Keeping a Wrap/Press When Exercising

Dlene

How do you keep a wrap style or press and curl when exercising? A friend of mine suggested I wrap it while I exercise, but I barely get by when I wrap my hair at night, so why go through the pain and agony and wasting of time trying to wrap it twice a day. Plus, I will be looking like a fool if I walk up to the gym or a class for that matter with a wrap. I have to use TWO satin scarves to hold my hair down because my hair is extremely thick. The other problem is I am afraid to sweat out my press because I am 12 weeks post trying to transition to natural, so I am pretty sure my roots will revert back to its kinky state, which doesn't bother me, but I am trying to keep the style for more than one day. My hair style usually keeps me from exercising? Any advice...

Cheleigh

My advice: don't straighten it on the days you know you will excercise. The beauty of natural hair is that it can just "be." I haven't blown dry or straightened my hair since June. Ponytails, flexirods, and buns are my best friends, especially when I work out.

Try to wet your hair (the part that needs to be brushed back), add a creamy leave-in with a strong gel like fantasia and use either jcoily's toothbrush method or a boar's bristle brush. Put hair into a pony or bun. Then tie a scarf around that part for a minimum of 20 minutes while it dries.

Your hair is then excercise ready and should look as good leaving the club as it did going in. My hair stays flat to my head when I use this method.

brownsugar9999

Girll..those two shoudln't be in the same sentence...exercise and keeping a Press and curl!!!!! HAHAHA...If you wrap it, then ALL of your hair gets wet and sweaty...if you pull it in a tight ponytail, and let it dry before you take it down, then it has a diffetent texture than the pony part...you kind of CAN't win!

kristina

I'm so excited to tell you because I have finally figured this out myself. I just flat ironed my hair on Monday and I've been going to the gym everyday (doing cardio and sweating) and my hair is holding up quite well. The trick is primarily the product you use when flat ironing. I apply a dab(!) of marcel curl wax (it's red) to the root of each section before flat ironing. Then I wear my hair in a high, tight ponytail and braid the loose hair. I will show post pictures next week to show- it's absolutely amazing.

chellee

kristina said:
I'm so excited to tell you because I have finally figured this out myself. I just flat ironed my hair on Monday and I've been going to the gym everyday (doing cardio and sweating) and my hair is holding up quite well. The trick is primarily the product you use when flat ironing. I apply a dab(!) of marcel curl wax (it's red) to the root of each section before flat ironing. Then I wear my hair in a high, tight ponytail and braid the loose hair. I will show post pictures next week to show- it's absolutely amazing.

When you apply the curl wax to the root, does the heat from the flat iron distribute it down the length of your hair?

kristina

chellee said:
When you apply the curl wax to the root, does the heat from the flat iron distribute it down the length of your hair?

exactly! If you put any more than a dab, it'll be super greasy (the stuff is grease btw). My hair hasn't reverted except in the spots in the back a little where I got lazy and stopped applying it.

Deniece

Natural Beauty
I haven't pressed my hair in 8 months...and have figured out a whole lotta ways to rock it, and don't have to worry about the gym factor anymore...it is like whatever work as hard as you want it doesn't matter.

But.....when I did press....I would just wrap my hair and tie it down w/ 2 scarves cause my hair is thick too...and the trick is you can't take it down right then cause there is sweat still in your hair...so I would just work out in the evening ..shower when I got home and keep my hair wrapped until morning...and voila same old banging press....lol..HTH

If you need to go somewhere later....I just know you at least need to keep it tied down for like an hour after your workout...cause if not you wwill have the poof

kristina

Cheleigh said:
My advice: don't straighten it on the days you know you will excercise. The beauty of natural hair is that it can just "be." I haven't blown dry or straightened my hair since June. Ponytails, flexirods, and buns are my best friends, especially when I work out.

Try to wet your hair (the part that needs to be brushed back), add a creamy leave-in with a strong gel like fantasia and use either jcoily's toothbrush method or a boar's bristle brush. Put hair into a pony or bun. Then tie a scarf around that part for a minimum of 20 minutes while it dries.

Your hair is then excercise ready and should look as good leaving the club as it did going in. My hair stays flat to my head when I use this method.

