Lather, Rinse, Repeat???

JenJen2721

Do you ladies lather once or twice? Just curious. Also, when you do conditioner washes, should you "condition, rinse, repeat?"

When I shampoo, I always repeat, but wonder if I'm drying my hair by doing this.

When I do conditioner only washes, I only "wash" once and I'm wondering if this is why my scalp doesn't get really clean.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
TIA,
Jen

ms_kenesha

I repeat out of habit, but I've been questioning my "repeat reflex" lately.

Country gal

When I shampoo I lather and rinse at least twice. Last night I lathered and shampooed three times becuase I had some buildup. I plan on doing a conditioner wash and I will probadly repeat it twice.

Ennyaa

I do both twice... I think. It's such a habit that I don't even think about it. But I ESPECIALLY do it for my conditioner washes because I feel like I need the extra lather and rinse to replace the fact that I'm not using shampoo.
Yeah, I guess that's kinda silly.

NAY007

Hey JenJen,

the conditioner washes in my opinion are not to cleanse your scalp but to keep your hair wonderfully moisturized. If you really like the conditioner washes but you do want to have a clean scalp I would advise that you clarify every now and then or just use a regular shampoo whenever you have the need to cleanse your scalp. Otherwise I would continue with the cw routine if that's what works for you.
It didn't work for me, I wash my hair twice a week and it really depends on how much oil I have in my hair. For example yesterday I drenched my dry hair in olive oil and combed it in a bun, then went to sleep, when I woke up today I went to the gym and then afterwards I shampood twice to get the oil out.
I think it really depends on what you like, however you don't have to put conditioner in your hair twice like you would with shampoo. Once is fine.

sweetcocoa

I used to lather twice out of habit...but I have learned to stop with one....except after I do a hot oil treatment. I think because I shampoo at least twice a week I don't need to. If I was shampooing less, then I'd probably repeat.

I used to religiously lather twice but now I do it when I feel like it. If I get a nice rich lather in the first attempt, I wait for approx 1 min and then rinse without a second time.

With Lanza clarifying shampoo (Deep Cleansing), one wash is always enough.

JenJen2721

Thanks for all the replies. I guess there's not one "right" way to do it. Just kind of depends on the person. I think I will trying "lathering" twice when I do conditioner washes to see if my scalp gets any cleaner, because I love the way they make my hair feel.

Paris Belle

I do it three times

I only wash my hair once a week and I like using my two different shampoos. The first wash I hardly get any lather and then the last two it's to get the scalp clean. The third wash is with my Aphogee Evening Primrose shampoo which is soohhh moisturizing. The first two washes are with Aphogee's Shampoo with Damaged Hair. I also use a lot of product during the week. I've never questioned this either and my mom says she only washes once..

Julia

Since joining the board, I have changed my regime to include just one shampoo and rinse. I assume that this is sufficient to clean my hair and scalp because I wash my hair weekly - so it is not all that dirty. However, when I use any type of clarifying shampoo, I will shampoo twice. Once with the clarifying shampoo and then with the moisturizing shampoo.

Sometimes if my hair is really dirty or greasy, I will shampoo more than once to ensure that it gets all nice and clean.

Sometimes I use more than one conditioner, depending on what I feel my hair needs.

Jenai

Since I have been washing every three days or so, I don't lather and repeat. Heck, I don't use shampoo most of the time - I conditioner wash instead.

EmeraldSky

It depends on how my hair feels after the first lather, I can tell if theres a lot of buildup because my hair won't lather properly, but if it lathers well and feels clean then I don't lather again. I used to lather twice, but I stopped to help maintain moisture.

LondonDiva

I usually use 2 shampoos on every wash. I'm so greedy
but I shampoo twice with each one. That's 4 per wash about 2-3 times a week. They are usually with moisturising shampoos so I don't encounter any drying effects.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
I usually use 2 shampoos on every wash. I'm so greedy
but I shampoo twice with each one. That's 4 per wash about 2-3 times a week. They are usually with moisturising shampoos so I don't encounter any drying effects.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've just gotta ask. Girl, how many shampoos do you have. Yes, ALL of them.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
Um let me see..... 9

[/ QUOTE ]
You go girl.
You can never have too much shampoo (or any other hair care product).