Coneless deep conditioner??

hottestdiva19

My hair is really dry and I believe it's due to all the cones, mineral oil, and lanolin in my products that I've been using over the years. Even my clarifying shampoo (Suave daily clarifying) has cones in it.:nono: I had no Idea that these ingredients were harmful to my hair until doing some LHCF research recently. I decided to change my regimen, but in order for my moisturizing leave-in Garnier sleek and shine to actually penetrate I need a coneless deep conditioner.

Here's what I now do on wash day once per week:

1. Pre-poo on dry hair for an hour with Suave tropical coconut conditioner.

2. Chelate and clarify with Nexxus aloe rid.

3. Shampoo with Henna Queen silk worm shampoo ( I know sounds disturbing).

4. Deep condition with either Pantene R&N mask or ORS hair mayo mixed with the replenishing pak for 15 min. under drier.

5.Apply Garnier sleek and shine leave-in conditioner on wet hair, seal with jojoba oil and then air dry.

In the future I plan to start co-washing once a week in order to boost my moisture level but it would defeat the purpose if the deep conditioner I use earlier in the week has cones in it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :wink2:

JustKiya

If you are switching to cone-free, you might want to decrease the rate of clarification - without the cones to strip off of your hair, it might be a bit too harsh. A sub for chelating (which I just learned about) is a citric acid rinse....

DC wise, I use Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Moisturizer - no cones, and it DOES say on the bottle that you can leave it in for a DC.

Or, I whip up something homemade like the caramel treatment....

hottestdiva19

If you are switching to cone-free, you might want to decrease the rate of clarification - without the cones to strip off of your hair, it might be a bit too harsh. A sub for chelating (which I just learned about) is a citric acid rinse....

DC wise, I use Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Moisturizer - no cones, and it DOES say on the bottle that you can leave it in for a DC.

Thanks so much for the quick response JustKiya. That citric acid rinse sounds like a good idea. I've been eyeballing that Elasta QP for a while now too. Think I'll have to give it a try :yep:

morehairplease

thanks JustKiya for posting this. what type of citric acid rinse would you rec?

tia,
tishee

JustKiya

thanks JustKiya for posting this. what type of citric acid rinse would you rec?

tia,
tishee

Straight citric acid (you can get it from FNWL, lotioncrafters.com (MUCH cheaper), and they sell it in the grocery store as pickling salt, I think it is).

I usually take about 2 teaspoons/little less than a tablespoon, add it to 8-10 ounces of water, close my eyes TIGHT, and pour it over my head. It IS an acid, and if you make too strong of a solution, it'll sting like a ****.

I use it almost like a baking soda rinse. It's also supposed to help your grays stay silvery (the chelating action, I assume).

Empress Yahudah

I use Kenra MC(moisturizing conditioner) and I love it:kiss2:
It dosen't have cones,mineral oil,or lanolin in it
I buy mine at Trade Secrets

HoneyDew

I think this depends on the person, their water quality and the other products they use. I am low cone which I have been for a month or so now and I use a chelating shampoo for one lather with every wash (1-2 times a week) and my hair is never stripped. I mean NEVER. I use Kenra Clarifying with every wash. I use cones only as a heat protectant. None of my shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers have cones.

At the same time, if I did not use the Kenra, my hair gets dry. I have hard water, though. If I don't use it, things get ugly.

I really think this depends on the person.

hottestdiva19

I too believe everyones different. I know some of our ladies here at LHCF love cones. My hair on the other hand can't stand them. That Kenra MC sounds delicious! I've been looking for something like this. Hopefully I can get it at my BBS or Sallys. Im not familiar with Trade secrets. Looked for the Elasta at Sallys but they didn't have it. Crossing my fingers that the BBS is carrying it.

PeggyFair

Short for silicones - added to a lot of hair products to make your hair 'shinier' and 'slipperier' - by putting a super thin layer of plastic on your hair, to all intents and purposes...

Thanks. If that's the case, then I love cones. My Smooth n' Shine Hair Polish has silicones in it and I love the way that smells and the way it makes my hair feel when I'm using it.