HELP! Hair Shedding :-( Pics included

dede1129

Hello Ladies,

So let me get straight to the problem. I am texlaxed and I colored my hair with a semi permanent color by Revlon Colorsilk in Light Ash Blonde in June and ever since then I have noticed that my hair sheds and it never did before. I have increased my moisture by DCing more, using more oils, moisturizing and sealing and protective styling at least 5 days a weeks with buns but my hair still sheds:nono: By shedding I mean full strands coming out and although my hair is still full and growing healthy the shedding drive me crazy because it is guranteed everytime I comb or brush to have sheds of hair. It sheds most when wet so I hate to detangle. I have done protein conditioners too. Last time I did aphoghee before my hair was colored it broke off tremendously so I am scared to try that again. So I just use proteing conditioners like Main and Tale and ORS Repleanishing pack.

Products I use:

Main N Tale, Silicone Mix, ION Color Solutions Daily conditioners (for cowashes), EVOO, EVCO, Castor Oil, I used Hawaiian Silky to texlax a couple weeks ago.

What should I do? Below are pics of my hair.

Attachments

• BSL.jpg
    BSL.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 195
  • may 12.jpg
    may 12.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 179
  • beach2.jpg
    beach2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 172
  • hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 160
  • beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 160
dede1129 - Was this your first time using Revlon? Maybe you're having a reaction to an ingredient. Re: shedding, I'm trying to stretch, so I did a garlic DC a fews ago and it helped alot. I warmed some garlic oil pills for a few secs and added it to conditioner. There's other ways to make your own, but I wanted to use what I had on hand. GL!

@dede1129 - Was this your first time using Revlon? Maybe you're having a reaction to an ingredient. Re: shedding, I'm trying to stretch, so I did a garlic DC a fews ago and it helped alot. I warmed some garlic oil pills for a few secs and added it to conditioner. There's other ways to make your own, but I wanted to use what I had on hand. GL!

Yes this was my first time using this or any other semi permanent color. I will try the garlic DC, Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. the only thing I can suggest is black tea rinses and protein treatments. I just started using black tea so I can't really say if it's helping my shedding. my hair is still very thick but it just comes out in clumps. I was actually crazy enough to count my shed hairs and in 1 day I shed between 80 to 100 hairs and that was just with finger combing, just imagine if I was using a comb. I'm not going to worry about it too much because as long as I still have hair on my head and its still growing I think I should be fine. I think some people hair just sheds a lot but if I notice bald spots then I'm going to see a doctor.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

I'm in the same boat. the only thing I can suggest is black tea rinses and protein treatments. I just started using black tea so I can't really say if it's helping my shedding. my hair is still very thick but it just comes out in clumps. I was actually crazy enough to count my shed hairs and in 1 day I shed between 80 to 100 hairs and that was just with finger combing, just imagine if I was using a comb. I'm not going to worry about it too much because as long as I still have hair on my head and its still growing I think I should be fine. I think some people hair just sheds a lot but if I notice bald spots then I'm going to see a doctor.

What protein treatments have you done?

I'd say Dominican Products to the rescue!

Garlic Shampoo: http://www.amazon.com/Alter-Ego-Gar...qid=1346012342&sr=1-7&keywords=garlic+shampoo

Garlic DC: http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Treatm...qid=1346012342&sr=1-9&keywords=garlic+shampoo

Crece Pelo: http://www.amazon.com/Crecepelo-Tra...TF8&qid=1346012451&sr=1-2&keywords=crece+pelo

Plus Black Tea Rinses like pelohello suggested. Dominican products saved my hair when I was relaxed, and dying my hair, and shedding like crazy. Aphogee 2 minute helped a lot as well.

dede, I do the aphogee 2 step, as my heavy protein & joico kpak reconstucter as my light protein. For me I have been over moisturizing & i think b/c of that & my medication is why i have been shedding alot.

Black tea rinse helped my shedding.. It sounds like the color is the culprit. I wouldn't color again for a long while and maybe not go that light again. If u go aphogee do the 2 min keratin.

Thanks I will definitely try the Dominican products my hair gets restored with the Silicone mix and the 10 en 1.

@dede1129 what do you mean your hair never shed before? That's not normal. Hair that is growing sheds daily, up to 100 strands. You're either just more aware of it because you're now into growing your hair, or your hair is growing better than before and hence your hair is reaching its full cycle faster and shedding seems to be happening more.

