Length Check On 4c Hair -- How?

snoop

So this is more of a mini vent, but I don't use heat. The last time I did was about 3 years ago and I was too scared to do a hard press on it so it' looked more like a blow out. But I digress.

When I do a length check I find that in order to get a good idea of the true length I need to be standing in the shower to get a good stretch. Without it I don't get the same kind of pull.

I'm so jealous of those YouTubers who just do a slight tug on their shrunken hair and their hair travels down, down, down.

Am I the only one who struggles with length checks without heat?

My hair has to be straight to get a true length check. My hair is still shirt but the longer it gets the larger the difference between my true length and my stretched length. I just straighten on 300. I don't need it to be bone straight.

I can blow dry it and get some idea but that's still inches shorter.

My wet hair is going to be close to my stretched length.

I haven't straightened my hair since I started this HHJ in 2014, so I don't know how long it really is. Thanks to my wng life, it's easy for me to pull on some clumps for a length check (I also only do them on dry hair). I did blow out the front recently and that revealed my fulllness but I wasn't trying to get it dead straight. Currently, I have no desire to see myself with straight hair or deal with reversion, because my hair loves to do that.

Last edited:
I haven't used heat since I big chopped (April 2014) and I don't have any desire to do so. I just accept and work with what I have and that is 4c hair. In another few more years, I will know if I'm successful if the hair on the top section of my head reaches my collarbone. I just don't have the patience right now to do a blow dry and flatiron. I'll probably flatiron after I reach the goal I set for myself.:afro:

You guys with no desire to straighten your hair! :pyro:

Truth be told I'm getting excited to soon be able to claim in the WL challenge but I need to be able to verify my length (at least to myself). I'd only ever manager to reach CBL before...

Truth be told I'm getting excited to soon be able to claim in the WL challenge but I need to be able to verify my length (at least to myself). I'd only ever manager to reach CBL before...

@snoop For me now, it's two main reasons I don't; I don't think I'll be that surprised by my length and, I really can't be bothered to straighten yet. Just thinking about the work and fighting reversion (especially the first time) gives me the sweats. I do plan to straighten after I've gained a bit more length all round. I said to myself yr 3 but I'll see what the end of the year is saying.

I'd do it if my hair was as long as yours tho:look:. I'd be excited too:yep:.

Is there something inherently wrong with doing a wet length check?

I haven't straightened my hair in 2 years, I only rely on my shower length check to gage my progress. In the shower I'm able to stretch my 4B hair to my tailbone....does this mean (1) my straightened hair will only be WSL.(2) Is the water somehow overly elongating my hair and giving me a false sense of growth (I have low porosity as well as fine hair strands). (3) Has the hot water in the shower warmed my muscles thereby making me more limber/flexible. Does this mean that I'm better able to perfect a good ganster hair lean.

Sorry about the hijack but I need answer about wet length checks. TIA

*I need to stop hang out ET Forum and lurking. I'm on hairboard and don't know about hair, hangs head in real shame.

I haven't straightened my hair in 2 years, I only rely on my shower length check to gage my progress. In the shower I'm able to stretch my 4B hair to my tailbone....does this mean (1) my straightened hair will only be WSL.(2) Is the water somehow overly elongating my hair and giving me a false sense of growth (I have low porosity as well as fine hair strands). (3) Has the hot water in the shower warmed my muscles thereby making me more limber/flexible. Does this mean that I'm better able to perfect a good ganster hair lean.

*I need to stop hang out ET Forum and lurking. I'm on hairboard and don't know about hair, hangs head in real shame.
There's nothing wrong with a wet length check. For many people it is more accurate than stretched hair. It really depends on shrinkage.
With healthy hair, your wet hair will not be longer than your straightened curly hair. If you are tailbone wet, your hair will be thigh length or longer depending on your shrinkage.

If you really just want to know the length I don't think you should be afraid to straighten. I don't think you have to have it bone straight though to check the length. You can see you length well enough in the 300s. I think ladies get into trouble when they want it bone straight and flowing.

I have the same concerns as you about over elongation. ..

And I also want to take progress pics to post to the board...but from the shower? I don't know you all well enough, yet.:look:

Back