LEAVING/PUTTING conditioner on hair?

shellzfoshizzle

My hair is very, very dry...and I made a moisture mix which consists of leftover hair products....

1. Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream
2. Pantene Relaxed and Naturals Conditoner
3. Random hair oils

I mixed all that together and smoothed it on my hair and tied it down (on dry hair). It's really laying down the newgrowth and everything.

Is it harmful to leave conditioner on my hair? I don't plan on washing my hair anytime soon and I may want to use this "moisture mix" everyday. Will all this cause breakage?

balisi

I don't see why that would cause breakage, especially if you don't make a habit of it. Beware of possible build-up though, especially from the Pantene.

Porsche19

Yes, pantene usually does have a lot of silicone in it. Watch out for silicone build-up.

I leave in an insane amount of conditioner (V05) in my hair everyday. It's the same amount of build-up that you'd get from a co wash. Basically I rinse my hair, apply the conditioner and oil and instead of rinsing it out, I just let it dry. At night I rinse it out and repeat. Saves money and works very well for hold and moisture. I even leave my deep conditioner in after I take my cap off.

So, don't be afraid! :)

Sosoothing

I dont think a small amount of conditioner left on the hair is harmful. But Im not sure about leaving large amounts of conditioner in your hair because there must be a reason the instructions direct you to rinse it out.

Tene

It shouldn't be a problem, I leave in condtitioner in my hair everday and I haven't had a problem.

Synthia

Shellz ... if you're hair is really dry, I don't think it's good for you not to wash your hair 'anytime soon,' as you said.

Water is the best moisturizer. You have to seal it in after you wash.

I know all hair chemistry is different, and people do a lot of stuff on this board that won't work for me and vice versa.

But here's the best way for me to get moisture/hydration:

1. CW daily
2. Bake in moisturizer once a week with a deep conditior under a low heat bonnet dryer.
3. Use a leave-in that seals my cuticle.
4. Use a hot oil treatment once a week.

I don't pile a bunch of leave-ins on my hair and my hair feels moist enough for me. I know people like different levels of moisture ... so maybe you'd like my method, maybe not.

But I do think washing more could help.

Porsche19

Good point Synthia.

If there is some reaosn you aren't goingg to wash your hair, dampening it with water before you apply the moisturizing mix would be better than just applying it alaone.