"Lay Up Treasures in Heaven?"

PinkPebbles

Hi Ladies –

What is your interpretation of Matt. 6:20. What type of treasures is the bible referring to?

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I’ll be honest and say Matt.6:20 have been on my heart for the past couple of weeks. I work in corporate America and witness how some people abuse their authority and mistreat others due to greed and a false sense of power. At the end of their journey their title, status, credentials, and accolades will have no value. What is going to matter the most to the Heavenly Father is how he or she treated the people that were in their life whether it was for a brief moment, season, or lifetime.

When I read Matt. 6:20, I interpret it to mean love God and love people. We should be concerned about our neighbors’ wellbeing; and help those who are in need.

I believe the treasures the bible is referring to are in Matt. 25:34-40.

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food,

I was thirsty and you gave me drink,

I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

36 I was naked and you clothed me,

I was sick and you visited me,

I was in prison and you came to me.’

37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[a] you did it to me.’

Ladies…please share your thoughts….

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This is a good topic for discussion :yep:

I remember my Mom would say often: "You can't take it with you."

This is part of my interpretation of this scripture. Don't hoard what seems to be a treasure. Focus more upon your life here after. Lay up your treasures, meaning to lay your heart, upon Heaven and all of it's glory.

So what are the treasures of Heaven? Peace of Heart, Mind and Body. Rather than worry here about riches and material gain / popularity gain... focus upon, restoring our souls and the souls of others. Learning to love, true love and to give it, freely. Believing God for who He is and standing upon it.

Iwanthealthyhair67

When I read Matt. 6:20, I interpret it to mean love God and love people. We should be concerned about our neighbors’ wellbeing; and help those who are in need.

I am reminded of Matt 12:
30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”

momi

Exactly. Investing in things that are eternal - not temporary. All of our works will be tried by fire. Those that have been unfruitful will be burned and worth nothing. Like in the situation shared by the OP - the rich man in Luke 16 spent all of his wealth on food and clothing for himself. He saw no need to share with the poor Lazarus. In the end he opened up his eyes in Hades - he enjoyed his wealth on earth but there was nothing stored up for him eternally.

PinkPebbles

This is a good topic for discussion :yep:

I remember my Mom would say often: "You can't take it with you."

This is part of my interpretation of this scripture. Don't hoard what seems to be a treasure. Focus more upon your life here after. Lay up your treasures, meaning to lay your heart, upon Heaven and all of it's glory.

So what are the treasures of Heaven? Peace of Heart, Mind and Body. Rather than worry here about riches and material gain / popularity gain... focus upon, restoring our souls and the souls of others. Learning to love, true love and to give it, freely. Believing God for who He is and standing upon it.

Shimmie the bolded really stood out to me. It speaks volumes....

I am reminded of Matt 12:
30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”

Amen!!!

I once read a testimony how a rich man was on his death bed. At that moment he realized what was truly important and that was his relationship with others and God.

Exactly. Investing in things that are eternal - not temporary. All of our works will be tried by fire. Those that have been unfruitful will be burned and worth nothing. Like in the situation shared by the OP - the rich man in Luke 16 spent all of his wealth on food and clothing for himself. He saw no need to share with the poor Lazarus. In the end he opened up his eyes in Hades - he enjoyed his wealth on earth but there was nothing stored up for him eternally.

Thanks for sharing!