Ladies with almost waist length or longer hair!

stacy

My daughter got her hair texturized today and after she got it blow dried and flat ironed, it was almost waist length (she is about 5 feet 1 inch tall and her length was about 9 inches on my hair progress t-shirt). Anyway, how do you guys style your hair? If you ever wrap your hair, how do you wrap it? I figure I'll let her wear it down for a couple of days and do something else; but I do not want my teenager (14) wearing styles that are too "mature." I'd like her to retain some "girlishness" to her style. Thanks.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Tell her Congrats!! Some styles are a pony tail in a bun or you can take the bun down and it will have a body wave to it, french braids, flat twist, cornrows w/cute barret clips to go on the ends all can be done halfway w/the back out or all the way down to the hairline w/the ends out, I also think braidouts/twistouts look cute on young ladies as well as us older ones. Oh yeah, and makeing one or two buns is an alternate to wrapping the hair the let it down in the morning. HTH's

loonatick

stacy said:
My daughter got her hair texturized today and after she got it blow dried and flat ironed, it was almost waist length (she is about 5 feet 1 inch tall and her length was about 9 inches on my hair progress t-shirt). Anyway, how do you guys style your hair? If you ever wrap your hair, how do you wrap it? I figure I'll let her wear it down for a couple of days and do something else; but I do not want my teenager (14) wearing styles that are too "mature." I'd like her to retain some "girlishness" to her style. Thanks.

Hi Stacy :wave: Do you have pictures of your daughters hair length before? you say it was 9 inches on the t shirt after, just wondering how much shrinkage there was. Also what did you use to texturize her hair? Relaxer or texturizer kit?

By the way, i think individual braids or twists would look very good on waist length hair :)

SherryLove

i basically wear my hair in a cute bun or ponytail... i keep it simple because it cuts down on my manipulating my hair too much....

I hope the other ladies chime in soon..

take care.

lala

I often wear a ponytail which would be appropriate for a 14 yr. old girl. I usually wear my hair in a bun (like SherryLove said) b/c it's quick and easy.

Isis

Good thread topic! I'm sure those of us who are not waist length yet are taking notes (even if we're not 14!)! :yep:
Congratulations to your daughter. :)

Caramela

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Tell her Congrats!! Some styles are a pony tail in a bun or you can take the bun down and it will have a body wave to it, french braids, flat twist, cornrows w/cute barret clips to go on the ends all can be done halfway w/the back out or all the way down to the hairline w/the ends out, I also think braidouts/twistouts look cute on young ladies as well as us older ones. Oh yeah, and makeing one or two buns is an alternate to wrapping the hair the let it down in the morning. HTH's
ITA!!! I think it's great that she's so young with healthy long hair! If only I'd known then what I know now :nono: Does she have a regimen?

Jewell

Well now I'm really almost waist length after a fresh touch-up today. I really like the bun...sorry to sound monotonous but its been working for me. It keeps me from developing HIH disease at work everyday. If its up I don't usually mess in it so much. But, I do like to wear it down every now and then. Braidouts and nice ponytails would accentuate her hair.

tthreat08

My 7 year old has waistlength hair. Although you have a teenager and she would probably not be caught in some of the styles I put on my little baby, but here is some of what I do for her:

Generally she wears pony tails with the ends twisted.
After a couple of days with this style, I put her hair in a loose pony tail (so it's essentailly a twist out). Sometimes I leave some hair out in the back so it's half up half down twist out. I put ribbons in her hair (I think this is cute on teenage girls too). She has also worn a really nice full bun (her hair is REALLY REALLY THICK...she didn't get that from me). Also parted down the middle with two buns is cute.

Good luck!

stacy

loonatick said:
Hi Stacy :wave: Do you have pictures of your daughters hair length before? you say it was 9 inches on the t shirt after, just wondering how much shrinkage there was. Also what did you use to texturize her hair? Relaxer or texturizer kit?