OT but what is the toothbrush method??? Is it what I'm guess- brushing the hair wet with a toothbrush???

caligirl

When I used to wear a press and run on the treadmill every morning, here's what I did:

Braid my hair in two braids like pocohantas and cover with a scarf. After my workout I would shower and let my hair cool off a little bit before taking it down. By the time I undid the braids I would have really pretty wavy hair and wear it in a ponytail. Back then I only washed my hair every 3 weeks when I got it pressed. I wash my hair more now so I hardly ever press it.

HoneyDew

Dlene you are relaxed like me. It can be a pain even with relaxed hair, IMO. I just wrap my hair with a scarf so that my roots will stay flat. It works, but gets harder as my hair grows.

I will wrap it the same way I would if I were going to bed at night. Then after working out, I just use a shower cap to shower and my hair still stays dry.

After I cool down from the work out, my hair dries flat. In the morning I have to apply a little moisture, but its fine.

Divine Inspiration

HoneyDew said:
Dlene you are relaxed like me. It can be a pain even with relaxed hair, IMO. I just wrap my hair with a scarf so that my roots will stay flat. It works, but gets harder as my hair grows.

I will wrap it the same way I would if I were going to bed at night. Then after working out, I just use a shower cap to shower and my hair still stays dry.

After I cool down from the work out, my hair dries flat. In the morning I have to apply a little moisture, but its fine.

:yep: This is what I do. If I didn't have my hair tied down/wrapped, I'd be a poofy mess after my workouts.

I just wanted to say, please, please, please, please do NOT let something like your hair get in the way of exercise. Your health and long-term well being is so much more important than looking cute. Please keep that in mind.:)

Suri

When I was relaxed and I worked out, my hair would be soaked and I would wash and air dry curly.

I think that when you work out you just have to style it after washing. I personally don't like the idea of my hair sweating(and everything that's in it) sweating into my skin without thoroughly cleansing it afterward or within the next 1-2 days. Sometimes if I press, I just forego working out...my presses don't last for more than about 3 days.

I agree that you may have to pick one or the other. I say chose the workout. 3 months of cute hair hardly compares to a healthy body :)

Dlene

Thanks for the advice ladies. I am so excited. I just wanted to know how to keep it styled for upcoming events, pictures and interviews, which are all coming up in the month of February. LOL!!! Thanks for the advice. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to forego the upcoming 3 days without exercising, just so I can look ok for my upcoming interview and then for the other events I'll just have to try the wrap and exercise method or the picture will have to deal with me and my bun. LOL!!!!:lachen:

HoneyDew

Dlene said:
Thanks for the advice ladies. I am so excited. I just wanted to know how to keep it styled for upcoming events, pictures and interviews, which are all coming up in the month of February. LOL!!! Thanks for the advice. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to forego the upcoming 3 days without exercising, just so I can look ok for my upcoming interview and then for the other events I'll just have to try the wrap and exercise method or the picture will have to deal with me and my bun. LOL!!!!:lachen:

I would go a few days w/o exercise if I have a lot going on. That is a good idea.

I have to wash my hair every 2-3 days but I like to workout everyday. It is a pain.

Isis

I haven't had any problems working out and dealing with hair issues. Usually, my hair is braided up when I exercise and I make sure I have cool air blowing on me so I'm not sweating as much.
I wash every 3 days.

wyldcurlz

Kristina,

i will be WAITING to see these pictures. i've been trying for years to figure out how to keep my hair and my @$$ looking good at the same time and i'd just given up on my hair (and sometimes on the @$$ too). please, please, please post your pictures as soon as you get a chance! i'd love to be able to wear my press/flat-iron AND workout too!!!! yay!!!

Thanks and i can't wait for your update!

kristina said:

kristina

wyldcurlz said:
Kristina,

i will be WAITING to see these pictures. i've been trying for years to figure out how to keep my hair and my @$$ looking good at the same time and i'd just given up on my hair (and sometimes on the @$$ too). please, please, please post your pictures as soon as you get a chance! i'd love to be able to wear my press/flat-iron AND workout too!!!! yay!!!

Thanks and i can't wait for your update!

In my length-check in album, I have the pictures of my hair flat ironed with the curl wax. I swear it hasn't reverted but I'll wait until next week to some follow-up pictures.