Lady:"Well you like have to cut your hair to CBL" Me: "HELL NO!"

trendsetta25

this is how one conversation went yesterday....

let me start with the beginning. Everyone on my job knows me as the hair guru. They even know my life long dream to be a hair model!:lol:
One co-worker (male btw) told me that the Matrix Salon down the block has a few signs up advertising "Relaxed Hair Model Needed" and told me to check it out. I forgot the first time he told me so the next day he came over to my desk and i told him that i completely forgot. He got so mad and wrote "GO TO MATRIX!" on a post it and stuck it on my computer screen.

The next day during lunch i walked into the salon and ask about the sign. She first asked me how long my hair was and i held my head high as i boasted "between my armpit and brastrap" She then went to explain that Mizani is looking for hair models to test their new relaxer system and that my hair needs to be shorter....like CBL. She said my hair is too long and that "i will have to cut it..." before she could proceed to finish her sentence i yelled with the ill attitude "HELL NO! DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK MY HAIR TO GET TO THIS LENGTH" then in my head i said "did this b***h just ask a BLACK woman to cut her hair? b***h must be out her damn mind!"

She could sense the Brooklyn Black Girl tude come out and said "well if your planning on cutting your hair for the summer time stop by"

She's so lucky i didn't have my hair out that day cuz i would have gave her the mean flip as i walked out the salon.

Would any of you ladies cut your hair for your dream job? am i bugging for refusing to cut my hair?:ohwell:

i mean i want to be a hair model one day (when i say hair model i mean i want to be that girl on the relaxer box, color box, hair commercials or print ads)

theLovelyStyle

I think these relaxed hair models have to have a length that most of their consumers can relate to.

..But then again...wouldn't a long hair model make consumers think they can have hair like the models if they use the product.

...Or maybe they want all the hair to fit on the side of the box.

...IDK?

bellebebe

I think these relaxed hair models have to have a length that most of their consumers can relate to.

..But then again...wouldn't a long hair model make consumers think they can have hair like the models if they use the product.

...IDK?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

darlingdiva

...IDK?

That's sad, though, because it perpetuates the long-standing myth that relaxed hair can only get to or around CBL.

If anything, I'd think they'd be begging you to be a hair model to show that women can have healthy relaxed hair that goes past their necks and shoulders.

trendsetta25

...IDK?

i took a look at their ads and they have various hair lengths. I want to be one of them:sad:

lovegymnasts

it was hard to get past this point:
"new relaxer system"

Even if I was still relaxed, I would not let anyone try a new relaxer system on me.
No, way!
:nono:

I could just imagine being the guinea pig and all my hair falling out.

On cutting the hair, I would think the goal is to reach the largest amount of people possible. Therefore, you would want all different kinds of models with all different lengths and kinds of hair.

I saw a show that said this is/was the philosophy of the Cowboy Cheerleaders. There is a type of girl for every guy. It was one of the reasons they became an "institution".

RegaLady

Well the good thing to know is that it wasn't personal and that Mizani is looking for a certain hair length. CBL is a nice looking hair length on many people and it flatters most faces plus as been mentioned before it is a length that many black women can relate to.

But in modeling, isn't it no secret that models have to be versitile-one day you are cutting your hair next day you are wearing knee length extensions and dying your hair platinum blonde?

leiah

Hair models at salons are really only for the stylists to practice on or to try out a new product. They probably specify short hair because of the amount of product they have, or what they want the stylists to achieve, or it's just easier for them to judge the results on short hair. Who knows. You probably won't have your picture taken, they just do your hair and show the results to whoever's in charge, and you leave.
I used to go to places like bumble & bumble and aveda when they wanted models. You get your hair done for free but you really don't have much say in what happens to it.

The models in ads and on packaging are booked through agencies. They are regular fashion or commercial models who happen to have great hair. I know a girl who used to model for pantene she has the most amazing hair ever

Zaz

I think the type of hair modelling being advertised is not the type you want OP. I had a friend who used to do it and it's just a fancy way of saying guinea pig really, one of the first requirements was you need to not be opposed to have your hair cut, dyed, relaxed... It's kinda like Shear genius minus the tv crew, all those people that the wannabe stylists work on are "hair models".