By the way, i think individual braids or twists would look very good on waist length hair :)

I do not know if I have recent pics of her hair right before the texturizer. However, when her hair was in two-strand twists, the twists touched her shoulders. She had a whole lotta shrinkage (maybe 75%). My hairdresser texturized with Affirm relaxer.

stacy

Caramela said:
ITA!!! I think it's great that she's so young with healthy long hair! If only I'd known then what I know now :nono: Does she have a regimen?

Caramela, I really did not do anything special with my daughter's hair. I would wash her natural hair every two to three weeks (I did not even condition afterwards). I'd braid, twist, or do little ponytails all around (when she was really little). I applied some sort of hair grease to her scalp and a pomade or cream to her hair to soften it before combing (not even consistent as to a certain brand). Her hair just seemed to thrive.

stacy

Thanks, ladies. After wearing her hair down for one week, her ends started to appear rough. I washed her hair yesterday with Elucence MB, conditioned under the dryer with a mix of Humecto and Porosity Control, applied a mix of Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir & Kercare Lite Oil Moisturizer to blow dry and flat iron, applied Sulphur 8 to scalp and brushed the hair into a.........BUN! I really want to protect her ends, so I did the ever popular bun. Do you guys use that foam bun thingie? I used this and I don't think I like it for her hair length because there seems to be so much hair left out after making the bun (I kinda twist the hair around the bun and put a scrunchie over the bun). How do you make your bun?

renee_n_3000

stacy said:
Do you guys use that foam bun thingie? I used this and I don't think I like it for her hair length because there seems to be so much hair left out after making the bun (I kinda twist the hair around the bun and put a scrunchie over the bun). How do you make your bun?

I have never used a foam form but imagine that they can be damaging to the hair if not covered with a satiny fabric first. Also, as you said, I've always envisioned that they are better for shorter hair because the ends of long would stick out and require more manipulation to hide them.

For a 'doughnut' bun, I hold my hair at the base of my neck as if I'm about to make a ponytail, then twist the hair around in a circular motion and tuck the ends into the under part of the bun. It requires no pins to or accessories to hold it, but hairsticks and other ornaments are nice for decoration. I either twist the hair firmly as I'm forming the bun or hold it loosely to create different effects.

Here are some ideas for other styles for your daughter to wear. I think these are nice for a fourteen-year-old (and ladies of other ages). They are all easy and most take about 2 - 10 minutes to do, yet people may comment that they think she spent much more time doing her hair:

One regular braid or one French braid (These can also be twisted into buns, or folded upward or under and pinned)

One 'banded' ponytail with four or more ponytail holders placed evenly down the length of the tail. (Holders cut from the legs of black pantyhose are very gentle and great for this)

Two regular braids or two French braids (w/ hair parted down the center)

Two regular braids or loose ponytails (w/ hair parted 'horizontally'). With two braids, she can also braid the top one first and merge it with the lower one.

Two buns (w/ hair either parted down the center, horizontally, or diagonally)

French twist (can be held with a few gentle, large, 'U' shaped hair pins, or a variety of accessories such as one large gentle jaw clip, one or a hair stick, etc.)

A variety of half up/half down styles. The top part can be a bun, French twist, or pinned up in some other tasteful, freeform way. The bottom can be worn straight or curly.

Hair roller-set with steam rollers (or wet set under a dryer) and worn down or pinned up in various casual ways.

A Bantu knot set done on dry or nearly dry hair, with about 8 - 10 knots set overnight. This produces a sort of bouncy, spiral-curl effect, but without it having a 'little girl' look to it. Can be finger combed and worn down or pinned up in various ways. (Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk is a great setting lotion to use for this. A little goes a long way.)

That's all I can think of right now but I'll be back with more if something else occurs to me. I think it's wonderful that you continue to take an interest in your daughter's hair care and that she seems to welcome your input! :)

Last edited: