People With Thick Hair Shouldn't Get Kinky Twists?!

Lady S

I was chatting with a coworker the other day and told her I was thinking about getting kinky twists. She said that would be a bad idea, because I have super thick hair and kinky twists don't last long when you have thick hair. My reaction was pretty much o_O Yes, I have concerns about them slipping out, but I'd think that would be more of a risk for people with fine/thin hair. I have very thick, coarse natural hair. But I'm also not an expert in braids and twist extensions, so I wanted to check with you fine ladies before I spend money on a style that may not last too long. Anyone heard or witnessed people with thick hair having problems w/ kinky twists?

claudzie

Strolling with Unicorns
I have thick natural hair and I got kinky twists. I had no problem, yes it lasts a little less than it would if you had relaxed hair but it is not an issue

Lady S

My hair is thick and I can't do twists. The frizz is REAL. They also unravel a bit making the look not look as neat as I would like. I stick to braids, my thick hair can't undo them lol

Were you using Marley hair or that less kinky braiding hair? I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

faithVA

I'm confused. I have so many questions. I have dense hair which is what I think you mean. I've worn kinky twists several times and never had an issue. I've also done my own a few times. My hair is bushy so my twist puff up but that has more to do with the curliness of my hair versus my density.

I think you should try it. Maybe have a consult with your stylist first.

Lady S

I'm confused. I have so many questions. I have dense hair which is what I think you mean. I've worn kinky twists several times and never had an issue. I've also done my own a few times. My hair is bushy so my twist puff up but that has more to do with the curliness of my hair versus my density.

I think you should try it. Maybe have a consult with your stylist first.

I have a LOT of hair, dense would be an appropriate way to describe it. I'm so confused, too! That's why I had to ask! I can see how it would take longer to do them, but that's the same with braids. My real hair tolerates twists well, so I'd think adding extensions wouldn't be that big of a deal, but now I'm all insecure. LOL

faithVA

I have a LOT of hair, dense would be an appropriate way to describe it. I'm so confused, too! That's why I had to ask! I can see how it would take longer to do them, but that's the same with braids. My real hair tolerates twists well, so I'd think adding extensions wouldn't be that big of a deal, but now I'm all insecure. LOL

I wouldn't feel insecure. What she said just sounds crazy like she made it up. Cross her off your list for hair advice.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Usually those with thicker coarse hair are recommended to get kinky twists, hence the word, "kinky".

Sengalese twists are what didnt work out for me because the braids/hair tend to go with those for relaxed or fine haired ladies. My hair showed up quicker with Sengalese twists verus the hair used for kinky twists.

I'm a 4a with a sprinkling of 4b above each ear.

bklynbornNbred

The only time I had issues with twists was when I tried to use wrong hair - I was mid transition and should have used Marley hair.

The last set I had with Marley hair was just fine (& I have thick/dense hair). Its all about balancing the parts with the amount of hair used. We can't get really thin parts - the amount of hair added would make our necks snap.

Your coworker doesn't know what she is talking about.