Loosening Texlaxed Curls

vkb247

I need your help LHCF. I want to do an all over corrective to loosen my curls more so that I can wear my hair out most of the time. I am so over my shrinkage and have been wearing mostly puffs for over a year.

Has anyone done this? Any advice on what I should or shouldn't do? My hair is in great conditioner besides my raggedy ends that have to go. I am thinking that I need to just touch up as normal and them pull the relaxer through my hair after the normal processing time right? I am thinking that I will need to process for about 20 minutes to get the look I want.

Rain20

In 20mins my hair would be bone straight, so our hair is definitely different. But have you thought about doing a BKT, like Softliss to stretch your relaxer. I have been using the liquid keratin tx from Ulta mainly for the protein. If I do it after Henna it really loosens the texture. The tx only lasts about 4-6 wks for me. I dont wear my hair straightened and wear wigs throughout the week. Otherwise you can put conditioner or oil on the hair especially ends and pull the relaxer through at the end. Pay close attention so you wont end up with straight ends.

vkb247

I should have said that the relaxer would be mixed with something. I usually use conditioner but I might put some coconut oil on my hair and then use a serum with SAA and hydrolyzed wheat instead. I normally process for twelve minutes so it would be about that amount on just the roots than I would pull it through for about 8 minutes or until I get the look I want.

I though about a BKT but I figure I will need to do it too often. I only texlax twice a year because I want to reduce my exposure to chemicals. I think that I want a more permanent solution. I have been trying to convince myself to wait another year to see if it will get bigger but I really am not loving my hair right now and want a change.

Last edited:

NikStarrr

I was texlaxed for over 3 years (pics in fotki). I'd had to do full correctives a couple times, and didn't have any issues. Maybe do it in sections--I use to do mine in 2 sections, part my hair ear to ear and then do the front section first, then wash out and neutralize, and then the back and then just wash out my whole head again. This gives a shorter application time and should help you to control the results a little better. You know though, with texlaxing--every process is somewhat of a crap shoot. You gotta just go for it. haha

CaliDiamond

Maybe you should try the non-chemical route first?

One word: HENNA! It makes the curls pop and drop!:grin:

Or if you do not want the reddish color that henna brings, try DCing with a thick moisturizing conditioner, then, seal conditioner with shea butter. Go under the dryer (medium heat) for 15-20 min. If you have fine hair, go easy on the shea butter tho. Produces defined curls everytime!

Last edited:

vkb247

Maybe you should try the non-chemical route first?

One word: HENNA! It makes the curls pop and drop!:grin:

Or if you do not want the reddish color that henna brings, try DCing with a thick moisturizing conditioner, then, seal conditioner with shea butter. Go under the dryer (medium heat) for 15-20 min. If you have fine hair, go easy on the shea butter tho. Produces defined curls everytime!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I henna like a fiend (every chance I get :grin:) and I don't have any problems getting my curls defined, especially if I use eco styler gel or KCCC. I just want my hair to look nice out and not shrink up to the same short length even though it is actually growing. I want big, out, hanging hair without the time or effort of setting it to get that look. But I still want it as curly as possible.

But that DC sounds too yummy :lick: I have yet to make shea butter work for me so I will definitely be trying that!

vkb247

I was texlaxed for over 3 years (pics in fotki). I'd had to do full correctives a couple times, and didn't have any issues. Maybe do it in sections--I use to do mine in 2 sections, part my hair ear to ear and then do the front section first, then wash out and neutralize, and then the back and then just wash out my whole head again. This gives a shorter application time and should help you to control the results a little better. You know though, with texlaxing--every process is somewhat of a crap shoot. You gotta just go for it. haha

I love your hair so much and whenever I thing about transitioning I visit your fotki. Your hair is so gorgeous!

There isn't any permanent chemical that I haven't applied to my own hair so I am up for the challenge! I think you are right about doing it in sections. My hair has 2 rings - each with a different texture - like a dart board with the bullseye being the coarser more delicate section at my crown. I think that I should probably go with 4 sections. :drunk: