Ladies who rarely comb--Spill the beans!!!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I tried the low mani thing once and it was a HAM. My hair looked bad and when I finally combed, I had so many knots and tangles and lost a lot of hair :ohwell:

How do you go without combing your hair for days/weeks? Give me details, your step-by-step regimen because my hair is really fragile now and I need low mani in my life! Spill the beans!

soulie

Nearly daily co-washing (with Wen) keeps me ahead of the tangles, and I fingercomb my hair when it's wet to get it to go in the direction of my bun. I will use my Jilbere shower comb 1-2x/week, and every 3 weeks or so, I'll comb it with the Jilbere, then with progressively smaller combs to remove any shed hair that hasn't left on its own.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Ok, don't give up yet on the low manipulation. Now at 18 weeks post I wash or co-wash every 1 or 2 weeks. I don't comb at all now to tell the truth and I detangle with my fingers.This is how I managed at the beginning with low mani to wash and detangle in a nutshell:

Pre-poo with EVOO overnight and cover with a plastic cap and scarf.
Divide hair into 4 or 6 sections and deal with each section individually
Detangle each section with wide tooth comb to remove shed hair before washing. Braid each section back up before moving on to the next. When all the sections are detangled, proceed to washing with your hair in the braided sections. I never got tangles using this method. growafrohairlong.com has good info on how to wash hair in sections.

To get my NG to lie flat, I moisturise with my usual moisturiser daily. It goes really flat if I co-wash with an ultra moisturising conditioner on wash day. During the week I pay attention to moisturising my edges and nape and I sleep in a satin scarf every night. Sleeping with the scarf causes my NG to remain flat all week since I am not combing it or messing with it in anyway. In the mornings, I moisturise my NG and hair using fingers only. I smooth some moisturiser over my NG. Sometimes I'll use a bit of IC Fantasia gel with S-Curl. That plus the scarf really softens my NG. I'll style my hair in the morning and put the scarf back on for like 20 mins while I finish getting ready. Oh, a dab of castor oil really makes a huge difference to the edges as well.

Hope that helps some! This is what I found works for me. I don't bun anymore either. Wasn't cute enough:lachen:

Last edited:

joib

I prepoo with evoo or amla oil and cowash once or twice a week. Normally the shower does a good job of detangling my hair. Slap on my leave-ins, moisturize, and seal. I am good to go until the next cowash.

trevprit

After finding that I was retaining about 2 inches a year I decided to employ the use of individual plaits on my natural hair to retain length. I don't know if this will help you since you're relaxed, Tiffers, but I will put it out there anyway.

I do not add any extra hair, I use my hair only. Since it seems I can retain almost NO hair, when I let it loose, I take down the first two or three rows around my edges one plait at a time, combing/brushing out the shed hair and any lint, moisturizing and sealing, and replaiting about every other week and fix the rest every 6 weeks. I will only let my hair loose four times a year, for trims.

Sometimes I call this method pseudo-locing, because I style it like its locs.
I cowash everyday, spray with Aphogee K&GT and Haw. Silky 14-n-1 then add a creamy leave-in and style. I clean them, deep condition them, and I am going to try my powder-pastes on them and see how it works.

My sister, who is a BSL natural uses this method to give her hair a rest from her hard presses, and her buns and pinups look beautiful because they resemble micros. She only wears hers randomly, 4 to 6 weeks at a time, but they still help.

I don't know if this regimen is appealing to anyone, but if the concept is helpful in any way, then great.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I fully detangle 2x/wk otherwise I am finger combing. Cowash 5 days a week which means a lot of wet bunning.

joib

After finding that I was retaining about 2 inches a year I decided to employ the use of individual plaits on my natural hair to retain length. I don't know if this will help you since you're relaxed, Tiffers, but I will put it out there anyway.

I do not add any extra hair, I use my hair only. Since it seems I can retain almost NO hair, when I let it loose, I take down the first two or three rows around my edges one plait at a time, combing/brushing out the shed hair and any lint, moisturizing and sealing, and replaiting about every other week and fix the rest every 6 weeks. I will only let my hair loose four times a year, for trims.

Sometimes I call this method pseudo-locing, because I style it like its locs.
I cowash everyday, spray with Aphogee K&GT and Haw. Silky 14-n-1 then add a creamy leave-in and style. I clean them, deep condition them, and I am going to try my powder-pastes on them and see how it works.

My sister, who is a BSL natural uses this method to give her hair a rest from her hard presses, and her buns and pinups look beautiful because they resemble micros. She only wears hers randomly, 4 to 6 weeks at a time, but they still help.

I don't know if this regimen is appealing to anyone, but if the concept is helpful in any way, then great.

I plan on doing this starting Sept. I wear extentions with my hair but this time I decided to braid just my own hair. Thanks for the tip and reminder.

