Ladies what hair are you using for your kinky twists?

morehairplease

And how are you sealing them? Yesterday, my braider tried to do kinky twist with the hair that I purchased from the bss but was unable to b/c it would not twist right or something like that. The lady at the bss assured my that the hair I purchased(Janet brand kanekalon afro marley hair) was the hair the is used for kinky twist. She sealed them with a twist & lock gel that has a purplish top and it still did not work. Ladies any suggestions on hair and sealing techinques to try is greatly appreciated b/c I really want kinky twist extensions.

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

ETA: has anyone used this hair before:
http://www.monahaircenter.com/twistkinky.htm

If so, how did you like it? tia

Last edited:

ibelieve

Yep, there is a certian kinky hair that must be used to do kinky twist. I also bought the wrong hair when I took my daugter to get hers done. You DO NOT want to have them put in with the wrong hair. My braider showed me pictures of how the twist come out and they look pretty jacked up. Very lumpy and the twist won't come out even.

Unfortunately, I am at work and can not look at the pack of hair that I used to tell you which one to go with. I can say it is the cheaper hair though. Typically about $4.00-6.00/pack. The hair I originally bought was more expensive.

mscocoface

I have used two types the afro chunky that comes in a ball or rectangular shape and you have to pull it apart and the Black and Gold Rastafarian Dredlock. This one I like the best because it was already set up in single strands and you just added it to your hair.

I never had an issue with either of these hair types. I have seen where people will braid the very end of the twists. You can't see the change up in the pattern and that keeps the ends closed.

I have never had a problem with either of these hair types I noted above.

Keen

tishee said:
And how are you sealing them? Yesterday, my braider tried to do kinky twist with the hair that I purchased from the bss but was unable to b/c it would not twist right or something like that. The lady at the bss assured my that the hair I purchased(Janet brand kanekalon afro marley hair) was the hair the is used for kinky twist. She sealed them with a twist & lock gel that has a purplish top and it still did not work. Ladies any suggestions on hair and sealing techinques to try is greatly appreciated b/c I really want kinky twist extensions.

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

ETA: has anyone used this hair before:
http://www.monahaircenter.com/twistkinky.htm

If so, how did you like it? tia

I can't remember the brand I bought but they looked close to that in the picture. My braider did not have to use any gel to seal them. I would say if you have to use a sealant, you may be using the wrong hair.

hothair

Sensationnel Afro Kinky. if you've got a different hair pack the braider may have to plait the very end to seal (and depending on how silky the hair is, dip it (the very end) in hot water. HTH

morehairplease

ibelieve said:
Yep, there is a certian kinky hair that must be used to do kinky twist. I also bought the wrong hair when I took my daugter to get hers done. You DO NOT want to have them put in with the wrong hair. My braider showed me pictures of how the twist come out and they look pretty jacked up. Very lumpy and the twist won't come out even.

Unfortunately, I am at work and can not look at the pack of hair that I used to tell you which one to go with. I can say it is the cheaper hair though. Typically about $4.00-6.00/pack. The hair I originally bought was more expensive.

this is how they were yesterday when my braider did a couple in the back to try the hair out.

morehairplease

mscocoface said:
I have used two types the afro chunky that comes in a ball or rectangular shape and you have to pull it apart and the Black and Gold Rastafarian Dredlock. This one I like the best because it was already set up in single strands and you just added it to your hair.

I never had an issue with either of these hair types. I have seen where people will braid the very end of the twists. You can't see the change up in the pattern and that keeps the ends closed.

I have never had a problem with either of these hair types I noted above.

thanks sweetie! I will look to see if the bss has either of these next time.

morehairplease

hothair said:
Sensationnel Afro Kinky. if you've got a different hair pack the braider may have to plait the very end to seal (and depending on how silky the hair is, dip it (the very end) in hot water. HTH

hothair thanks. Once I got home last night, I thought about the suggesting to dip the ends in hot water but decided to get the yarn braids instead. I am getting the kinky twists next go around though.

morehairplease

Keen said:
I can't remember the brand I bought but they looked close to that in the picture. My braider did not have to use any gel to seal them. I would say if you have to use a sealant, you may be using the wrong hair.

thanks Keen