Lesser of two evils Dominican Blowout or Rollerset and flatiron?

kgard7777

Hello Ladies,

I would like to know with both methods being direct heat and damaging in the long run. Which method Dominican blow out or Rollerset and flat iron would be best to do over a longer period of time? This is of course with weekly deep conditioning (with hooded dryer) and protective styling each day except for the day either one of these methods is used...

Caramela

I def think that a the rollerset and flat iron would be less damaging. That round brush and blowdryer ripping through your hair is just so much manipulation.

*Happily Me*

Caramela said:
I def think that a the rollerset and flat iron would be less damaging. That round brush and blowdryer ripping through your hair is just so much manipulation.

I agree :)

kgard7777

Do you think with protective styles and moisture during the week and rollerset and flatiron on the weekend you can retain length?

*Happily Me*

kgard7777 said:
Do you think with protective styles and moisture during the week and rollerset and flatiron on the weekend you can retain length?

I do this.

On the weekend, i'll flat iron my hair but the very next day, i'll conditioner wash it. And i'll con wash all through the week. conditioner washes are protective styling for me because it's low maintenance, the light combing and it provides lots of moisture.

Last edited:

LovelyZ

kgard7777 said:

yup, this is my regimen too. i usually just flat iron the roots.

kgard7777

Thanks ladies,

I am so excited that others are doing this routine and still maintaining growth... do you think you see of your growth by doing this or just some considering you use direct heat each week? I know KiniKakes does this method too and we all know her hair is outstanding!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The lesser of the two evils would be Rollerset & Flat-iron. DivaStyle is someone who does this regularly and her hair is mid-back length!

bravenewgirl87

The rollerset. I believe that the dominican blowout is bad for your health! I mean, what if she has the iron up so high that your hair catches a fire??? And they flat iron your hair right after they are done blowdrying it. Not to mention the pulling on the hair from root to tip:nono:

Kari107

Rollerset and Flat Iron. This is the only method I use to get my hair straight. I'm tired of all the manipulation that goes into a dominican blowout. I used to get them every other month now I don't. First they use a fine tooth comb to get the hair to lay flat on the roller, they sit you under a very hot dryer, then finally they proceed to blowdry it straight with a hot handheld dryer while using a roundbrush:eek:. I believe the rollerset and flat iron is better in terms of manipulation and heat. Also, as long as you stay on top of moisture, protein, and maybe do a few protective styles you should be fine.

HoneyDew

I think I want to try this, but when I did it once, I felt that the hooded dryer was just TOO MUCH heat. Then I have to flatiron. :nono:

But it is nice to know that people are retaining this way.

I normally airdry and flatiron because my dryer gets so hot. But I bet that when rollersetting and flatironing, you can do it with the iron on a lower temp than when I airdry my texlaxed hair then flatiron to get a sleek look.

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies:)

I always thought that rollersetting your hair prevents you from having to use a flat iron.:confused: What does flatironing your hair after a rollerset do to your hair (take a way dents from he clips, remove frizz etc) someone please enlighten me, I'm kinda slow.:spinning:

gymfreak336

sweetcoco said:

I always thought that rollersetting your hair prevents you from having to use a flat iron.:confused: What does flatironing your hair after a rollerset do to your hair (take a way dents from he clips, remove frizz etc) someone please enlighten me, I'm kinda slow.:spinning:

Well, rollersetting does help stretch out new growth. For me just moisturizing my curls and cross wrapping at night smooths out my dents and such. I do however flat iron my roots when my new growth starts to get really tight. I actually thing that flat ironing the roots leds to less damage in the long run.

I dry on low heat and only flat iron on low heat. By flat ironing my newgrowth to soften it and smooth it out it lessens my manipulation damage throughout the week. Thats the killer in stretching.

sowhut

I kind of that they were pretty much the same:ohwell: . But I can definitely see what you guys mean about the round brush thing. I do the dominican blowout about once evey other month. I used to do it every week but I personally never had any damage from this. I believe that kinikakes also does the domincan blowout and her hair is pretty long. Im not sure if she experienced any damage from this or not.

*Michelle*

Most of the time...I either air/hood dry then flat iron. I'm no Kini, for sure, but I've been able to maintain my length and the health of my hair. For my hair I can use heat once a week with no problem. I'm working on convincing myself to rollerset...I just hate the dryer for so long!

I haven't ever had a Dom. Blowout...but it seems like a lot of heat/manipulation. Maybe it depends on the condition of the head of hair (shrugs shoulders)...

macherieamour

I rollerset, blow out the roots and then wrap my hair and sit under the dryer. It makes my hair just as straight as a flat iron but with a tad more body. The picture in my siggy is "fresh rollerwrapped hair"

HoneyDew

macherieamour said:
I rollerset, blow out the roots and then wrap my hair and sit under the dryer. It makes my hair just as straight as a flat iron but with a tad more body. The picture in my siggy is "fresh rollerwrapped hair"

You regimen is what I really want. It makes me think seriously about relaxing my hair bone straight. With my hair highly texlaxed the way it is , I cannot seem to get it straight while rollersetting. The only sections that are straight are my ends which had been relaxed bone straight at one point. The 4-5 inches from my roots just don't get it without that flatiron. :look: I am going to experiment this summer while I am taking a break from classes.

macherieamour

HoneyDew said:
You regimen is what I really want. It makes me think seriously about relaxing my hair bone straight. With my hair highly texlaxed the way it is , I cannot seem to get it straight while rollersetting. The only sections that are straight are my ends which had been relaxed bone straight at one point. The 4-5 inches from my roots just don't get it without that flatiron. :look: I am going to experiment this summer while I am taking a break from classes.

Yeah I think bone straight makes it lie flat but you might wanna try mesh rollers. The big blue bouffant kind, they will definately give you more tension so they hair will be straighter. I havent tried them myself but I remember hearing someone talking about them on the board a while back:D

Energist

I rollerset and then blow dry. The blow drying is easier on my hair, because the heat isn't really concentrated on any one spot. I also use an ionic rolling brush, so I hardly have any hair that comes out during this process.

hottopic

sweetcoco said:

Usually, the further away you are from your root the less elasticity your hair has (because of the perming). Your hair is stronger at the root and weaker when you start to get down to the end. So the easier thing to do is use the roller to get your ends straight and retain moisture. Then use the flatiron to get your roots the same.... :)