Long thin hair/healthy ends OR Long thick hair/not so healthy ends?

foxxymami

Okay, I know that an important part of growing our hair is to identify what type of hair we have and then to understand our hair (how it reacts to certain products, which styles are optimal for growth). The thing is, I've noticed that whenever I air-dry my hair, it sheds. And, I'm not just talking a few strands, I'm talking, I'll comb it after its dried and get hair strands all in the comb/brush...and it also sheds for days after...and this is the kind of shedding where it sheds when its being manipulated, sheds when its just sitting there, full strands of hair just sitting on my shoulder.

HOWEVER, whenever I blow it dry, I have veeerry little, if any shedding at all. I can comb it, run my hands through it...everything, with no problem at all.

So, I'm a little confused as to what to do. On the one hand, I want healthy and full ends, but on the other hand, I have been trying to combat this shedding problem for a while now. Can anyone offer any ideas on what exactly causes my hair follicles to stay put better when i blow dry my hair?

Add'tl info: I have 4a/4b hair, I rarely rarely use any other form of heat on my hair. My hair is at armpit length.

Thanks!

TigerLily

Have you tried any protein treatments? Deep conditioninig? I'd do that and see if it stops. Try some Nexxus Emergencee. Maybe you need to trim off an inch if your ends are fried.

To answer the question, I'd rather have long thick hair with not so healthy ends. I can always chop the ends off and baby them. Long thin hair just isn't cute at all!

MomofThreeBoys

Co-signing on the protein treatments. Also, have you tried doing rollersets? My hair comes out so soft with rollerset compared to airdrying.

mscounselor

I agree with the ladies. Some deep conditioning should help. I am totally for the roller sets. I NEVER blow dry my hair. For my hair that would mean BONE straight lifeless hair. Try the rollerset but let it dry naturally one day when you don't have to be somewhere quickly. My hair feels smooth and moisturized.
HTH!!
Answer to question: Long thick hair with bad ends.

mscounselor

Crysdon said:
What if your hair is naturally thin and long? There isn't much you can do about that, right?
That depends, Crysdon. I have thin hair, but alot of it. My mom has thin hair and roller sets and braid/twist outs work for her since it gives her volume.

foxxymami

Well, these are the things I tried (products or methods) before:

-Nexxus Emergencee (only used once because it seemed to CAUSE my hair
to shed more while using it and I got scared)

-Nexxus KeraPhix (Noticed no real difference)

-Roller Setting (Helps a lot, but i still find strands of hair throughout the day
that are just sheded and sitting on my back or shoulders)

-Wet Wrapping/Air Dry (Same as with Roller Setting)

-Wet Wrapping/Hooded Dryer (Better results...not as much shedding)

Maybe I'm not using the right techniques in conjunction with the right products and vice versa. I don't know. I just know that I get virtually no shedding when i blow dry and tie it up in a satin scarf every night.

And, I've never really had a problem with breakage. Only with shedding. :ohwell: It started a couple years ago when I got my hair styled in the twists secured with rubber bands at the top, and spiral curls in the back. (And this style was put into my hair by a stylist after I had gotten a fresh relaxer done by my mom) Well, I kept that style in for about a week then washed it out in the shower and my hair was coming all out. :eek:

And it's never really stopped since. Is it possible my hair suffered some kind of shock and thats why it sheds uncontrollably? But then why does it suddenly stop shedding when its blow dried? :perplexed

Sorry, if I'm confusing anyone. But I'm just a little confused myself in dealing with this dilemma. Help! If you need anymore hair background on me, let me know :(

mscounselor

foxxymami said:
Well, these are the things I tried (products or methods) before:

-Nexxus Emergencee (only used once because it seemed to CAUSE my hair
to shed more while using it and I got scared)

-Nexxus KeraPhix (Noticed no real difference)

-Roller Setting (Helps a lot, but i still find strands of hair throughout the day
that are just sheded and sitting on my back or shoulders)

-Wet Wrapping/Air Dry (Same as with Roller Setting)

-Wet Wrapping/Hooded Dryer (Better results...not as much shedding)

Maybe I'm not using the right techniques in conjunction with the right products and vice versa. I don't know. I just know that I get virtually no shedding when i blow dry and tie it up in a satin scarf every night.

And, I've never really had a problem with breakage. Only with shedding. :ohwell: It started a couple years ago when I got my hair styled in the twists secured with rubber bands at the top, and spiral curls in the back. (And this style was put into my hair by a stylist after I had gotten a fresh relaxer done by my mom) Well, I kept that style in for about a week then washed it out in the shower and my hair was coming all out. :eek:

And it's never really stopped since. Is it possible my hair suffered some kind of shock and thats why it sheds uncontrollably? But then why does it suddenly stop shedding when its blow dried? :perplexed

Sorry, if I'm confusing anyone. But I'm just a little confused myself in dealing with this dilemma. Help! If you need anymore hair background on me, let me know :(
WOW....thats terrible. If you blow dry and tie it down at night maybe you should add some extra time to your ends. I'm sure the other ladies can add their regime for their ends to help you out. I'm relatively new so I don't really have one yet.
HTH

TigerLily

Try some Garlic shampoo. That helps with shedding.

Have you tried greasing your ends, puttin a baggie on them and bunning them?

