Lady:"Well you like have to cut your hair to CBL" Me: "HELL NO!"

Iluvsmuhgrass

I would have asked her if there was a way around cutting my grass just to see what she would have said. I don't blame you on being reluctant, but with this economy??? If it opens the doors to bigger and better things... go to your destiny. (Do it through the right channels though. She might have been telling you the truth and not being snotty at all.) At the end of the day you have to decide if it's worth it to you. It's not like you DON'T know how to grow hair! GO GIT IT! I would soooo love to see one of our LHCF sisters representing. :yep:

Slightly OT: I know all of the hair models out there don't all use the product they're modeling for. :look: Soooooo do you REALLY have to be a guinea pig? :look:

MangaManiac

No offense to anyone, but I think the OP overacted. When you do any sort of modeling you are expected to do any number of things and it is a requirement that you are to be versatile. To come across anyone (not just white) with the attitude that it's wrong to ask a black woman to cut her hair seems a little bit much to me. Why can't black women cut their hair? Why can't we have long hair one day and short hair the next? Sure it takes time for it to grow (but not for all), but do we want to perpetuate the image that we're obsessed with our hair and length is the only thing we find ideal or attractive? Certainly not. I think it all ends up perpetuating more stereotypes and leads other races to critique us further.

Also, a company is allowed to have certain criteria when scouting. You don't HAVE to apply. Plus, not every black woman wants long hair and when they're looking to see the results of a product or a stylist's ability they're going to want to look at examples of people that have the kind of short hair they want. Jumping to conclusions and getting angry about a person merely following standard procedure isn't wise. That kind of reaction is what leaves other cultures with a negative image of us and then they overgeneralize.

I can understand the strong feeling of not wanting to cut one's hair (I would cry if someone cut mine), but I wouldn't get angry at someone for asking if I'd cut it for a job. I can just say no. You have to save the attitude for when some one is giving it to you and/or when they really need it!