The model on the relaxer box/hair colour box is usually a regular model/actress in a wig, think Keysha Cole for whatever relaxer she's fronting, Beyonce and Eva Longoria for L'oreal...

qchelle

You want to be a hair model....but you don't want them to cut your hair? I thought that just came with the territory of being a hair model (along with the stylists manipulating your hair in other ways too)? Maybe I'm wrong though....

TheGrimPhreaker

Sidenote: there are alot of advertising on boxes for great hair but I have quite a few friends that model for relaxer/coloring boxes and alot of them have on wigs. I'm not sure if its because they want a certain hair length or what, but this is what I was told....

theLovelyStyle

That's sad, though, because it perpetuates the long-standing myth that relaxed hair can only get to or around CBL.

If anything, I'd think they'd be begging you to be a hair model to show that women can have healthy relaxed hair that goes past their necks and shoulders.

Its very sad.

JJamiah

I am one of those stylist who use to go out and get hair models and yes they were my Testers ( I wouldn't call them Guinea Pigs) For my cuts. They knew the risk and there was always a senior stylist there to aid me.

:)
The women I had picked got to choose their hair styles and if they needed a relaxer that came with it too. :) I was so happy to just have them ready and willing :)

fiyahwerks

I was wondering do you model for local salons and hair events in your community? I noticed at the hair shows, the vendors/salons/companies are always looking for hair models. Business cards and a portfolio helps greatly. But many companies believe if they pump their product/expenses into you, your basically are their guinea pig.

Here in Detroit, they even have talent agencies just for hair modeling. Plus right now, short hair is the trend again. I'm flipping through a hair industry book now and that's all I see is the sassy and short cuts.

JJamiah

I was a hair model and hair stylist in the same BOOKs :giggle:

If you have a stylist you visit every week. Just let them know next time you do a show, I want in. I have a few porfolios from centries ago from shows I did and I did get to keep my comp cards.

Advertise yourself to people at the major hair shows too. I had ladies from Dudleys asking to do my hair. :)

Don't sell yourself short or let them cut you short if that is not your intent.

Lucia

Hair models at salons are really only for the stylists to practice on or to try out a new product. They probably specify short hair because of the amount of product they have, or what they want the stylists to achieve, or it's just easier for them to judge the results on short hair. Who knows. You probably won't have your picture taken, they just do your hair and show the results to whoever's in charge, and you leave.
I used to go to places like bumble & bumble and aveda when they wanted models. You get your hair done for free but you really don't have much say in what happens to it.

The models in ads and on packaging are booked through agencies. They are regular fashion or commercial models who happen to have great hair. I know a girl who used to model for pantene she has the most amazing hair ever

Yes thanks for postingthos threes a diff between a hair model for shows where they do anything and everything to your hair and a model who gets a hair ad or contract. They usually choose a model with a look they want and if she has
healthy or long hair then it's a plus most times like a poster said it's a wig sometimes they choose based on healthy hair which means shes under contract with her hair as is they can make it look relaxed by flat ironing but if she's a natural model they can't permanently alter her hair in any way that means length texture color etc. If the OP wants to be on a box she has to go to a modeling agency or casting agent to get commercial ads not those hair shows or salon shows or trials where your a test subject and they'll just chop your hair off.
I doubt Mizani would turn away a APL and beyond relaxed model that would be like saying no to a golden goose they would advertise her hair as if their products grew I that long.
If you noticed all the hair ads of Mizani they hair healthy looking hair of all lengths and some curly too so I hink just go through the proper channels so as not to end up a victim of a SHS

Last edited:

trendsetta25

Yes thanks for postingthos threes a diff between a hair model for shows where they do anything and everything to your hair and a model who gets a hair ad or contract. They usually choose a model with a look they want and if she has
healthy or long hair then it's a plus most times like a poster said it's a wig sometimes they choose based on healthy hair which means shes under contract with her hair as is they can make it look relaxed by flat ironing but if she's a natural model they can't permanently alter her hair in any way that means length texture color etc. If the OP wants to be on a box she has to go to a modeling agency or casting agent to get commercial ads not those hair shows or salon shows or trials where your a test subject and they'll just chop your hair off.
I doubt Mizani would turn away a APL and beyond relaxed model that would be like saying no to a golden goose they would advertise her hair as if their products grew I that long.
If you noticed all the hair ads of Mizani they hair healthy looking hair of all lengths and some curly too so I hink just go through the proper channels so as not to end up a victim of a SHS

