Just wondering....

carolb21

Whenever I go to the DOM salon, the ladies in there for the most part have standing appointments and come every week. They get their hair set and blown out every week. All of their hair is long and healthy, one ladies is waist length. Most of theses ladies have been going there for years. I have even witnessed ladies coming back trying to get appointments because they stopped coming and someone else broke their hair off. Morena said that I needed to come every week or two weeks so that my hair would get use to the dryer. (Man is it hot!) I thought that the excessive heat would be too damaging, but is it really? Morena says that you have to know how to use the heat so that you do not damage the hair.

I love the way my hair looks and feels when I leave, so my question is; "Should I go every week or will the heat damage my hair?"

great question!!!... i was wondering this too since i'm a recent convert... i want to go at least once a month for an emergency treatment and blowout but i was wondering about the heat aspects...

^^^^SqrpioQtie your hair looks great girl, wonderful progress :D .

I would only let them roller wrap my hair wkly and when I'm super post relaxer like 10 or 12 wks post then I would get the roots blown out but only every other wk.

Yeah, these women are African-american and one lady said that she had really damaged hair about a year ago. I have watched them get relaxers and IMO they overlap really bad, but their hair still looks healthy and it is definitely long. This has puzzled me since last year, because I was torn with going every week. In the spring I let them do a colorshine rinse and started to experience breakage, so I braided up for 16 weeks. My hair is doing really well now and I am self relaxing, but going for blowouts when I have special events. They do use really good conditioners and Morena seems to really care about healthy hair. I love my hair when it is blown out. :) What's a girl to do?

I think this is evidence that all hair advice is be inclusive of everyone. Most people's hair suffer damage from a Dom Salon weekly but as you said, you have seen the women in the salon with long hair. My question is do they have 'thick' hair...their hair may be long, but it wont look healthy if it's thinning. If so, then i would believe that these women in this particular salon know what they are doing... and remember that not all salons are created equal. perhaps they use a great heat protectant and they are sure to deep cond the ladies head? Or perhaps the ladies they only been going for a year or so, so it's too early to see the damage? Or perhaps these ladies hair is long, but it is thinning out due to the tugging with the brush and the heat? I don't know. But it's worth a try. But i do not believe that your hair can withstand the heat weekly, but maybe every 2 weeks would be good. and be sure to only have them blowing out the roots, until you are at least 7weeks post. I've been blowing out my hair weekly for the past year and the damage was not evident until recently...Its nothing alarming but my hair is noticeably drier and i didn't retain as much growth as i'd like....so i'm trying to do rollersets weekly now...

Back