Heaven, Hell or the grave

Ms.Honey

Scripture says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor.5:1-10). The soul/spirit does not only refer to the spirit but also to the mind and body (person) in certain cases in the bible.

Before Jesus died on the cross people did not go straight to heaven but to Hell also known as Paradise(the upper chamber of hell for those in His will), the Lower chambers of hell (Hades, a place of burning for those outside of His will), Abraham's Bossom, Captivity, etc.). He told the thief,"Today, you will be with Me in Paradise." Luke 23:33-43.

Jesus went to Hell and took captivity captive, removing them from hell and taking them to heaven. After that all who died/dies in His went/will go straight to heaven.

Last edited:

Ms.Honey

I always wanted to know about purgatory. Where is that in the Bible?

The term purgatory is not in the bible but I think they're referring to Abraham's bosom/Paradise/hell. That's Catholicism. Maybe one of the Catholic sisters will come in and answer.

dicapr

I'll be watching this thread. It should be interesting. All I'll say is that we( Wed night prayer meeting group) researched how hell was originally translated, at what we think of as hell now is completely different than its original meaning.

Ms.Honey

I'll be watching this thread. It should be interesting. All I'll say is that we( Wed night prayer meeting group) researched how hell was originally translated, at what we think of as hell now is completely different than its original meaning.

Do you mean the natural, earthly hell ( the burning trash heap) vs. the spiritual realm hell?

divya

My beliefs on this issue are based on the Greek translation of Hades. The Greek translation of Hades in this verse is the grave.

Acts 2:31 - He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

The translation then reads that Christ was not left in the grave. The same translation occurs in Revelation, dealing with what will happen at the end.

Rev. 20:14 - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Death and grave will be cast into the lake of fire. Meaning that no more will anyone have to enter the grave or have to die. It will all be over.

Also, when Jesus told that thief that he would be with Him in paradise, I understand the verse much differently using a Scripture interprets Scripture approach.

Matt 12:40 - For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

So we know that Jesus stayed in the earth (the grave) for 3 days and nights according to Matthew. After that He rose and walked on earth, until finally going back to Heaven. So there is no way that the statement could be literal. The thief could not have been with Jesus in heaven that day because we know Jesus did not ascend until a significantly later point in time. In Luke, the Greek translation of paradise is "future happiness." In other words, one the cross, Jesus told the thief that he would have future happiness with Christ. However, the thief was saved that very day and the promise of eternal life was his to claim. That, I believe, is the extent of the verse.

Last edited:

divya

:yep: It's really interesting.

Ms.Honey

My beliefs on this issue are based on the Greek translation of Hades. The Greek translation of Hades in this verse is the grave.

Acts 2:31 - He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

The translation then reads that Christ was not left in the grave. The same translation occurs in Revelation, dealing with what will happen at the end.

Rev. 20:14 - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Death and grave will be cast into the lake of fire. Meaning that no more will anyone have to enter the grave or have to die. It will all be over.

Also, when Jesus told that thief that he would be with Him in paradise, I understand the verse much differently using a Scripture interprets Scripture approach.

Matt 12:40 - For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

So we know that Jesus stayed in the earth (the grave) for 3 days and nights according to Matthew. After that He rose and walked on earth, until finally going back to Heaven. So there is no way that the statement could be literal. The thief could not have been with Jesus in heaven that day because we know Jesus did not ascend until a significantly later point in time. In Luke, the Greek translation of paradise is "future happiness." In other words, one the cross, Jesus told the thief that he would have future happiness with Christ. However, the thief was saved that very day and the promise of eternal life was his to claim. That, I believe, is the extent of the verse.

I don't think we have that much of a difference in interpretaion but in timing. Not so much as whether or not things did or will happen but more of when they did or will happen.

divya

I don't think we have that much of a difference in interpretaion but in timing. Not so much as whether or not things did or will happen but more of when they did or will happen.

Hmmmm, that very well may be. :yep: I will be back to discuss further, as well as discuss the 2 Corinthians. But the gym is calling...as well as my tax book. :grin:

dicapr

I see you've had that lesson study also!