Honi

There is no board.
This may just be me but I don't think air dried hair is supposed to be combed. Unless you’re an airdrying expert like some ladies are and can get it to dry nearly as straight as when you blow dry then you should experience in theory less shedding. When I airdry it doesn't dry straight and looks kinda funny and I also experienced a lot of shedding/breakage. I haven't mastered it but it may be because I don't air dry it down and I put it up in a bun???? I stopped doing it after awhile. It was just too frustrating.

jamiette

foxxymami said:
Okay, I know that an important part of growing our hair is to identify what type of hair we have and then to understand our hair (how it reacts to certain products, which styles are optimal for growth). The thing is, I've noticed that whenever I air-dry my hair, it sheds. And, I'm not just talking a few strands, I'm talking, I'll comb it after its dried and get hair strands all in the comb/brush...and it also sheds for days after...and this is the kind of shedding where it sheds when its being manipulated, sheds when its just sitting there, full strands of hair just sitting on my shoulder.

HOWEVER, whenever I blow it dry, I have veeerry little, if any shedding at all. I can comb it, run my hands through it...everything, with no problem at all.

So, I'm a little confused as to what to do. On the one hand, I want healthy and full ends, but on the other hand, I have been trying to combat this shedding problem for a while now. Can anyone offer any ideas on what exactly causes my hair follicles to stay put better when i blow dry my hair?

Add'tl info: I have 4a/4b hair, I rarely rarely use any other form of heat on my hair. My hair is at armpit length.

Thanks!
I have the exact same hair type and experience the same problem with shedding when I air dry. I have tried all of the detagling techniques I could think of, even let it dry in braided sections, but still get the same results. I have decided to focus more on trying to keep it ultra moisturized and use less protein. Im hoping that this is the right combo :ohwell:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I may be a little late and I didn't read the entire thread but you should never try to comb air dried hair unless you moisten it with a moisturizer. Trying to comb air dried hair without moisture is a receipe for breakage. When I air dry in a bun I don't comb until the next wash. If I air dry in a rollerset I use a good moisturizer BEFORE I comb to help the comb slip through. If I wear a bun or twist and think I might comb later I sit under my hood dryer or bonnet dryer for 30 mins or so and air dry the rest.

HTH

foxxymami

Well, I believe I've tried airdrying then moisturizing before coming before, but I can't remember. Maybe I'll try that again....however, I'm almost positive I've never tried to run a comb through freshly air-dried hair. That would've been silly on my part if I did.

I guess I'm just frustrated and feeling hassled with all these methods when it seems like the easiest thing for me to do is blow-dry/moisturize, then baby my ends later.

I do apologize if I'm being a burden becuase it seems like I can't be helped.

Ms Red

Hi :wave: Maybe your hair would benefit from deep conditioning with heat? (Since the heavy protein seems to make things worse). :confused: Have you tried using a creamy conditioner (Cholesterol, Humectress, Humecto, etc), mixed with 100% Virgin Olive Oil, then covering your hair and sitting under the dryer for 30-60 min. on medium heat?

Since your hair seems to respond WELL to heat, this might be a way to get moisture into the hair shaft and lessen the shedding. . . After rinsing and getting as much water out as possible, instead of blowdrying I would then moisturize your hair with your favorite cream/hairdress, then lock it in with your favorite oil. Then wrap your hair while damp (not soaking). I noticed that you said this gives the second to least amount of shedding...Maybe when you comb down your wrap you will have a bit of shedding but throughout the day you hair will be ultra moisturizing and wont shed.

Good luck and keep us updated. You're not hopeless! :lachen:

Maxie5452

If you see a bulb at the end of the hair strand then its natural shedding and you shouldn't worry. But if your hair is breaking at the end/middle then you need to use a protein treatment to help seal some of the holes in your hair strands.

Protein is the only thing that can bind to the hair and make is stronger.

My suggestion; Use a mild protein treatment and continue to deep condition your hair every week. With time, your hair should get back on track...Good Luck.

Mizani_Mrs

I think simplycee's answer explains it all. I have the same issue to, and also the same hairtype. Usually if i partially airdry/domedry, my hair breaks alot when i comb it. so lately if i dry this way, i'll just roll with spongerollers and wear tightcurls and won't comb thru it. I have just went back to using my blowdryer (lowheat) because it leaves my hair smoothe and shiny. I just started using a paddlebrush and only drying like 4inches of the roots and not my ends. And only drying until my hair is barely damp. then i'll flat-iron the next morn for work. I am trying not to FEAR heat. I am hoping that using heat won't damage HEALTHY hair, but ABUSING heat will damage hair. I hope this statement holds true.
I'm coming to the realization that the only time I have nearly 0 breakage is when i get my hair professionally rollerset. it's because my hair turns out so smoothe and straight that i don't need to comb, i usually just comb with my fingers and use my steam rollers every morn. I'm trying not to be so lazy and go see my new stylist at least every 2 weeks.

simplycee said:
I may be a little late and I didn't read the entire thread but you should never try to comb air dried hair unless you moisten it with a moisturizer. Trying to comb air dried hair without moisture is a receipe for breakage. When I air dry in a bun I don't comb until the next wash. If I air dry in a rollerset I use a good moisturizer BEFORE I comb to help the comb slip through. If I wear a bun or twist and think I might comb later I sit under my hood dryer or bonnet dryer for 30 mins or so and air dry the rest.

HTH