Keisha Knight Pulliam aka "Rudy" doesn't have a relaxer...

Jazzmommy

I have a girlfriend who has been getting her hair pressed almost all of her life. Basically so her stylist only really needs to blow dry her hair now and maybe press the edges ... so her hair is now trained after years of pressing. She has about 4a/b hair.

naturalpride

It's possible to get hair that straight without relaxing, because I do my own hair that straight and I am mostly 4A with a little 3c at the crown and in my nape an it last up to a month without any reversion:)

mahogany_horizons

I am actually of the belief that it's a little easier for 4a/b's to keep their hair straight once its flat ironed. I have 3c hair and I swear that it snatches any little moisture molecule out of the air and curls up at the roots. This is great for wearing your hair in a wash'n go, but a beast for trying to keep it straight. My sister has 4a hair and its the prettiest thing ever when its flat-ironed. It hangs heavy and straight, where mine is a cotton candy puff.

I GOTTA AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH THIS ONE!!

mahogany_horizons

AMEN!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I notice this too! I remember our childhood press-n-curls. The 3c cousins like me found that our hair may have been easier to straighten but the 4a/b cousins didn't have such a beast of a time keeping it straight. We couldn't even think about water or our porous cottony curls would start to frizz and puff up. :rolleyes:

YESS!! YESS!! THIS IS very, VERY true!

mahogany_horizons

Hey Beautiful, that is not the case. I am a 3b/c and my hair cant even get straight with a relaxer:lachen:It is completely resistant( I have heard other type 3s say the same thing). I can get it relaxer straight with the Maxiglide and its because of the teeth. I have a Chi that is of no good to me. Maxiglide is the only thing that works on my hair. It stays pretty straight as long as I dont sweat. I dont know what to tell you sis. I really think her hair stays(during work outs) because it is heat trained.

I agree with this. I have 3c hair, 4a AROUND just the edges in the front....anyhow, even though my hair is relaxed.....if I go out in the humidity, and my hair is flat ironed, it will REVERT! That's the curse of curly hair! It gets straightened very quickly, but IT'S KEEPING it straight that's the battle.

When my mother straightens my hair, and I've got a fresh relaxer....after she blow drys it, I only need 1 or to passes with the curling iron before my hair is silky show room straight! BUT IT'S KEEEPING IT THAT WAY, (in the summer) that is the battle!

I agree with this. I have 3c hair, 4a AROUND just the edges in the front....anyhow, even though my hair is relaxed.....if I go out in the humidity, and my hair is flat ironed, it will REVERT! That's the curse of curly hair! It gets straightened very quickly, but IT'S KEEPING it straight that's the battle.

This is the exact same issue that I have..it is sooo frustrating trying to wear straight styles, especially in the summer. If it's humid, I don't even bother to straigthen my hair. I also have the same issue when working out..it's hard to keep a straight style because it gets ruined from the sweat..:wallbash: I wish I didn't have curly hair..

Eisani

Ionknow, could it be a combo of both type and technique? I'm a 3c/4a, mostly 3c and my hair never got completely straight w/a relaxer, nor did it hold a press well. My bff on the other hand is a 4b and growing up, her presses would last 2 weeks, even in the summer playing outside and all. We went to the same hairdresser. I think the difference in type has a lot to do with it because if she can work out, sweat and her hair not revert while a 3b/c person can't even get a lil overheated before their hair starts to wave/curl up, there's something to it...just a thought.

PinkSkates

I am actually of the belief that it's a little easier for 4a/b's to keep their hair straight once its flat ironed. I have 3c hair and I swear that it snatches any little moisture molecule out of the air and curls up at the roots. This is great for wearing your hair in a wash'n go, but a beast for trying to keep it straight. My sister has 4a hair and its the prettiest thing ever when its flat-ironed. It hangs heavy and straight, where mine is a cotton candy puff.

Great post and ITA! I'm type 4a (my hair is very similar to KKP's hair) and my natural straightened hair has no problem staying straight once its pressed. My hair hangs heavy also like your sisters and holds body. When my hair was relaxed it did not behave this way. My natural hair, straightening skills using heat, and products I use all work in my hair's favor. And that's probably the case with KKP's hair.

jamaicalovely

It's possible to get hair that straight without relaxing, because I do my own hair that straight and I am mostly 4A with a little 3c at the crown and in my nape an it last up to a month without any reversion:)

I totally agree. My siggy is proof! More pics in fotki showing super straight roots. LHCF member Balisi did it for me.

lovelymissyoli

It could just be the technique being used to straighten her hair. I don't believe in all that "training your hair" stuff. I call that "heat damage". But I do believe she gets more than a regular blow dry and flat iron. I'm thinking a pressing comb may be used in addition to going over the hair with a flat iron.

Lava27

To all the 3 types with all these reversion problems I have to ask my good friend what she does. I noticed she used to have major reversion problems (she's relaxed) and now she doesn't anymore. I wonder why...I'll ask her what's up.