ladies with dyed hair...

DeniceDoes

Any ladies with dyed hair out there retaining length??

I have highly porous, dense hair, that is quite coarse.

I have been natural for a few years now and I am thinking about dying my hair for a change in style, but I REALLY want to grow my hair long too and am worried that if I do dye my hair I will suffer from a lot of breakage, as my hair has a tendency to be dry.

I am interesting in hearing from anyone out there who dyes or has dyed their hair in the past, especially if you are still retaining length and seeing it grow

- are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning/texturised/other?
- what colour have you dyed your hair
- how long have you been dying it for
- do you use semi-permanent or permanent dye
-have you noticed any benefits or damage to your hair
- do you regret it
- any tips/advice/words of wisdom or anything else I should know??
-are you retaining length? if so what is your secret

I have been lurking these hair boards for a while, but this dilemma got me paying my subscription!!

manter26

You could probably go with a semi-permanent color/rinse like Beautiful Collection. It will help with porosity and close the cuticle some. I've used it in the past with no issues. I'm not currently colored but I'm a high-porosity natural.

I think if you concentrate on having a low heat, low manipulation regime, combined with coloring only new growth and using rinses for refreshening your color, there's no reason why your hair shouldn't flourish. Now THAT was a run-on sentence :)

pink gator

Welcome to LHCF!

I've had my hair permanently colored for years.

I'm relaxed. I always make sure I maintain a proper moisture/protein balance.

I wear Clairol Textures & Tones Cherrywood. I sometimes use a clear demi-permanent color as a protectant (like nail polish), but since I got a Redken Chemistry Shot last month, I have so much protein now that I can't do it.

There is a color bootcamp thread that I used to have but I somehow lost the link when I updated my computer last month. :perplexed

DeniceDoes

Thanks a lot for the responses! You have definately put my mind at ease. I think I'm going to start with a demi-permanent to find the colour I like and then go from there :D

Last edited:

candy626

I am currently texlaxed and have dyed with my hair with permanent color and highlighted it in the past. I recently colored it with Loreal HiColor Red (though it didn't take).

I have never had issues with hair color causing my hair to break off. I am low porosity though so my hair seems to handle chemical processing differently then most.

I will say some hair colors can dry you out, so you want to make sure you use a conditioning creme based hair color and a low volume develeper, followed by a deep conditioner.

Or like someone else mentioned start with semi or demi permanent hair color. Those are usually harmless :yep: