an important question: if it (marriage and family) doesn't happen, how would you live your life?

The film doesn't offer solutions, but it brings this phenomenon into the forefront. There are many more singles than marrieds in the church. The documentary articulates these struggles so that individuals and the body of Christ can begin to work on some solutions to help....

The main thing that I got out of it is that I have to give this and every desire over to the Lord. And give it over to Him FOR REAL....

RelaxerRehab said:
It's more like a documentary. The lady who heads the singles ministry at my church had a screening at her house and I was invited to go...like a pre-screening before a larger screening at the church. I was SO GRATEFUL for the intimate setting because I was more comfortable to just open up and release....

I believe that the writer wasn't necessarily trying to say anything but to bring light and voice to the unspoken struggles that THOUSANDS of single Black women (in and out of the church, but mainly believers) with regard to marriage and family. The writer said she was continually surprised at the frequency that she heard her single girlfriends say that same thing about the struggles with loneliness and not finding that true relationship done GOD's way.... If nothing else, the documentary shows that there are many people going through the same issues.... These people (me included) didn't expect to be in the 30s and 40s (and some 50s) and still be single.

There's a pastor in the film as well and he asks an important question: if it (marriage and family) doesn't happen, how would you live your life?

The film doesn't offer solutions, but it brings this phenomenon into the forefront. There are many more singles than marrieds in the church. The documentary articulates these struggles so that individuals and the body of Christ can begin to work on some solutions to help....

The main thing that I got out of it is that I have to give this and every desire over to the Lord. And give it over to Him FOR REAL....
Thanks for update!!

Back