Unless your hair is thinning or you're seeing bald patches, then shedding is a blessing. Also if you are detangling your hair better, combing it more, then instead of shed hair being caught in your mane, it's coming out and you're seeing it. Or if you go for long periods protective styling and then comb your hair once in a blue moon, all the 100's of hairs that would've shed if you'd combed it daily, come out at once...so it looks like a lot.

Otherwise, y'all need to stop freaking out about shedding. If I wasn't shedding 100 hairs a day, I'd be depressed. I'd seriously think I'd be balding soon. As long as I'm shedding, then I know my hair follicles are alive and well. Hair must be shed for a new hair to grow. And usually new hair is healthier than older hair as it is hair that arrives just when I'm getting better at my haircare. So it's hair that will enjoy the good regimen that the previousl hair played guinea pig to.

So only panic if your hair is thinning or you're seeing bald patches. Otherwise, praise God for shedding!

ETA: Shedding is different from breakage. Shedding is from the scalp and a bulb is usually attached. Strands w/o a bulb whether short or long could be breakage and for that, then you may be able to do something to stop the breakage (balance protein/moisture) or it could just be that hair that was already damaged has succumbed to it and a trim may be in order.

Last edited:
When I combed my hair before daily I would rarely gets strands unless I pulled really hard but now I can gently run my hair through my head and I will see strands. I am hoping that you are right that i am freaking out over nothing. I know shedding is normal, but mine just seemed a little excessive being that it has been such a drastic change.

so you are saying shedding means growth??

@dede1129 what do you mean your hair never shed before? That's not normal. Hair that is growing sheds daily, up to 100 strands. You're either just more aware of it because you're now into growing your hair, or your hair is growing better than before and hence your hair is reaching its full cycle faster and shedding seems to be happening more.

Unless your hair is thinning or you're seeing bald patches, then shedding is a blessing. Also if you are detangling your hair better, combing it more, then instead of shed hair being caught in your mane, it's coming out and you're seeing it. Or if you go for long periods protective styling and then comb your hair once in a blue moon, all the 100's of hairs that would've shed if you'd combed it daily, come out at once...so it looks like a lot.

Otherwise, y'all need to stop freaking out about shedding. If I wasn't shedding 100 hairs a day, I'd be depressed. I'd seriously think I'd be balding soon. As long as I'm shedding, then I know my hair follicles are alive and well. Hair must be shed for a new hair to grow. And usually new hair is healthier than older hair as it is hair that arrives just when I'm getting better at my haircare. So it's hair that will enjoy the good regimen that the previousl hair played guinea pig to.

So only panic if your hair is thinning or you're seeing bald patches. Otherwise, praise God for shedding!

Colorsilk is a permanent color not semi permanent, but it's supposed to be safe to use on relaxed hair. I think you just did your color too close to the time you did your relaxer. They say wait 2 weeks between relaxing and coloring with permanent color, but I have found with my hair I have to wait longer. I bleached my hair 4 months ago and I have just now relaxed it.

When I combed my hair before daily I would rarely gets strands unless I pulled really hard but now I can gently run my hair through my head and I will see strands. I am hoping that you are right that i am freaking out over nothing. I know shedding is normal, but mine just seemed a little excessive being that it has been such a drastic change.

so you are saying shedding means growth??

Yes! The hair cycle involves birth of a new hair, growth of the hair, resting of the hair, shedding of the hair. All hair strands go through this and every day you shed at least 50-100 hairs. You say when you were combing your hair you were not getting strands. You just were not noticing them because you were removing them immediately after they got loose. Now you're leaving strands in your hair from several days' shedding so when you do finally manipulate your hair... all those strands that had shed and just been caught within your hair all come out. You think they come out more easily but that's coz they already left your scalp and are just sitting in the mass of hair where if not removed they can cause serious tangles.

The only time shedding should worry you is if your hair looks thinner or you see bald spots. Every hair that is shed is replaced by a new hair so that is why you could shed 700 strands in a week and not see your hair look any thinner. You have about 100,000+ strands. So losing a hundred strands a day, strands that get replaced in no time is nothing to write home about.

ETA: Shedding is different from breakage. Shedding is from the scalp and a bulb is usually attached. Strands w/o a bulb whether short or long could be breakage and for that, then you may be able to do something to stop the breakage (balance protein/moisture) or it could just be that hair that was already damaged has succumbed to it and a trim may be in order.

great response!! i've been freaking out over my "excessive" shedding too. i feel better now.

This is great advice.

I used to worry about shedding a while back, but then I remember reading that people on average can lose up to 100 strands a day. As long as I see a lot more shed hairs than breakage, I don't worry. I only detangle with a comb once a week so I expect to see a lot of hair.

Back