Ladies who wear their Hair Down... Questions!

Moonxyz

What is your current lenght?

What is your hair type?

How often do you wear your hair down?

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down?

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:?

Im not enjoying my hair :nono:

I want to wear it down more often :wallbash: Please give me hope :sad:

dream13

See comments in red

What is your current lenght? a little past APL

What is your hair type? 4a

How often do you wear your hair down? At least 4 days a week. I wear a loose pony the rest of the time.

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? :yep: I also stretch 12 weeks...so I always see progress with touch-ups.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Um...yeah!

chebaby

What is your current lenght? apl, trying to get to bsl by the end of this summer

What is your hair type? i have no idea but i am transitioning

How often do you wear your hair down? before this week everyday

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? yes, but i only started my healthy hair care about 4 months ago

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? i did before this 100 degree heat hit. now its too hot to wear my hair down. i will be wet bunning for the rest of the summer with no direct heat. we will see how much i retain

Son26

What is your current lenght? I'm apl in the front, and shoulder length in the back (it's 2 inches shorter than the front)

What is your hair type? I think it's 4a (my new growth is tight corkscrew curls).

How often do you wear your hair down? About 5 - 7 days a week

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? Yes. If my stylist doesn't give me a "trim", I do see growth after every relaxer.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Yes.

Mook's hair

I am commenting based on my relaxed hair prior to starting this transition.

What is your hair type?
4a/B

How often do you wear your hair down? I most frequently wore my hair down in loose spiral curls that I did with my narrow flat iron. I wore this style most of the year.

Yes.

No not overrated but I don't think they are the only way to retain length.
I think they are a valuable and worthy option.

I religiously washed DC'd and flat ironed my hair once a week.

Here's the key. When I'd go out.. I would wear it down. But whenever I was in the house I always put mu hair up and put my scarf on.

I also thing the protective styles are more important in the winter to protect the ends from sweaters, coats & scarves.

prospurr4

What is your current lenght? 1" away from MBL

What is your hair type? 4b, texlaxed

How often do you wear your hair down? Quite often, but mostly in curly styles that won't rub my clothing significantly.

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? Yes.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Not at all, but I don't feel the need to wear them constantly in order to retain length. As long as I keep my hair moisturized and practice reasonable care, my hair does very well. I mean, if I can't enjoy my hair from time to time, then what's the point in growing it out??

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
My answers are below.

I'm natural, currently somewhere around WL and TB length when pressed. The front is a little shorter than that.

What is your hair type?
Type 3-4. I think mostly 4A.

How often do you wear your hair down?
I wear it down a litte more often lately. I'd say about 2 weeks per month.

I retain a good amount of length when my hair is simply left alone after it has been initially styled at the salon. I also retain the most length when its kept clean because dirty hair for me = breakage. In between visits, I rarely use a gang of products becasue I think oversaturation with a bunch of products does not allow your hair to breathe properly. And I dont overdo it on the burshing and combing. Once in the morning and once at night and that's it.

While I dont believe they are overrated, I do believe that they can be used too much. For example - if you wear an bun every day, there will eventually be breakage in the area of where the base of the bun is twisted. Its all relative.

You should enjoy the fact that you have the hair to have a solid starting point. At least you have something to work with :yep:

Aww...you have to just stay encouraged and dont micro-manage your hair like you're waiting for paint to dry. When I was frustrated because I felt like I was stuck at MBL, the crown & glory method really helped me get over that hump. Maybe you should try that. Best wishes.

NYAmicas

Seeker
BSL
What is your hair type? 4ZZZZ

How often do you wear your hair down? About 85% of the time or I'll do bantu knots/twists for the curly look.

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? I'd say so. It's detangling it that causes me to lose hair and some manipulation gone wrong.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Not really, I see their purpose and it works for people. Constant mantra=Do what works for you.

lol, I hope my responses were helpful then

Moonxyz

thank you ladies :grin:

Im thinking about doing baid outs for the rest of the summer with the occasional rollerset.

Im tired of buns and my edges have been suffereing :nono:

Sarahdais

What is your current lenght? BSL

What is your hair type? 4b

How often do you wear your hair down? 3-4 days out the week

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? yes

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? No not if it works for you

elained313

I have a question to add for the ladies who don't do protective styles that much. how to you retain moisture when your hair is down. Now I'm using S Curl but put in Right up in a bun, it's kind of wet but doesn't matter cause it goes right up. What do you use when your hair is down?

NYAmicas

Seeker
I have a question to add for the ladies who don't do protective styles that much. how to you retain moisture when your hair is down. Now I'm using S Curl but put in Right up in a bun, it's kind of wet but doesn't matter cause it goes right up. What do you use when your hair is down?

I just seal my ends. After I take my hair down in the morning whether I pin-curled it or wrapped it up, I put S-curl on the ends and seal with some oil or some conditioner that wont frizz my hair up and seal with oil.

FAMUDva

What is your current lenght? APL at last check

What is your hair type?
I don't know for sure because I hate hair typing... I'd guess a 4a.

How often do you wear your hair down? Most of the time before last month (got braids). I wear my hair how I want not particularly for protection.

Do you retain a good amount of length when your hair is down?
Before I started transitioning 6 months ago, I'd stretch 10-12 weeks and always had progress.

Kinda. I used protective styles when I first came to LHCF, but found it boring and uninspiring. After a short stint of PS, I now choose to wear my hair down whenever I feel like it.

FAMUDva

I seal my ends with jojoba oil.

Tarae

What is your hair type? 4Bish

How often do you wear your hair down? Prior to late March, I'd wear my hair down almost daily

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? Yea, good enough

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Not at all. I'll be doing protective styles this summer to retain even more length and to get through the heat

HTH :yawn:

Mars_Reiko

What is your current lenght? About an inch from BSL

What is your hair type? 4a

How often do you wear your hair down? Before it got so hot, all the time :)

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? Yes. I make

sure to moisturize my hair especially the ends every 2-3 days.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? A little. I used protective styles exclusively, when I first found the board. But honestly, I still retained length rather if I was bunnin' or wearing it out

Extremus

What is your current lenght? Gracing BSL :rolleyes:

What is your hair type? 3c/4a, mostly 4a

How often do you wear your hair down? almost everyday whether it be it roller-sets, bantu knots, braid/twist outs, flat-ironed bone straight. I put it in a ponytail maybe 3x a month (which still can grab on to my clothes :ohwell:). Never wear buns.

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? I would say so. I got this far (SL to [gracing] BSL in 10 months :grin:)

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Not really. Like some else said I see their purpose.

Mars_Reiko

I use NTM leave-in every couple days or so. I like that it's light and doesn't weigh the hair down. I usually put it in at night before I wrap or pin curl.

MiWay

What is your hair type? 3b/4a/4b'ish :ohwell:

How often do you wear your hair down? Unless I'm having a bad hair day, I wear it down almost every day.

Do you retain a good amount of lenght when your hair is down? I didn't notice a difference in how much I retain whether it's up or down.

Do you think that protective stles are overrated :look:? Not necessarily...they definitely helped me get over the SL hump.

Girl, wear that hair down! Enjoy it! What's the point of growing it if you can't enjoy it? Just make sure you pay attention to what your hair needs and keep a close eye on your ends.