Looking for new serum/balm- Any dryness with PM Super Skinny?

cocoagirl

So I am looking for a serum/balm to use after my leave in's to add shine and sleekness to my hair. Right now I am using combo of Darcy's Transitioning Cream and Kinky Curly for leave in's and am looking for a serum/balm to use, I also use Beyond The Zone Heat protectant so am only looking for something that will help with shine and giving hair a sleek look..Stumbled upon threads about the PM which most seem to like but I am concerned about the alcohol content. Has anyone experienced dryness using the PM Skinny serum or balm. Are there any recs for something that is just as good without the alcohol?

Ann0804

That was my staple when I was relaxed and it never dried my hair out. I used it a few times as a natural. I find that it smooths the hair, reduces frizz, detangles, smells really good and made my hair shiny.

Now for my roller sets I use Garnier sleek and smooth serum- works just as well for me and is really cheap.

Lissa0821

I have ditched Chi Silk infusion for Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum. I used the Chi for about 2 months and noticed it started drying out the very ends of my hair. I like the Super skinny because it is lighter than the Silk Infusion and I have yet to experience any dryness. Plus, I can still moisturize and seal using a cream leave in and oil in days following. With the Silk Infusion, once my ends were dry it was a wrap nothing could change that fact.

koolkittychick

PM Super Skinny is one of my staples. I have used it for 4 years now, and I have never experienced dryness using it on my relaxed hair. It's not cheap, but worth every penny. :yep:

loulou82

The alcohol within PM Super Skinny is an emollient (Benzyl Alcohol), not the traditional drying alcohols. For alternatives, I've used Chi Silk Infusion and Redken Smooth Glide (which I really like).

frizzy

I don't use serums much but the healing serum by Neutrogena and the Organix coconut split-ends serums made my hair feel good. Sorry I don't have the official names for them.

Rozlewis

I have had no problems using the PM Super Skinny Treatment or Serum. As a matter of fact, I use the treatment as my last and final rinse after DC'ing. No dryness at all.

AlliCat

Didn't like the PM serum

My all time fav serum is CHI silk infusion, leaves the hair really shiny and sleek. Also really like Aveda's brilliant emollient finishing gloss - it's extremely light and leaves high shine. My newest serum is the It's a 10 one.. it's pretty good so far

cocoagirl

Thanks everyone! I ended up buying thw generic version from Sally''s and am under the dryer with it now *fingers crossed* I also bought the generic PM Cream cuz it was a sale...

mschristine

I hear so much about these serums but I never know exactly what they're supposed to do or how to use them. Can someone please explain?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Serums I use that don't leave my relaxed hair dry:
Sally's GVP PM Super Skinny
Sally's GVP Chi Silk Infusion
Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid
Alfaparf Semi Di Linio Cristalli Liquidi
MoroccanOil Glimmer Shine Spray
MoroccanOil Serum

cocoagirl

I hear so much about these serums but I never know exactly what they're supposed to do or how to use them. Can someone please explain?
Serums can serve different purposes but mostly to smooth, remove frizz etc before styling. According to Paul Mitchell:

The Super Skinny Serum Basics:
Smoothes, conditions and seals strands.
Benefits:
Leaves hair smooth, shiny and frizz-free
in any weather.
Bonus:
Speeds up drying so you get silky smooth results in less time.
Details:

Our exclusive Super Skinny® Complex penetrates deep into hair to displace water and constrict hair for speedy drying and styling.
Lightweight silicones smooth, condition and seal hair with added shine.

Personally, I relaxed, deep condish'd, rinsed out, put on my leave-ins, then put a couple drops of Super Skinny in my hands and smoothed it through my hair and followed with my heat protectant, wet wrapped and sat under dryer...Only used it once and didn't have any problems, but am washing again tonight so we shall see

mschristine

Serums can serve different purposes but mostly to smooth, remove frizz etc before styling. According to Paul Mitchell:

The Super Skinny Serum Basics:
Smoothes, conditions and seals strands.
Benefits:
Leaves hair smooth, shiny and frizz-free
in any weather.
Bonus:
Speeds up drying so you get silky smooth results in less time.
Details:

Our exclusive Super Skinny® Complex penetrates deep into hair to displace water and constrict hair for speedy drying and styling.
Lightweight silicones smooth, condition and seal hair with added shine.

Personally, I relaxed, deep condish'd, rinsed out, put on my leave-ins, then put a couple drops of Super Skinny in my hands and smoothed it through my hair and followed with my heat protectant, wet wrapped and sat under dryer...Only used it once and didn't have any problems, but am washing again tonight so we shall see

Thank you!!