Local News Segment on Black Hair Care.

diamondlady

I was surprised that a local News show in Dallas did a segment on Black Hair Care. The focus was that many African Americans are going back to the old fashion ways of doing hair, The Pressing Comb. They actually went into local salons and talked about relaxers, flat irons, curling irons and healthy hair care practices.

syoulee1

That's pretty cool. I think the BEST stylist in Dallas for a press is this guy named Leon but he is always booked solid with starting appointments at 5:00 am

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Awww, I missed it
What channel was it on? Maybe Barbershop2 made them want to do a story on black hair

diamondlady

SuperGirl,

It was on Channel 11. What was so interesting to me is the fact that the trends in Black hair made the news. I saw another segment a few years ago (on the same channel) where they discussed braid hair styles and braiders. They were talking about how the state wants to make braiders have a license and deter people from braiding hair in their homes. Did you see that one? It was really interesting. In the past whenever they did something concerning black trends it was always be a white person that got the credit. When they talked about braids before it was Bo Derik they talked about for the movie "10". Now they seem to give Blacks credit for their own trends.

StarQuality

Channel 11 did this?

I've never been real big on watching the ch.11 newscasts but since they seem to be becoming more open minded, I might just give them a try once and a while.

Someone should do something about the black hair stylist situation in Dallas. Sorry to say, but Sometimes I feel like the focus in the black community here is the latest hairstyle with the most weave and gel. I don't know anyone who believes in their stylist 100%, most of people I know just do it themselves. I would really like to find a stylist in Dallas who was into to total healthy hair. I know I'll wake up now. Cause that must be a dream.

Okay I'll stop venting now.

diamondlady

Re: Channel 11 did this?

StarQuality,

I feel you.
You ain't never lied.
The stylist here in Dallas do more hair damage than help when it come to healthy hair care. I can give them one thing, your hair really looks good
when you leave but if you want to keep some hair, don't go there often.

They want to use 3 bags of weaves and a jar of Gel. If you have your own hair, they want to color it, cut it, perm it, fry it and when you start to lose hair they want to tell you how it's your fault.
Then they'll sell you 3 bags of weave and a jar of Gel.

CocoaCure

Man you guys are sooooooo right!!!! Now HOUSTON - that's a city that can do some hair!!! All kinds too - relaxers, texuturizers, naturals, presses, etc!! Can some of them move to Dallas???? It's just 4 hours away!! Please!!!

Melaninme

[ QUOTE ]
syoulee1 said:
That's pretty cool. I think the BEST stylist in Dallas for a press is this guy named Leon but he is always booked solid with starting appointments at 5:00 am

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he good at haircoloring? If so, how about haircoloring on natural hair? I would like to have highlights added to my hair this coming spring/summer, but I want to see someone who knows what they are doing.

cybra

[ QUOTE ]
diamondlady said:
StarQuality,

I feel you.
You ain't never lied.
The stylist here in Dallas do more hair damage than help when it come to healthy hair care. I can give them one thing, your hair really looks good
when you leave but if you want to keep some hair, don't go there often.

They want to use 3 bags of weaves and a jar of Gel. If you have your own hair, they want to color it, cut it, perm it, fry it and when you start to lose hair they want to tell you how it's your fault.
Then they'll sell you 3 bags of weave and a jar of Gel.

[/ QUOTE ]

DL, girl, I read your comment and spit soda all over my comptuer
You are too funny!

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
syoulee1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hair Designs by Leon? Leon with the loooooong nails? Leon with the shop that used to be on Spring Valley/Coit?

I used to go to him a long time ago for presses. He does presses and chemicals and prefers using very little oil. His favorite brand back then was Nexxus. I think his new location is somewhere on Beltline near Central Expwy.

Out of all the stylists I've been to, I liked Leon the best because he was the first stylist that didn't make my pressed hair feel all greasy. Honorable mention goes to an African lady (I can't remembr her name) who worked at Alfreda's salon located at Greenville/635. Her presses were pretty good, not too greasy.

syoulee1

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
syoulee1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hair Designs by Leon? Leon with the loooooong nails? Leon with the shop that used to be on Spring Valley/Coit?

I used to go to him a long time ago for presses. He does presses and chemicals and prefers using very little oil. His favorite brand back then was Nexxus. I think his new location is somewhere on Beltline near Central Expwy.

Out of all the stylists I've been to, I liked Leon the best because he was the first stylist that didn't make my pressed hair feel all greasy. Honorable mention goes to an African lady (I can't remembr her name) who worked at Alfreda's salon located at Greenville/635. Her presses were pretty good, not too greasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Girl.. Leon with the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG nails.
I have been to Alfredas and I think I know the lady that you are talking about can't remember her name though
I am telling you when Leon pressed my hair it wasn't greasy at all, it looked like I had a relaxer. I didn't know that he moved I think I might pay him a visit.