Omg you ladies are the best!!!! You guys gave me a lot to think about!
1. No I'm not willing to be a guinea pig
2. Yes I want to be a professional hair model. So...I will wait till I reach my goal of Healthy WL, then look for an agent. :grin:

being a hair model is a dream of mine....BUT if that means I will have to cut my hair...I'll keep dreaming :lachen:

Last edited:

Lucia

Omg you ladies are the best!!!! You guys gave me a lot to think about!
1. No I'm not willing to be a guinea pig
2. Yes I want to be a professional hair model. So...I will wait till I reach my goal of Healthy WL, then look for an agent. :grin:

being a hair model is a dream of mine....BUT if that means I will have to cut my hair...I'll keep dreaming :lachen:

Yes you should decide what's best for you btw if you do end up getting an agent make sure your contract clearly states that no permanent alterations of your hair length texture color hairlineand no trims no cuts is allowed make sure it's detailed and everything is listed spelled out. That's your contract with your agent so they don't accept certain assignment on your behalf and for each ad spokesmodel brand name contract which are other contracts between you and the companies.
If you read up on entertainment contracts that will help you tons. It's like a no nudity clause for models and actors. Most agents can accept jobs on your behalf that's elegy your contract with them must be well detailed and spelled out.

Last edited:

silenttullip

I love my hair BUT for my dream career... I'd be bald as Montel Williams if I was SURE I would get the job and it would be the way I wanted.

Lucia

I love my hair BUT for my dream career... I'd be bald as Montel Williams if I was SURE I would get the job and it would be the way I wanted.

Lol
That's the thing you can't go bald for a job just to auditions for they may not pick you bc you look too eager and pick someone else. If they like you as is then they make it known at the auditions that this will require shaving your head bald then You decide to go on the audition and or take or refuse the job.
It's not like how Tyra does it and you get to the set and they spring nudity and hair chopping on you out of nowhere the real modeling world is not like that they tell you up frontand most times they don't send you out if they already know it's against your contract clause.
Even if it's not stated you can refuse the job bit if your agent accepts then your In trouble that's why 1 contract detailed w agent or manager and other contracts w each client.

Last edited:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
She specifically wants be a LOOONG haired model. I think there should be a market now for that. OP can always get a short wig if they need her short. Good luck OP !!

HairRaiser

I agree that they probably want a length that's more marketable, but I was also thinking since they're trying to put you on a box of relaxer your hair should be about CBL at the most because

#1- It will look like the model actually has "long" (by normal standards) healthy hair and not a weave or something on

#2- It would probably look weird/be harder to get your face and nearly BSL hair on those small boxes while keeping the focus on your hair and not other parts of you like your body

But good luck OP! Your hair is maybe too long and gorgeous for a relaxer box right now, but that only means you're gonna have to move up to full page advertising to get all that beautiful hair in there! :yep:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm still trying to figure out why you were mad.
You could have just said no thank you and hit it on down the road. She was giving you information, not forcing you into her chair at knifepoint.
Why you had to yell at her for? :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

dachsies_rule!

it was hard to get past this point:
"new relaxer system"

Even if I was still relaxed, I would not let anyone try a new relaxer system on me.
No, way!
:nono:

I could just imagine being the guinea pig and all my hair falling out.

On cutting the hair, I would think the goal is to reach the largest amount of people possible. Therefore, you would want all different kinds of models with all different lengths and kinds of hair.

I saw a show that said this is/was the philosophy of the Cowboy Cheerleaders. There is a type of girl for every guy. It was one of the reasons they became an "institution".

Yeah, i had a flashback to the Rio relaxer system! :nono:

trendsetta25

I'm still trying to figure out why you were mad.
You could have just said no thank you and hit it on down the road. She was giving you information, not forcing you into her chair at knifepoint.
Why you had to yell at her for? :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I didn't really yell...the hell no was a shocked outburst :lachen:
Now in my head....that was a different story. But as you said....it wasn't forced upon me so I left the salon...a bit discouraged (feeling as if I passed up a good opportunity) :ohwell: