Lather rinse and repeat?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
:perplexedPerhaps a weird question but with conditioners having some cleansing agents do you shampoo, rinse out the shampoo and repeat? Or do you just shampoo once then go to the conditioner?

I haven't used a shampoo that called for repeating since I was 8 years old but I would only repeat if absolutely necessary which it usually isn't. No one's hair should be that dirty/greasy.

I shampoo twice usually. Then, I go on to my conditioning agent of choice.

Last edited:
i think it depends on your scalp and hair. my hair is dry but my scalp is oily so I shampoo twice. i use a pre-poo before and each time i concentrate the shampoo on my scalp. i also coat my ends in conditioner after the first shampoo. when i'm done with shampoo i use roux pc and proceed to dc.

I repeat. I do a prepoo with evoo and VO5 condi, on TOP of the product that is already on my hair/scalp from styling.
It's necessary for me to repeat.:yep:

For me, it really depends on how my scalp feels; if it feels like it needs an extra rinse with shampoo, i go for it. That's very rare though now that I use the hair detoxifier by Aveda (works like a charm - other shampoos left me wanting more).

That's a good point - I pre poo over night with oils then use Burt's Bees Avocado pre poo before I wash so to repeat is probably a good idea for me.

Thanks ladies!

It depends. If my hair doesn't feel too dirty/oily then I shampoo once and follow up with a conditioner wash before DCing. If my hair is dirty then shampoo twice and then DC.

I shampoo once, I try to make up for the missed 2nd lather by running my hair under warm water and massaging it for about 5-10min before and after I do my lather :yep:

i usually shampoo once, but if my hair is greasy or dirty after wearing a paticular hair style for a while like braids with extention, then i'll wash twice and always follow with a DC.

That's a good point - I pre poo over night with oils then use Burt's Bees Avocado pre poo before I wash so to repeat is probably a good idea for me.

Thanks ladies!
Where do you buy Burt's Bees Avocado. I've checked everywhere I can think of, but still can't locate.

Wash with a rinse out conditioner first, then shampoo once, last DC. Works for me.
Why a rinse out first. I like the concept but just curious why,

twice. i never get out all of my butters, creams or what have you on the first wash.

now unless ive used something lighter, then once is fine.

divachyk - I bought it online at well.ca (a canadian site but they do ship to the US). Days later I found it at a health/organic store around the corner from work!

I pre-poo with a protein/moisture mix, then apply shampoo once with an applicator bottle. I use Hair One as a deep con, so it acts as a secord wash.

Back