Kenra MC - how to increase slip

Postal

Hey everyone,

So I got Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner based on the rave reviews. I used it a couple of days ago as a deep conditioner for abour 30-45 minutes. When I tried to wash and detangle---I couldn't! My hair was really really tangled. Took me about 3 hours to detangle my hair.

My hair felt moisturized after I had dried my hair and wrapped it up for the night. So I assume that Kenra does a good moisturizing my hair, but all that good is wiped out by the fact that I lost a good amount of hair detangling it.

I still have this bottle and want to finish it. Are there any recommendations on oils I can mix with the conditioner to provide more slip? I had read that that was an option.

Thanks for reading! Suggestions are appreciated.

Seems like you sacrifice losing unnecesary hair just to get the outcome of seemingly moisturized hair afterwards. There may be better options out there for you, but I just wonder if perhaps you could use a leave-in conditioner that might help with the detangling. You could also try serums if you don't mind cones in general, and I've also seen people add oils to wet hair for detangling.

Some of the others will chime in with ideas...

It just seems to me that maybe this particular conditioner might not be suited for your hair.

Thanks !

I just want to finish off this bottle, then switch to another conditioner.
I'm new to this hair game and just want to reduce costs

Anyone else...?

I had that problem with Kenra. I felt like it moisturized my hair but it didn't give me much slip. I gave it away. I understand you not wanting to waste money but if it caused a tangled mess I wouldn't bother with it anymore. Like mentioned, you may be able to find another use for it. If you're dead set on still using it, I suppose you could try mixing some oil into it. Or perhaps mixing it with another conditioner?

Just curious, have you been using a lot of protein products in your hair prior to this use of Kenra? What you described sounds just like when I used to get protein overload. When my hair was wet it was a tangled mess; when it was dry it was soft.

Maybe try using it again, but not for so long. Like 15-20 mins instead.

Olive oil added to conditioners usually helps add slip (in my experience).

Just curious, have you been using a lot of protein products in your hair prior to this use of Kenra? What you described sounds just like when I used to get protein overload. When my hair was wet it was a tangled mess; when it was dry it was soft.

Maybe try using it again, but not for so long. Like 15-20 mins instead.

Olive oil added to conditioners usually helps add slip (in my experience).

Actually, I cut back on the protein use prior to using Kenra. I hadn't used it for two weeks prior to DC'ing my hair with Kenra.

I really liked the feeling of my hair after it dried because it felt soft and moisturized. Normally, my hair gets dry so quickly especially the ends. Perhaps I can mix this conditioner with a conditioner that gives more slip, in addition to, or instead of, mixing it with oils?

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

You may have to obtain the elusive slip from another product and use the Kenra MC solely for its moisturizing DC'ing properties (for instance, my shampoo provides me with the slip necessary for detangling, which allows me to use my DCs purely for moisture or protein purposes).

Once I separated slip and moisture into two distinct categories, my journey became easier. Besides, the only DCs that have ever afforded me with both slip and moisture are ORS Replenishing and Nairobi Humecta-Sil.

I agree. I JUST used this today and got great results, but I detangled first, shampoo'd, rinsed in twists, and THEN applied my Kenra mixed with a smidgen of Olive oil. I left it on my head for about an hour and rinsed. I used some cheapie conditioner to detangle.

Wow...Kenra MC melts my tangles and give me the best slip. Now Joico is another story. What works for one may not work for all.

You may have to obtain the elusive slip from another product and use the Kenra MC solely for its moisturizing DC'ing properties (for instance, my shampoo provides me with the slip necessary for detangling, which allows me to use my DCs purely for moisture or protein purposes).

Once I separated slip and moisture into two distinct categories, my journey became easier. Besides, the only DCs that have ever afforded me with both slip and moisture are ORS Replenishing and Nairobi Humecta-Sil.

Thanks y'all. I also don't detangle prior to DC'ing so that would have to change if I were to continue to use this product. I often rely on slip from the conditioner to help me out with that. So interesting that Kenra is so different on everyone's hair!

Back