Soliel185

On straightened hair I HAVE to finger comb.

When I wear protective styles though, I basically add my products, detangle once, and put it away. Since it's constrained it can't tangle. and I only have to smooth my edges with a baby brush and some castor oil every once in a while. I can easily go 2-3 wks wearing the same bun. :look:

soulie

When I wear protective styles though, I basically add my products, detangle once, and put it away. Since it's constrained it can't tangle. and I only have to smooth my edges with a baby brush and some castor oil every once in a while. I can easily go 2-3 wks wearing the same bun. :look:

My point exactly! :yep:

redecouvert

I haven't combed my hair in 2 years
All i do is pre-poo and leave it for 30-an hour
gently detangle with my fingers
wash ( i should be washing in sections but i am too lazy)
a good showerhead is your best friend
condition and gently detangle with my fingers
rinse it out
slap some qhemet cocoa tree detangler and all the remaining knots are gone
voila :)

Itllbeokbaby

wash/cond./cowash in four - six braids
unbraid bottom braid, apply leave-in
start at top of that section, and unwind and untangle and separate, all the way to the roots, and back again. this takes awhile, but i am getting faster.
smooth hair between fingers
air dry 90%
do roller set or pony/bun ( i prefer my bun)
remember - if the top/outer layer looks smooth, then the hair will look neat.
i detangle twice a day on dry hair - morning and evening - otherwise it will start to twist upon itself.
hth

Missigirl

I use KiniKakes regimen or a variation of it. I only comb once a week. I prepoo with moisturizing conditioner mixed with molasses and coconut oil (about a table spoon of each) I wash with little elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair diluted with water. Then I deep condition with elasta dpr deep conditioner. Then I set my hair on rollers and sit under the dryer most of the time.

I wear my hair down only on Sundays. On Sunday Night I wet my hair and put on my leave-in conditioner (organics hair mayonnaise from wal-mart with the green top the cheap one). Then I seal with coconut oil and shea butter mix. I soak my hair, I wear my hair in 2 braids I fold them so the ends are tucked under. I can leave my hair like this all week with out combing at all If a few hairs start to stray I re-wet the sides and put the du-rag on the next morning it is laying down again. I sleep in a du-rag and yes I am married this has not been a problem for him. It may not be the most attractive look but I have been able to retain 7 inches of new growth from last year.

MAMATO

Hi Tiffers,

I never comb my hair during the week because I am the Queen of the messy bun, but to be honnest I mostly got inspired by some Traycee's videos and that's what really helps me get through the week without combing my hair at all:

First the night routine: very crucial step, it helps you get through the week without tangles. I dont use her spritz, but my regular shea butter mix. Some times I put some rollers on the ends. (BTW I dont cornrow, I only do 6 braids)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KVA7H1EiM&feature=channel_page

2nd, in the morning, I unbraid and style and here's an exampke of a messy bun I do quite often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GCH7jf77BI&feature=channel_page

Last, I wash once a week. I fingercomb before washing, I do that as well every night before my moisturizer. I pre-poo with condish and oils and wash, DC and then I detangle with my Jilbere in the shower. I apply leave-in, seal and braid them back to airdry. Here is another Traycee's video that may help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joijdYGye6s&feature=channel_page

Traycee's method is very simple and intelligent. I really recommend it for a low manipulation regimen. I've been able to retain all my length since the beginning of my journey last year. I blowdry sometimes if I want a straight look for a day or 2, but by the end of the week I am always back to my braids and my messy bun :yep:

Hope that helps, take care ...

PS:huh:: Traycee, I hope you didn't mind me posting your videos, I probably should have asked for your authorization first :wacky::giggle:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched

I had to recreate the style in your siggy. Came out quite well too:yep:!

FluffyRed

I run my fingers through my SL hair all the time to remove shed hairs, so I dont' get knots.

But otherwise, I never brush and rarely comb (only if I rollerset, or if planning to flat iron). Normally I stick with the braidouts and bunned braidouts (using a hairzing, not a real bun)

LovinLocks

I prepoo with evoo or amla oil and cowash once or twice a week. Normally the shower does a good job of detangling my hair. Slap on my leave-ins, moisturize, and seal. I am good to go until the next cowash.

This looks about "it" for me too. Well, I don't pre-poo (I always forget). I tend to co-wash more than once a week. Maybe 4-7 days a week.

Nayeli

I've been doing low to no combing since late last year I believe. I comb about once a week, but I pay attention to the condition of my hair too. ie. if I can tell that the tangles are piling up, or pieces are clumping together, I give in and comb after a few days.

Another key for me is taking my fingers and separating pieces, to further ensure that there are as few tangles as possible. I do this after finger combing.