Why am I still saving my ceramic stove curling irons? Do you still use them?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I have a 1.5-inch Sedu and I love it. However, I wanna get a little more bend for some fuller curls this week. By the way, I was surprised by how full my hair looked after I used some KeraCare wrap/set lotion under the hooded dryer this week instead of just air drying. But now my scalp itches. :perplexed I knew there was a reason I stopped using wrap lotions. But that's not the issue.

I'm in need of a new 1-inch ceramic flat iron now to get some curls. Then I thought, hey, should I be buying ceramic curling irons instead? I haven't used curling irons in years. Does anybody use them or do you just work your magic with the flat-irons?

It took me years to collect the whole set of the professional irons that you heat on the ceramic stove thingie and I even have the whole rack for it and all. They've been packed away for years ever since the supposedly "non-damaging" ceramic electric flat-irons came out and before learning about proper hair care. The heating barrell is called a "ceramic" stove but the irons are that black metal so I can't see how this can be good for my hair. I haven't stepped foot in a hair salon in years and I'm wondering if they still use these?:look: I was tempted to pull them out and try them again to get the curl bend I wanted but I'm afraid. :burning:

Does anybody here still use theirs and do you think they cause more damage than the electric ceramic irons even though nowadays I'm using heat protectors?

Eclass215

That's so funny, I was just wondering the same thing. Once I finally learned how to use those curling irons, I was in heaven! Ever since I got my Chi in 2006, I haven't come close to a stove curling iron. When I do go to my stylist, she usually uses a Chi, but I did catch her put a few swipes of the stove iron in - I guess to get a certain look that wasn't happening with the flat iron. I think I'm done with them though.

I would love to know this as well. Prior to finding this site, I had just purchased a ceramic stove and iron but I have not mastered it so I have my mother do it. Since I am going to relax in two weeks I was thinking maybe I should have her use it but I am like how much damage is this crap going to cause? And, I usually do touch ups daily with a regular flat iron to keep it looking good and I don't think I want to do stuff like that to my hair anymore.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
That's so funny, I was just wondering the same thing. Once I finally learned how to use those curling irons, I was in heaven! Ever since I got my Chi in 2006, I haven't come close to a stove curling iron. When I do go to my stylist, she usually uses a Chi, but I did catch her put a few swipes of the stove iron in - I guess to get a certain look that wasn't happening with the flat iron. I think I'm done with them though.

I know, right! I remember thinking, how the heck do you use these curling irons that don't have the spring? Then I mastered it and that was all she wrote :grin:. So I guess they do still use the barrells occasionally in salons, huh.

And I like the curls you have in your siggie. If they were done with flat-irons then I guess I just need to just practice more on how to get a better bend.

SweetSpirit86

I haven't stepped foot in a hair salon in years and I'm wondering if they still use these?:look: I was tempted to pull them out and try them again to get the curl bend I wanted but I'm afraid. :burning:

Does anybody here still use theirs and do you think they cause more damage than the electric ceramic irons even though nowadays I'm using heat protectors?

At the bolded? Yep. rofl

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I would love to know this as well. Prior to finding this site, I had just purchased a ceramic stove and iron but I have not mastered it so I have my mother do it. Since I am going to relax in two weeks I was thinking maybe I should have her use it but I am like how much damage is this crap going to cause? And, I usually do touch ups daily with a regular flat iron to keep it looking good and I don't think I want to do stuff like that to my hair anymore.

I know, it seems like just as I got the complete set they came out with the good stuff.

I may have to experiment with a curl or two.

kweenameena

In my experience, Marcel irons seem to get my hair straighter than ceramic irons (I'm natural, though). But I'm scared to use them on myself. My stylist still uses the teeny tiny marcel iron on her customers' roots and uses the ceramic one for the rest of the hair.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
In my experience, Marcel irons seem to get my hair straighter than ceramic irons (I'm natural, though). But I'm scared to use them on myself. My stylist still uses the teeny tiny marcel iron on her customers' roots and uses the ceramic one for the rest of the hair.

Yeah, I remember getting really good curls with them. I had a short, spiky cut most of the time when I used them and I used to be able to do everything with those irons.

I never heard the word Marcel, is that what those types of irons are called?

Lucky's Mom

Since Marcels can get to up to 1000 Degrees Farenheit.... :eek:

I will never use them again..... I don't own any - but I won't use them.....

FHI in hand - I would not go back to the stone age.... JMO.

darlingdiva

I have some pressing combs & stove curling irons. I've never used the curling irons (and don't know how to). I save them b/c it's hard for me to part w/ stuff. I wouldn't dare use them now, though. Those things get way too hot. Plus, it's easy for me to make curls w/ my T3.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Since Marcels can get to up to 1000 Degrees Farenheit.... :eek:

I will never use them again..... I don't own any - but I won't use them.....

FHI in hand - I would not go back to the stone age.... JMO.

EEEK!!!:whyme:1000 degrees!!! No wonder I got such good curls!! Okay, gonna retire the set :nono:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I have some pressing combs & stove curling irons. I've never used the curling irons (and don't know how to). I save them b/c it's hard for me to part w/ stuff. I wouldn't dare use them now, though. Those things get way too hot. Plus, it's easy for me to make curls w/ my T3.

I know what you mean, just couldn't bare to part with them but I guess it's time :ohwell:.

Oh well, I'm on to obsess about which new ceramic irons to get!!

remilaku

I have a 1.5-inch Sedu and I love it. However, I wanna get a little more bend for some fuller curls this week. By the way, I was surprised by how full my hair looked after I used some KeraCare wrap/set lotion under the hooded dryer this week instead of just air drying. But now my scalp itches. :perplexed I knew there was a reason I stopped using wrap lotions. But that's not the issue.

I'm in need of a new 1-inch ceramic flat iron now to get some curls. Then I thought, hey, should I be buying ceramic curling irons instead? I haven't used curling irons in years. Does anybody use them or do you just work your magic with the flat-irons?

It took me years to collect the whole set of the professional irons that you heat on the ceramic stove thingie and I even have the whole rack for it and all. They've been packed away for years ever since the supposedly "non-damaging" ceramic electric flat-irons came out and before learning about proper hair care. The heating barrell is called a "ceramic" stove but the irons are that black metal so I can't see how this can be good for my hair. I haven't stepped foot in a hair salon in years and I'm wondering if they still use these?:look: I was tempted to pull them out and try them again to get the curl bend I wanted but I'm afraid. :burning:

Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send them to me. I work in a salon. I will take them off your hands!

pmichael52172

Well Darlingdiva, Hairsnob and anyone else - I'd be glad to buy them from you...seriously. I'm transistioning with my stylist's help. I'm usually a DIY'er but she's teaching me how to use stove tools now. I get muuuuch better, sleeker & longlasting results. I've got pressing down, now I'm working on stove irons.I have paypal and am ready to purchase if you're serious. PM me with the size irons you have if you're serious.

lexiwiththecurls

I would stay away from the stove iron if I were you...Ive had my hair burned many times with those by "professionals". When I am going to a new salon, the first question I ask is whether they use a stove iron on ceramic irons..if they still use stove irons...I don't go to them. Alot of salons still do have them. I guess its all in where you are from. My Cali friends think you can't get your hair really straight unless you use a stove iron. I just stay as far away from them as possible. In fact, I just gave mine to my friend..She asked me for "the burner" and I said "Umm, thats exactly what is does to your hair-burns it"...however, if you know how to use it properly, know proper temperature and everything, then I guess its okay. Just please be careful with that heat.